Re: [pcgen] Re: Some questions and some feedback on batch-convert: no improvement for 6.00.0

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 11, 2013

      On 11/02/2013 11:48 AM rogerwllco wrote
      > If you would be able to get though all sources in one go, then some issues would be less annoying, as you'd not encounter them hundreds of times.
      >
      > It would be really nice if it didn't just output the warning and errors, but also the changes that it did make. Especially the ones that it takes user input though a popup window.

      I'll look into the feasibility of logging the changes. The key is
      providing something more useful than comparing the before and after
      files as this log will be really large. Logging just the input requests
      might be a good starting point, along with info at the start of the log
      about what it is processing.

      > As already mentioned in a thread in the LST forum, I had a real issue with it breaking Greater Weapon Focus, as it updated the syntax to post 5.17.4, while leaving the older incompatible syntax in Weapon Focus with a warning. I think it should either give two warnings, or change both.
      >
      > Next to that, when updating from 5.14 to 5.16, I could make changes in my 5.14 files to the converter would run without any warnings or errors, without breaking 5.14. I can't do that from 5.16 to 6.0 as the converter forces me to use 5.17 syntax. Maybe this is on purpose, as it's a major increase from 5.x to 6.x
      The converter should be able to take any file that loaded cleanly in
      5.16 and update it to 6.0 compliant syntax. Could you please raise a bug
      for the syntax you had to change so that we can investigate it.

      > To make it easy for you to reply to the points I raised, here's a comprehensive list:
      >
      > - It hangs if you feed it multiple sources. (No progress for more than 15 minutes). If it's a memory limitation problem, please provide a .bat/.sh with working settings in the distribution.

      This is a memory problem - the solution is to have a shortcut such as
      java -Xmx512m -jar batch-convert.jar
      Now this is already the case in Windows (I'll actually increase the
      memory there too) but I think we need to update the shortcut in Mac to
      have the same settings. The intention is that you should be able to
      convert a whole game mode in one run.

      > - It doesn't remember settings/selections. This is especially a pain because you have to convert all datasets one-by-one, check for errors, and then try again. (I noticed later that it does remember the Destination Folder now)
      The output folder was (for me) the most annoying, so that is the one I
      sorted out. We can also save the selected game mode and source selection
      for a rerun.

      > - It doesn't allow to use Previous after conversion, so you can't try again without having to do all settings again.

      This is intentional. We want to ensure a clean rerun and that is
      reasonably hard to guarantee after the conversion run. Recalling the
      settings is a safer option I think.

      > - If you try again, you have to remember to delete the previous result, there is no option to choose to overwrite and/or replace an earlier conversion attempt.
      Interesting suggestion. The file handling is built to defend against the
      user trying to save over their data. Its a natural choice, but would be
      a very bad one in this situation. I think we need to maintain that
      conservative approach, but having a replace option could be worked into
      that.

      > - It doesn't give line numbers on the errors and warnings it reports.
      I'll look into the feasibility of that.

      > - File location browser isn't OS aware: no quick way to select locations by defining them as Places in OSX.

      Apple suggest using the |java.awt.FileDialog [1] - I'll look into that.

      > - It would be nice if it would do the conversion of more deprecated formats by itself. LANGAUTO - AUTO:LANG, FAVCLASS:Any, PREWEAPONPROF for example.
      You get deprecation warnings shown, but the conversion is generally done
      in the background, that's the purpose of the converter. e.g. LANGAUTO is
      converted to AUTO:LANG automatically. We can't do anything for the 5.16
      converter now, but if you see this in the 6.0 converter please raise a
      bug in jira with the syntax it encountered, the message it produced, the
      syntax after the conversion and what you expected it to be.

      > - A lot of superfluous clicking is involved. Several times clicking Next in the Wizard doesn't really do anything.

      We could avoid one click at the start and one at the end I think. The
      others are needed.

      > - It doesn't convert gameMode.

      No, that's out of scope currently as the game mode tokens work
      differently. On the positive side there are vastly fewer game mode files
      and the tokens are more stable so hopefully it is a lower load to do
      manually until we get to them.

      > - Changes it does make aren't logged anywhere. Especially where users are requested for input via a popup window this would be very useful as it allows you to revisit the choices you made. I for example get a popup window for Spell Mastery, but I have no clue what it wants me to do and it accepts a blank input. Unless I remember that I need to look into that, I'm probably left with a broken Spell Mastery.

      The choice requests have been improved in 6.0, see above for logging
      discussion.

      > - It breaks CHOOSE:FEAT=featname because featname can be written in deprecated syntax not compatible with the 5.17.4 syntax it forces you to use. As this is not logged, it's very hard to trace what needs fixing except indirectly though the deprecated warning on featname.
      Could you raise a bug for this please? As before please include the
      before and after syntax and the version of the converter you are using.

      One thing that might be useful to know is that we aim to have data that
      loads cleanly in 5.16 (i.e. no errors or deprecation warnings) able to
      be loaded in 6.0. There will be heaps of deprecation warnings, but it
      should run.

      [1]
      https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Java/Conceptual/Java14Development/07-NativePlatformIntegration/NativePlatformIntegration.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001909-212760

      Cheers,
      James.

    • rogerwllco
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 14, 2013
        Hi, I've gotten some JIRA mails showing you've already been busy fixing some of these issues. Thank you for the swift response. My involvement with PCGen is often intermittent, as I have a busy job and other obligations. I'm just happy that you, Andrew and others are looking into things.
        I know it's a volunteer project, so I don't expect immediate responses, I understand if things take a few months or even more for big changes. Even people working full time on software often struggle to make big changes on that kind of time scales.

        I also want to add that I was wrong on some of the things I mentioned. I assumed that if I got a deprecated warning, I still needed to go into the LST file and make changes myself, like in most cases for the 5.16 converter. But apparently it gives a warning and then changes things to the new syntax anyway in the 6.00 converter.
        My only excuse for not noticing this is that I was working on this rather late, well past midnight as having converted to 5.16, I wanted to give 6.00 a go.

        See my inline responses below.

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > On 11/02/2013 11:48 AM rogerwllco wrote
        > > If you would be able to get though all sources in one go, then some issues would be less annoying, as you'd not encounter them hundreds of times.
        > >
        > > It would be really nice if it didn't just output the warning and errors, but also the changes that it did make. Especially the ones that it takes user input though a popup window.
        >
        > I'll look into the feasibility of logging the changes. The key is
        > providing something more useful than comparing the before and after
        > files as this log will be really large. Logging just the input requests
        > might be a good starting point, along with info at the start of the log
        > about what it is processing.

        Yes, logging something along the lines of
        Need help with underlying type for CHOOSE:FEAT=Spell Focus which is used in Greater Spell Focus in file file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/players_handbook/phb_d20_fantasy_v35e_feat.lst

        I now have a txt file open into which I write these things down as I get them, as a reminder of what I need to check. I get 19 popups on my current datasets, so it's doable to write it down, but it wouldn't bloat the logging very much either.

        > > As already mentioned in a thread in the LST forum, I had a real issue with it breaking Greater Weapon Focus, as it updated the syntax to post 5.17.4, while leaving the older incompatible syntax in Weapon Focus with a warning. I think it should either give two warnings, or change both.
        > >
        > > Next to that, when updating from 5.14 to 5.16, I could make changes in my 5.14 files to the converter would run without any warnings or errors, without breaking 5.14. I can't do that from 5.16 to 6.0 as the converter forces me to use 5.17 syntax. Maybe this is on purpose, as it's a major increase from 5.x to 6.x
        > The converter should be able to take any file that loaded cleanly in
        > 5.16 and update it to 6.0 compliant syntax. Could you please raise a bug
        > for the syntax you had to change so that we can investigate it.

        Sorry, my account of what happens is wrong. Doing these things late in the evening has made me confuse things.

        What I had was
        Weapon Focus ... CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFS|SpellCaster.Ray|ADD.Grapple|LIST
        Weapon Specialization ... CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus

        Both were deprecated in 5.17.4, but valid in 6.00 as you describe.

        For Weapon Focus, I get a deprecation warning in the log:
        LSTWARN CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFS has been deprecated, please use CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY
        For Weapon Specialization the converter forces me to change the syntax to CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY|FEAT=Weapon Focus
        Apparently this also changes Weapon Focus even though the warning tells me that I have to do that myself:
        CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY|Grapple|PC|SPELLCASTER[Ray]

        I was confused here because if the 5.16 converter gives a warngin that you have to change something yourself, it doesn't go ahead and change it anyway.

        > > To make it easy for you to reply to the points I raised, here's a comprehensive list:
        > >
        > > - It hangs if you feed it multiple sources. (No progress for more than 15 minutes). If it's a memory limitation problem, please provide a .bat/.sh with working settings in the distribution.
        >
        > This is a memory problem - the solution is to have a shortcut such as
        > java -Xmx512m -jar batch-convert.jar
        > Now this is already the case in Windows (I'll actually increase the
        > memory there too) but I think we need to update the shortcut in Mac to
        > have the same settings. The intention is that you should be able to
        > convert a whole game mode in one run.

        I made a batch-converter.command file (needs +x rights):
        #!/bin/sh
        cd "`dirname \"$0\"`"
        java -Xmx512m -jar batch-convert.jar

        This allows me to run the converter on all datasets at once. Providing this in the distribution would be a great help.

        I do get a lot of errors like this:
        01:05:12.644 SEVERE Thread-5 pcgen.persistence.lst.SimpleLoader processToken Error found loading class pcgen.cdom.content.TabInfo Class from file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/PCGen%206.00.0.app/Contents/Resources/Java/system/gameModes/CMP_D20_Fantasy_v35e/miscinfo.lst

        01:19:35.760 LSTERROR Thread-4 pcgen.persistence.lst.SimpleLoader processToken Illegal Token 'CONTEXT' 'tabpages\players\inventory\inventorytempbonus.html' for pcgen.cdom.content.TabInfo TempMod in null

        > > - It doesn't remember settings/selections. This is especially a pain because you have to convert all datasets one-by-one, check for errors, and then try again. (I noticed later that it does remember the Destination Folder now)
        > The output folder was (for me) the most annoying, so that is the one I
        > sorted out. We can also save the selected game mode and source selection
        > for a rerun.

        That would be very helpful.

        > > - It doesn't allow to use Previous after conversion, so you can't try again without having to do all settings again.
        >
        > This is intentional. We want to ensure a clean rerun and that is
        > reasonably hard to guarantee after the conversion run. Recalling the
        > settings is a safer option I think.

        You refuse to overwrite any existing files so I don't see what the reason would be, but I'm not familiar with the internal logic of the converter.

        > > - If you try again, you have to remember to delete the previous result, there is no option to choose to overwrite and/or replace an earlier conversion attempt.
        > Interesting suggestion. The file handling is built to defend against the
        > user trying to save over their data. Its a natural choice, but would be
        > a very bad one in this situation. I think we need to maintain that
        > conservative approach, but having a replace option could be worked into
        > that.

        I understand that you don't want the user to overwrite existing data without an explicit confirmation that this is their intent. but a Replace/Cancel dialog would be nice.

        > > - It doesn't give line numbers on the errors and warnings it reports.
        > I'll look into the feasibility of that.

        It would be very helpful.

        > > - File location browser isn't OS aware: no quick way to select locations by defining them as Places in OSX.
        >
        > Apple suggest using the |java.awt.FileDialog [1] - I'll look into that.

        If you make the program remember the previous selections, it's less of an issue as it's mainly navigating the OSX .app bundle that makes things such a pain.

        > > - It would be nice if it would do the conversion of more deprecated formats by itself. LANGAUTO - AUTO:LANG, FAVCLASS:Any, PREWEAPONPROF for example.
        > You get deprecation warnings shown, but the conversion is generally done
        > in the background, that's the purpose of the converter. e.g. LANGAUTO is
        > converted to AUTO:LANG automatically. We can't do anything for the 5.16
        > converter now, but if you see this in the 6.0 converter please raise a
        > bug in jira with the syntax it encountered, the message it produced, the
        > syntax after the conversion and what you expected it to be.

        This is another one where I should have paid closer attention late in the evening. The converter gives a warning that LANGAUTO is deprecated and that I should change it, but then changes it for me anyway. I assumed the same behaviour as the 5.16 converter, which either changes things, or gives a warning that you should change things yourself.

        > > - A lot of superfluous clicking is involved. Several times clicking Next in the Wizard doesn't really do anything.
        >
        > We could avoid one click at the start and one at the end I think. The
        > others are needed.

        I see you already fixed this. Thank you.

        > > - It doesn't convert gameMode.
        >
        > No, that's out of scope currently as the game mode tokens work
        > differently. On the positive side there are vastly fewer game mode files
        > and the tokens are more stable so hopefully it is a lower load to do
        > manually until we get to them.
        >

        > > - Changes it does make aren't logged anywhere. Especially where users are requested for input via a popup window this would be very useful as it allows you to revisit the choices you made. I for example get a popup window for Spell Mastery, but I have no clue what it wants me to do and it accepts a blank input. Unless I remember that I need to look into that, I'm probably left with a broken Spell Mastery.
        >
        > The choice requests have been improved in 6.0, see above for logging
        > discussion.

        I get dialogs like
        - "Please provide class spell list which Innate Spell modifies"
        - "Please provide SPELLSTAT (abbreviation) for Class"
        Both have en empty edit window. I have no clue what to enter here. The first one at least gives a clue that it's probably something to do with Innate Spell, so some grep and find magic might give me a clue which file I need to look at.
        The second message I have no clue what's causing it and what dataset and file I should go and look at.

        Some of the other popups are reasonably helpful:
        Need help with underlying type for CHOOSE:FEAT=Improved Critical which is used in Overwhelming Critical in file file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/dungeon_masters_guide/dmg_d20_fantasy_v35e_feat.lst

        I also get things like:

        SEVERE Bad roll string in 'Spell': java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "Spell"
        java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "Spell"
        at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:48)
        at pcgen.core.RollInfo.parseRollInfo(Unknown Source)
        at pcgen.core.RollInfo.validateRollString(Unknown Source)
        at plugin.lsttokens.equipment.DamageToken.parseNonEmptyToken(Unknown Source)
        at plugin.lsttokens.equipment.DamageToken.parseNonEmptyToken(Unknown Source)
        at pcgen.rules.persistence.token.AbstractNonEmptyToken.parseToken(Unknown Source)
        at pcgen.rules.persistence.TokenSupport.processToken(Unknown Source)
        at pcgen.rules.context.LoadContext.processToken(Unknown Source)
        at pcgen.gui.converter.DefaultTokenProcessor.process(Unknown Source)
        at pcgen.gui.converter.TokenConverter.process(Unknown Source)
        at pcgen.gui.converter.loader.EquipmentLoader.processToken(Unknown Source)
        at pcgen.gui.converter.loader.EquipmentLoader.process(Unknown Source)
        at pcgen.gui.converter.LSTConverter.load(Unknown Source)
        at pcgen.gui.converter.LSTConverter.startItem(Unknown Source)
        at pcgen.gui.converter.LSTConverter.processCampaign(Unknown Source)
        at pcgen.gui.converter.panel.RunConvertPanel$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

        Which are also hard to trace down.

        > > - It breaks CHOOSE:FEAT=featname because featname can be written in deprecated syntax not compatible with the 5.17.4 syntax it forces you to use. As this is not logged, it's very hard to trace what needs fixing except indirectly though the deprecated warning on featname.
        > Could you raise a bug for this please? As before please include the
        > before and after syntax and the version of the converter you are using.
        >
        > One thing that might be useful to know is that we aim to have data that
        > loads cleanly in 5.16 (i.e. no errors or deprecation warnings) able to
        > be loaded in 6.0. There will be heaps of deprecation warnings, but it
        > should run.

        See my earlier comment.

        > [1]
        > https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Java/Conceptual/Java14Development/07-NativePlatformIntegration/NativePlatformIntegration.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001909-212760
        >
        > Cheers,
        > James.

      • James Dempsey
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 15, 2013
          Hi Adriaan,

          On 15/02/2013 12:07 PM rogerwllco wrote
          > Hi, I've gotten some JIRA mails showing you've already been busy fixing some of these issues. Thank you for the swift response. My involvement with PCGen is often intermittent, as I have a busy job and other obligations. I'm just happy that you, Andrew and others are looking into things.
          > I know it's a volunteer project, so I don't expect immediate responses, I understand if things take a few months or even more for big changes. Even people working full time on software often struggle to make big changes on that kind of time scales.

          Thanks. I like to strike when the iron is hot when I can and thus get
          feedback from people while the subject is topical. Its not always
          possible but it has been in this case.

          So far I have made the following changes in trunk and will try to port
          them back for the upcoming prod patch.

          * [CODE-2064 <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-2064>] - Data
          Converter - Reduce Next clicks
          * [CODE-2069 <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-2069>] - Data
          Converter - Record changes to a log file
          * [CODE-2070 <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-2070>] - Data
          Converter - Remember settings between runs

          The plan is to do a bit more work on logging, add a note about
          deprecation message to the processing window, chat with Eric about the
          Mac shortcut and then port this back so that it is in the upcoming
          production patch.

          > I also want to add that I was wrong on some of the things I mentioned. I assumed that if I got a deprecated warning, I still needed to go into the LST file and make changes myself, like in most cases for the 5.16 converter. But apparently it gives a warning and then changes things to the new syntax anyway in the 6.00 converter.
          > My only excuse for not noticing this is that I was working on this rather late, well past midnight as having converted to 5.16, I wanted to give 6.00 a go.

          I'll add a note about that to the conversion screen - it is useful to
          know that the behaviour is not obvious. generally unless the deprecation
          message says it has to be done manually, the converter will deal with
          the transition to the new syntax. We may not always have that ready
          until the prod release though (e.g. the TEMPBONUS change in the trunk
          currently).

          > See my inline responses below.
          >

          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey wrote:
          [snip out things already answered]

          >>> - It hangs if you feed it multiple sources. (No progress for more than 15 minutes). If it's a memory limitation problem, please provide a .bat/.sh with working settings in the distribution.
          >> This is a memory problem - the solution is to have a shortcut such as
          >> java -Xmx512m -jar batch-convert.jar
          >> Now this is already the case in Windows (I'll actually increase the
          >> memory there too) but I think we need to update the shortcut in Mac to
          >> have the same settings. The intention is that you should be able to
          >> convert a whole game mode in one run.
          >>
          > I made a batch-converter.command file (needs +x rights):
          > #!/bin/sh
          > cd "`dirname \"$0\"`"
          > java -Xmx512m -jar batch-convert.jar
          >
          > This allows me to run the converter on all datasets at once. Providing this in the distribution would be a great help.
          >
          > I do get a lot of errors like this:
          > 01:05:12.644 SEVERE Thread-5 pcgen.persistence.lst.SimpleLoader processToken Error found loading class pcgen.cdom.content.TabInfo Class from file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/PCGen%206.00.0.app/Contents/Resources/Java/system/gameModes/CMP_D20_Fantasy_v35e/miscinfo.lst
          >
          > 01:19:35.760 LSTERROR Thread-4 pcgen.persistence.lst.SimpleLoader processToken Illegal Token 'CONTEXT' 'tabpages\players\inventory\inventorytempbonus.html' for pcgen.cdom.content.TabInfo TempMod in null

          That sounds a lot like the working directory is incorrect and it has not
          been able to find the token plugins jars. I don't know enough about the
          Mac setup to provide any advice past that sorry.

          >>> - Changes it does make aren't logged anywhere. Especially where users are requested for input via a popup window this would be very useful as it allows you to revisit the choices you made. I for example get a popup window for Spell Mastery, but I have no clue what it wants me to do and it accepts a blank input. Unless I remember that I need to look into that, I'm probably left with a broken Spell Mastery.
          >> The choice requests have been improved in 6.0, see above for logging
          >> discussion.
          >>
          > I get dialogs like
          > - "Please provide class spell list which Innate Spell modifies"
          > - "Please provide SPELLSTAT (abbreviation) for Class"
          > Both have en empty edit window. I have no clue what to enter here. The first one at least gives a clue that it's probably something to do with Innate Spell, so some grep and find magic might give me a clue which file I need to look at.
          > The second message I have no clue what's causing it and what dataset and file I should go and look at.
          >
          > Some of the other popups are reasonably helpful:
          > Need help with underlying type for CHOOSE:FEAT=Improved Critical which is used in Overwhelming Critical in file file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/dungeon_masters_guide/dmg_d20_fantasy_v35e_feat.lst

          Ah those would be for things that we do not see in the public data, so
          we have less understanding of. Logging the dialog content is certainly
          possible and I can do a check for those that still exist in the 6.0
          converter to see if they can be improved.

          > I also get things like:
          >
          > SEVERE Bad roll string in 'Spell': java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "Spell"
          > java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "Spell"
          > at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:48)
          > at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:449)
          > at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:499)
          > at pcgen.core.RollInfo.parseRollInfo(Unknown Source)
          > at pcgen.core.RollInfo.validateRollString(Unknown Source)
          > at plugin.lsttokens.equipment.DamageToken.parseNonEmptyToken(Unknown Source)
          > at plugin.lsttokens.equipment.DamageToken.parseNonEmptyToken(Unknown Source)
          > at pcgen.rules.persistence.token.AbstractNonEmptyToken.parseToken(Unknown Source)
          > at pcgen.rules.persistence.TokenSupport.processToken(Unknown Source)
          > at pcgen.rules.context.LoadContext.processToken(Unknown Source)
          > at pcgen.gui.converter.DefaultTokenProcessor.process(Unknown Source)
          > at pcgen.gui.converter.TokenConverter.process(Unknown Source)
          > at pcgen.gui.converter.loader.EquipmentLoader.processToken(Unknown Source)
          > at pcgen.gui.converter.loader.EquipmentLoader.process(Unknown Source)
          > at pcgen.gui.converter.LSTConverter.load(Unknown Source)
          > at pcgen.gui.converter.LSTConverter.startItem(Unknown Source)
          > at pcgen.gui.converter.LSTConverter.processCampaign(Unknown Source)
          > at pcgen.gui.converter.panel.RunConvertPanel$1.run(Unknown Source)
          >
          > Which are also hard to trace down.

          Each individual case of those needs to be reported and chased down. That
          one I can see is a bad roll string in a DAMAGE token value. I'm adding
          some more validation to that case now.

          Cheers,
          James.

        • rogerwllco
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 16, 2013
            > Each individual case of those needs to be reported and chased down. That
            > one I can see is a bad roll string in a DAMAGE token value. I'm adding
            > some more validation to that case now.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > James.

            Below is a full report of what a run of the converter produces on my data in the log. There are two tracebacks like that in there and some other stuff like an empty SEVERE. Below it is a full list of the popups I get. The converter also puts a lot of stuff into the console that doesn't end up in the log, do you want that as well?:

            file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/dungeon_masters_guide/dmg_d20_fantasy_v35e_feat.lst
            LSTWARN CHOOSE:SPELLLEVEL with first argument integer is deprecated (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/dungeon_masters_guide/dmg_d20_fantasy_v35e_feat.lst)
[...]
            LSTWARN CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED has been deprecated, please use CHOOSE:SKILL| (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/dungeon_masters_guide/dmg_d20_fantasy_v35e_feat.lst)
            LSTWARN CHOOSE:SPELLLEVEL with first argument integer is deprecated (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/dungeon_masters_guide/dmg_d20_fantasy_v35e_feat.lst)
            LSTWARN CHOOSE:SPELLLEVEL with first argument integer is deprecated (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/dungeon_masters_guide/dmg_d20_fantasy_v35e_feat.lst)

            file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/dungeon_masters_guide/dmg_d20_fantasy_v35e_equip_wondrous.lst
            LSTWARN LANGAUTO has been deprecated, please use AUTO:LANG (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/dungeon_masters_guide/dmg_d20_fantasy_v35e_equip_wondrous.lst)

            file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/dungeon_masters_guide/dmg_d20_fantasy_v35e_equip_rodstaffwand.lst
            LSTERROR DAMAGE is invalid: Bad roll parsing in '0d0': sides < 1: 0 (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/dungeon_masters_guide/dmg_d20_fantasy_v35e_equip_rodstaffwand.lst)
            LSTERROR Illegal Token 'DAMAGE' '0d0' for pcgen.core.Equipment 44Test33 DAMAGE:0d0 in file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/dungeon_masters_guide/dmg_d20_fantasy_v35e_equip_rodstaffwand.lst
            SEVERE Unable to unparse: DAMAGE:0d0

            file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/monster_manual/mmanl_d20_fantasy_v35e_feat.lst
            LSTWARN CHOOSE:FEATLIST has been deprecated, please use CHOOSE:FEAT|PC[x] (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/monster_manual/mmanl_d20_fantasy_v35e_feat.lst)
            LSTWARN CHOOSE:FEATLIST has been deprecated, please use CHOOSE:FEAT|PC[x] (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/monster_manual/mmanl_d20_fantasy_v35e_feat.lst)
            LSTWARN CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFS has been deprecated, please use CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY| (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/monster_manual/mmanl_d20_fantasy_v35e_feat.lst)
            LSTWARN CHOOSE:FEATLIST has been deprecated, please use CHOOSE:FEAT|PC[x] (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/monster_manual/mmanl_d20_fantasy_v35e_feat.lst)
            LSTWARN CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED has been deprecated, please use CHOOSE:SKILL| (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/monster_manual/mmanl_d20_fantasy_v35e_feat.lst)
[...]
            LSTWARN LANGAUTO has been deprecated, please use AUTO:LANG (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/monster_manual/mmanl_d20_fantasy_v35e_feat.lst)

            file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/monster_manual/mmanl_d20_fantasy_v35e_race_new.lst
            LSTWARN LANGAUTO has been deprecated, please use AUTO:LANG (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/monster_manual/mmanl_d20_fantasy_v35e_race_new.lst)
[...]
            LSTWARN LANGAUT<br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)
          • rogerwllco
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 16, 2013
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "rogerwllco" <g.a.renting@...> wrote:

              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey <jdempsey@> wrote:
              > > Each individual case of those needs to be reported and chased down. That
              > > one I can see is a bad roll string in a DAMAGE token value. I'm adding
              > > some more validation to that case now.
              > >
              > > Cheers,
              > > James.

              > Below is a full report of what a run of the converter produces on my data in the log. There are two tracebacks like that in there and some other stuff like an empty SEVERE. Below it is a full list of the popups I get. The converter also puts a lot of stuff into the console that doesn't end up in the log, do you want that as well?:

              Apparently the logs I have are too big. I've tried reducing them by grep'ing all AUTOLANG related stuff out, but the result is still rather large. Would it be ok if I posted it in the "Help Needed with" Folder in the Files section?

              Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco
            • rogerwllco
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 17, 2013

                > > I also want to add that I was wrong on some of the things I mentioned. I assumed that if I got a deprecated warning, I still needed to go into the LST file and make changes myself, like in most cases for the 5.16 converter. But apparently it gives a warning and then changes things to the new syntax anyway in the 6.00 converter.
                > > My only excuse for not noticing this is that I was working on this rather late, well past midnight as having converted to 5.16, I wanted to give 6.00 a go.
                >
                > I'll add a note about that to the conversion screen - it is useful to
                > know that the behaviour is not obvious. generally unless the deprecation
                > message says it has to be done manually, the converter will deal with
                > the transition to the new syntax. We may not always have that ready
                > until the prod release though (e.g. the TEMPBONUS change in the trunk
                > currently).

                It's very confusing right now.

                For example these get changed automatically:
                LSTWARN CHOOSE:SPELLLEVEL with first argument integer is deprecated
                LSTWARN LANGAUTO has been deprecated, please use AUTO:LANG

                But this one isn't:
                LSTWARN CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED has been deprecated, please use CHOOSE:SKILL|

                It means that for each of these lines in the log, I still need to go into the LST file and check. I can't discern between the two from the line in the log.

                Cheers,

                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 17, 2013

                  On 17/02/2013 9:39 PM rogerwllco wrote

                  >>> I also want to add that I was wrong on some of the things I mentioned. I assumed that if I got a deprecated warning, I still needed to go into the LST file and make changes myself, like in most cases for the 5.16 converter. But apparently it gives a warning and then changes things to the new syntax anyway in the 6.00 converter.
                  >>> My only excuse for not noticing this is that I was working on this rather late, well past midnight as having converted to 5.16, I wanted to give 6.00 a go.
                  >> I'll add a note about that to the conversion screen - it is useful to
                  >> know that the behaviour is not obvious. generally unless the deprecation
                  >> message says it has to be done manually, the converter will deal with
                  >> the transition to the new syntax. We may not always have that ready
                  >> until the prod release though (e.g. the TEMPBONUS change in the trunk
                  >> currently).
                  >>

                  > It's very confusing right now.
                  >
                  > For example these get changed automatically:
                  > LSTWARN CHOOSE:SPELLLEVEL with first argument integer is deprecated
                  > LSTWARN LANGAUTO has been deprecated, please use AUTO:LANG
                  >
                  > But this one isn't:
                  > LSTWARN CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED has been deprecated, please use CHOOSE:SKILL|
                  >
                  > It means that for each of these lines in the log, I still need to go into the LST file and check. I can't discern between the two from the line in the log.

                  That one is working for me fine with the current 6.0 code. Here's an
                  extract from the new change log:

                  Processing
                  D:\Projects\pcgen_5.16.x\data\alpha\paizo\pathfinder_rpg\character_traits\pfctwe_abilities.lst
                  Line 21 converted 'CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILLSNAMED|Knowledge
                  (Nobility)|Knowledge (Religion)' to 'CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILL|Knowledge
                  (Nobility)|Knowledge (Religion)'.
                  Line 22 converted 'CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILLSNAMED|Knowledge
                  (Geography)|Knowledge (Nature)' to 'CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILL|Knowledge
                  (Geography)|Knowledge (Nature)'.

                  I've now ported all my LST converter changes back to the 6.0 branch. You
                  can give them a go if you like using the autobuild, which has just
                  finished building. See http://www.pcgen-test.org/autobuilds2/download.html

                  Cheers,
                  James.
                • rogerwllco
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 17, 2013
                    I've found a new source of confusion, although just a minor one:

                    file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/players_handbook/phb_d20_fantasy_v35e_race_new.lst
                    LSTWARN LANGAUTO has been deprecated, please use AUTO:LANG (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/players_handbook/phb_d20_fantasy_v35e_race_new.lst)
[...]

                    file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/players_handbook/phb_d20_fantasy_v35e_domain.lst
                    LSTWARN LANGAUTO has been deprecated, please use AUTO:LANG (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/players_handbook/phb_d20_fantasy_v35e_race_new.lst)
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:WEAPONPROF is deprecated, please use CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/campaign_setting/players_handbook/phb_d20_fantasy_v35e_domain.lst)

                    The last LANGAUTO warning is still part of the block phb_d20_fantasy_v35e_race_new.lst, not the phb_d20_fantasy_v35e_domain.lst block but this is how it gets printed into the log.

                    > >> I'll add a note about that to the conversion screen - it is useful to
                    > >> know that the behaviour is not obvious. generally unless the deprecation
                    > >> message says it has to be done manually, the converter will deal with
                    > >> the transition to the new syntax. We may not always have that ready
                    > >> until the prod release though (e.g. the TEMPBONUS change in the trunk
                    > >> currently).
                    > >>

                    > > It's very confusing right now.
                    > >
                    > > For example these get changed automatically:
                    > > LSTWARN CHOOSE:SPELLLEVEL with first argument integer is deprecated
                    > > LSTWARN LANGAUTO has been deprecated, please use AUTO:LANG
                    > >
                    > > But this one isn't:
                    > > LSTWARN CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED has been deprecated, please use CHOOSE:SKILL|
                    > >
                    > > It means that for each of these lines in the log, I still need to go into the LST file and check. I can't discern between the two from the line in the log.
                    >
                    > That one is working for me fine with the current 6.0 code.

                    The one I encountered was coded incorrectly. As it was for Loremaster, I copied the code from the rsrd dataset for this ability to fix it, I'm not sure what it read before. I've now seen that it does convert in other cases.

                    > Here's an
                    > extract from the new change log:
                    >
                    > Processing
                    > D:\Projects\pcgen_5.16.x\data\alpha\paizo\pathfinder_rpg\character_traits\pfctwe_abilities.lst
                    > Line 21 converted 'CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILLSNAMED|Knowledge
                    > (Nobility)|Knowledge (Religion)' to 'CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILL|Knowledge
                    > (Nobility)|Knowledge (Religion)'.
                    > Line 22 converted 'CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILLSNAMED|Knowledge
                    > (Geography)|Knowledge (Nature)' to 'CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILL|Knowledge
                    > (Geography)|Knowledge (Nature)'.
                    >
                    > I've now ported all my LST converter changes back to the 6.0 branch. You
                    > can give them a go if you like using the autobuild, which has just
                    > finished building. See http://www.pcgen-test.org/autobuilds2/download.html

                    I can't find the batch-converter.jar in the zips on that page, I tried "program", "full" and "libraries".

                    > Cheers,
                    > James.

                  • James Dempsey
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 17, 2013
                      Hi Adriaan,

                      Yes that can happen. The logging is asynchronous and while it does the best it can it is possible for a message for a line at the end of one file to come through after processing of the next file has started.

                      Cheers,
                      James

                      On 17/02/2013, at 11:45 PM, "rogerwllco" <g.a.renting@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      >
                      >> Here's an
                      >> extract from the new change log:
                      >>
                      >> Processing
                      >> D:\Projects\pcgen_5.16.x\data\alpha\paizo\pathfinder_rpg\character_traits\pfctwe_abilities.lst
                      >> Line 21 converted 'CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILLSNAMED|Knowledge
                      >> (Nobility)|Knowledge (Religion)' to 'CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILL|Knowledge
                      >> (Nobility)|Knowledge (Religion)'.
                      >> Line 22 converted 'CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILLSNAMED|Knowledge
                      >> (Geography)|Knowledge (Nature)' to 'CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILL|Knowledge
                      >> (Geography)|Knowledge (Nature)'.
                      >>
                      >> I've now ported all my LST converter changes back to the 6.0 branch. You
                      >> can give them a go if you like using the autobuild, which has just
                      >> finished building. See http://www.pcgen-test.org/autobuilds2/download.html
                      >
                      > I can't find the batch-converter.jar in the zips on that page, I tried "program", "full" and "libraries".

                    • rogerwllco
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 17, 2013

                        > >> I've now ported all my LST converter changes back to the 6.0 branch. You
                        > >> can give them a go if you like using the autobuild, which has just
                        > >> finished building. See http://www.pcgen-test.org/autobuilds2/download.html
                        > >
                        > > I can't find the batch-converter.jar in the zips on that page, I tried "program", "full" and "libraries".
                        > >
                        > >> Cheers,
                        > >> James.

                        I would really like to try out the new version, while I'm in the middle of the conversion process, but I can't find batch-convert in pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full, there only seem to be converterplugins, whatever they are.

                        2> find ./pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full/ -iname '*convert*'
                        ./pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full//plugins/converterplugins
                        ./pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full//plugins/converterplugins/ConverterPlugin-ABB.jar
                        ./pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full//plugins/converterplugins/ConverterPlugin-BONUS.jar
                        ./pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full//plugins/converterplugins/ConverterPlugin-CATEGORY.jar
                        ./pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full//plugins/converterplugins/ConverterPlugin-CHOOSE.jar
                        ./pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full//plugins/converterplugins/ConverterPlugin-FAVCLASS.jar
                        ./pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full//plugins/converterplugins/ConverterPlugin-HASSUBCLASS.jar
                        ./pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full//plugins/converterplugins/ConverterPlugin-HASSUBSTITUTIONLEVEL.jar
                        ./pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full//plugins/converterplugins/ConverterPlugin-KEY.jar
                        ./pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full//plugins/converterplugins/ConverterPlugin-PRECHECK.jar
                        ./pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full//plugins/converterplugins/ConverterPlugin-PRECHECKBASE.jar
                        ./pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full//plugins/converterplugins/ConverterPlugin-PRECLASS.jar
                        ./pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full//plugins/converterplugins/ConverterPlugin-PRECLASSLEVELMAX.jar
                        ./pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full//plugins/converterplugins/ConverterPlugin-PREDR.jar
                        ./pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full//plugins/converterplugins/ConverterPlugin-PREMOVE.jar
                        ./pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full//plugins/converterplugins/ConverterPlugin-PRESKILL.jar
                        ./pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full//plugins/converterplugins/ConverterPlugin-PRESKILLMULT.jar
                        ./pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full//plugins/converterplugins/ConverterPlugin-PREVISION.jar
                        ./pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full//plugins/converterplugins/ConverterPlugin-SOURCEDATE.jar
                      • James Dempsey
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 20, 2013
                          Hi Adriaan,

                          On 18/02/2013 8:18 AM rogerwllco wrote

                          >>> I can't find the batch-converter.jar in the zips on that page, I tried "program", "full" and "libraries".

                          I'll investigate how to include that, but the actual jar file is just
                          for convenience, all the code files are pulled in from pcgen.jar. So,
                          you could either run it from the command line as

                          java -Xmx512m -classpath pcgen.jar pcgen.gui.converter.PCGenDataConvert

                          or you could copy the batch-convert.jar from your 6.0 install into the
                          autobuild folder.

                          Cheers,
                          James.
                        • rogerwllco
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                            Copying the batch-converter.jar and the .command file I made did the trick.

                            Cheers,

                            Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco

                            > Hi Adriaan,

                            > I'll investigate how to include that, but the actual jar file is just
                            > for convenience, all the code files are pulled in from pcgen.jar. So,
                            > you could either run it from the command line as
                            >
                            > java -Xmx512m -classpath pcgen.jar pcgen.gui.converter.PCGenDataConvert
                            >
                            > or you could copy the batch-convert.jar from your 6.0 install into the
                            > autobuild folder.
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            > James.

                          • rogerwllco
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                              Some very nice improvements, thanks.

                              I would still like to see file name and line numbers for the reported warnings and errors.

                              Filenames would especially be useful for the popups. I've just been hunting the Innate Spell feat in 5 sources to find which one it was complaining about (good thing I have grep).

                              By the way, I pity the old CMP data monkeys. Apparently WotC hadn't learned of the existence of copy-paste yet in 2004, all versions are worded differently and have slightly different mechanics and prerequisites. And it's not CMP's fault, it's in the books themselves, not even corrected in the errata...
                            • Rob Allen
                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                              • Eric C Smith
                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                                  Hi Rob,

                                  It looks like the text from you post didn't make it through. Can you repost?

                                  Thanks!

                                  Maredudd

                                • James Dempsey
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                                    Hi Adriaan,

                                    On 7/03/2013 5:31 AM rogerwllco wrote
                                    > Some very nice improvements, thanks.
                                    Excellent, thanks for checking it out and for the good suggestions.

                                    > I would still like to see file name and line numbers for the reported warnings and errors.

                                    Unfortunately that is quite a difficult task and one that won't be
                                    possible in the short term.

                                    > Filenames would especially be useful for the popups. I've just been hunting the Innate Spell feat in 5 sources to find which one it was complaining about (good thing I have grep).

                                    I can have a look into that one.

                                    > By the way, I pity the old CMP data monkeys. Apparently WotC hadn't learned of the existence of copy-paste yet in 2004, all versions are worded differently and have slightly different mechanics and prerequisites. And it's not CMP's fault, it's in the books themselves, not even corrected in the errata...

                                    Yeah the rules can be quite painful like that.

                                    Cheers,
                                    James.
                                  • Rob Allen
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                                      > Hi Rob,
                                      >
                                      > It looks like the text from you post didn't make it through. > Can you repost?
                                      >
                                      > Thanks!
                                      >
                                      > Maredudd

                                      Sorry. My mail client defaults to HTML text and I guess the listserv doesn't like that.

                                      Here's the original e-mail:
                                      --------------------------
                                      Sorry if this is already a JIRA or otherwise known issue. I was noticing it late last night and didn't have the energy to look it up, and now I'm at work and can't. Specifically I was doing a PF cleric (lv3) build that had lots of scrolls. First, the Scroll Case (from the PF Adv. Player's Guide) isn't a container, so though I had one I couldn't put the scrolls in it. No biggie.

                                      Then I added all the scrolls to my default equipment set. Oh! (I noticed) Those ones aren't scrolls I wanted! So I unequipped them...except one stayed behind in my inventory. But wait, I had two. Now there are two unequipped and one in my inventory as well! So I tried to unequip the malingerer and it wouldn't go away. I added the two, and now I had Qty 3. I unequipped them, and now I had 3 unequipped on one still in my inventory. So I unequipped all my scrolls and ended up with them all unequipped (plus the couple of extras that had spontaneously reproduced) - with Qty 1 of each scroll type left in my inventory.

                                      Seems like there's a count decrement off somewhere.

                                      Not a huge deal, but something you might want to look into. :)

                                      Rob
                                    • Eric C Smith
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                                        Hi Rob,

                                        You say your running 6.00.00, and it looks like your running at least the PFCR and APG. What other sets do you have loaded?

                                        Also, what OS are you running?

                                        Maredudd

                                        On Mar 6, 2013, at 6:47 PM, Rob Allen wrote:

                                        > > Hi Rob,
                                        > >
                                        > > It looks like the text from you post didn't make it through. > Can you repost?
                                        > >
                                        > > Thanks!
                                        > >
                                        > > Maredudd
                                        >
                                        > Sorry. My mail client defaults to HTML text and I guess the listserv doesn't like that.
                                        >
                                        > Here's the original e-mail:
                                        > --------------------------
                                        > Sorry if this is already a JIRA or otherwise known issue. I was noticing it late last night and didn't have the energy to look it up, and now I'm at work and can't. Specifically I was doing a PF cleric (lv3) build that had lots of scrolls. First, the Scroll Case (from the PF Adv. Player's Guide) isn't a container, so though I had one I couldn't put the scrolls in it. No biggie.
                                        >
                                        > Then I added all the scrolls to my default equipment set. Oh! (I noticed) Those ones aren't scrolls I wanted! So I unequipped them...except one stayed behind in my inventory. But wait, I had two. Now there are two unequipped and one in my inventory as well! So I tried to unequip the malingerer and it wouldn't go away. I added the two, and now I had Qty 3. I unequipped them, and now I had 3 unequipped on one still in my inventory. So I unequipped all my scrolls and ended up with them all unequipped (plus the couple of extras that had spontaneously reproduced) - with Qty 1 of each scroll type left in my inventory.
                                        >
                                        > Seems like there's a count decrement off somewhere.
                                        >
                                        > Not a huge deal, but something you might want to look into. :)
                                        >
                                        > Rob

                                      • Rob Allen
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                                          The OS is Win 7 Pro x64. I'll have to look up the exact sources later, but it's at least: PFCR, PFAPG, Rise of the Runelords PG, the PF Bestiary, and maybe one more (can't recall).

                                          Rob

                                          > Hi Rob,
                                          >
                                          > You say your running 6.00.00, and it looks like your running at least the PFCR and APG. What other sets do you have loaded?
                                          >
                                          > Also, what OS are you running?
                                          >
                                          > Maredudd

                                          On Mar 6, 2013, at 6:47 PM, Rob Allen wrote:

                                          <snip>

                                          > Sorry if this is already a JIRA or otherwise known issue. I was noticing it late last night and didn't have the energy to look it up, and now I'm at work and can't. Specifically I was doing a PF cleric (lv3) build that had lots of scrolls. First, the Scroll Case (from the PF Adv. Player's Guide) isn't a container, so though I had one I couldn't put the scrolls in it. No biggie.
                                          >
                                          > Then I added all the scrolls to my default equipment set. Oh! (I noticed) Those ones aren't scrolls I wanted! So I unequipped them...except one stayed behind in my inventory. But wait, I had two. Now there are two unequipped and one in my inventory as well! So I tried to unequip the malingerer and it wouldn't go away. I added the two, and now I had Qty 3. I unequipped them, and now I had 3 unequipped on one still in my inventory. So I unequipped all my scrolls and ended up with them all unequipped (plus the couple of extras that had spontaneously reproduced) - with Qty 1 of each scroll type left in my inventory.
                                          >
                                          > Seems like there's a count decrement off somewhere.
                                          >
                                          > Not a huge deal, but something you might want to look into. :)
                                          >
                                          > Rob
                                        • rogerwllco
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Mar 7, 2013
                                            One thing that I find odd, is that I have one source that has two feats with CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Specialization but I only get a popup for the first one, with text starting with:
                                            "Need help with underlying type for CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Specialization

                                            I don't get a popup for the second feat with exactly the same syntax.
                                            (Both the old 6.0 converter and the new one you from 6.00.01RC1)

                                            If I look at the output, it seems to have changed both occurrences. Is this on purpose? In that case my congratulations with making the converter smart enough not to ask the same question twice.

                                            Cheers,

                                            Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco

                                            > Hi Adriaan,

                                            > I'll investigate how to include that, but the actual jar file is just
                                            > for convenience, all the code files are pulled in from pcgen.jar. So,
                                            > you could either run it from the command line as
                                            >
                                            > java -Xmx512m -classpath pcgen.jar pcgen.gui.converter.PCGenDataConvert
                                            >
                                            > or you could copy the batch-convert.jar from your 6.0 install into the
                                            > autobuild folder.
                                            >
                                            > Cheers,
                                            > James.

                                          • rogerwllco
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Mar 7, 2013
                                              Also, you didn't really answer my question if you wanted my complete log output. You did state you were interested in the exceptions I encountered. These two pop up in the latest version of the converter:

                                              SEVERE Bad roll string in '1d12+STR': java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "STR"
                                              java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "STR"
                                              at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:48)
                                              at pcgen.core.RollInfo.parseRollInfo(RollInfo.java:225)
                                              at pcgen.core.RollInfo.validateRollString(RollInfo.java:88)
                                              at plugin.lsttokens.equipment.DamageToken.parseNonEmptyToken(DamageToken.java:49)
                                              at plugin.lsttokens.equipment.DamageToken.parseNonEmptyToken(DamageToken.java:34)
                                              at pcgen.rules.persistence.token.AbstractNonEmptyToken.parseToken(AbstractNonEmptyToken.java:36)
                                              at pcgen.rules.persistence.TokenSupport.processToken(TokenSupport.java:62)
                                              at pcgen.rules.context.LoadContext.processToken(LoadContext.java:257)
                                              at pcgen.gui.converter.DefaultTokenProcessor.process(DefaultTokenProcessor.java:38)
                                              at pcgen.gui.converter.TokenConverter.process(TokenConverter.java:108)
                                              at pcgen.gui.converter.loader.EquipmentLoader.processToken(EquipmentLoader.java:126)
                                              at pcgen.gui.converter.loader.EquipmentLoader.process(EquipmentLoader.java:82)
                                              at pcgen.gui.converter.LSTConverter.load(LSTConverter.java:325)
                                              at pcgen.gui.converter.LSTConverter.startItem(LSTConverter.java:195)
                                              at pcgen.gui.converter.LSTConverter.processCampaign(LSTConverter.java:131)
                                              at pcgen.gui.converter.panel.RunConvertPanel$1.run(RunConvertPanel.java:198)
                                              at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

                                              SEVERE Bad roll string in 'Spell': java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "Spell"
                                              java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "Spell"
                                              at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:48)
                                              at pcgen.core.RollInfo.parseRollInfo(RollInfo.java:112)
                                              at pcgen.core.RollInfo.validateRollString(RollInfo.java:88)
                                              at plugin.lsttokens.equipment.DamageToken.parseNonEmptyToken(DamageToken.java:49)
                                              at plugin.lsttokens.equipment.DamageToken.parseNonEmptyToken(DamageToken.java:34)
                                              at pcgen.rules.persistence.token.AbstractNonEmptyToken.parseToken(AbstractNonEmptyToken.java:36)
                                              at pcgen.rules.persistence.TokenSupport.processToken(TokenSupport.java:62)
                                              at pcgen.rules.context.LoadContext.processToken(LoadContext.java:257)
                                              at pcgen.gui.converter.DefaultTokenProcessor.process(DefaultTokenProcessor.java:38)
                                              at pcgen.gui.converter.TokenConverter.process(TokenConverter.java:108)
                                              at pcgen.gui.converter.loader.EquipmentLoader.processToken(EquipmentLoader.java:126)
                                              at pcgen.gui.converter.loader.EquipmentLoader.process(EquipmentLoader.java:82)
                                              at pcgen.gui.converter.LSTConverter.load(LSTConverter.java:325)
                                              at pcgen.gui.converter.LSTConverter.startItem(LSTConverter.java:195)
                                              at pcgen.gui.converter.LSTConverter.processCampaign(LSTConverter.java:131)
                                              at pcgen.gui.converter.panel.RunConvertPanel$1.run(RunConvertPanel.java:198)
                                              at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

                                              > Hi Adriaan,

                                              > I'll investigate how to include that, but the actual jar file is just
                                              > for convenience, all the code files are pulled in from pcgen.jar. So,
                                              > you could either run it from the command line as
                                              >
                                              > java -Xmx512m -classpath pcgen.jar pcgen.gui.converter.PCGenDataConvert
                                              >
                                              > or you could copy the batch-convert.jar from your 6.0 install into the
                                              > autobuild folder.
                                              >
                                              > Cheers,
                                              > James.

                                            • rogerwllco
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Mar 7, 2013
                                                Sorry, there is a bit more info in the log related to these that wasn't part of the exception itself:

                                                file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/supplement/psionics_handbook/psihbk_d20_fantasy_v35e_equipmod.lst
                                                LSTERROR DAMAGE is invalid: Bad roll string in '1d12+STR': java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "STR" (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/supplement/psionics_handbook/psihbk_d20_fantasy_v35e_equip_weap_melee.lst)
                                                LSTERROR Illegal Token 'DAMAGE' '1d12+STR' for pcgen.core.Equipment 5Test23 DAMAGE:1d12+STR in file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/supplement/psionics_handbook/psihbk_d20_fantasy_v35e_equip_weap_melee.lst
                                                SEVERE Unable to unparse: DAMAGE:1d12+STR

                                                I think the DAMAGE for this item should just read 1d12. The +STR should be applied by PCGen itself because it counts like a onehanded melee weapon.

                                                file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/forgotten_realms/supplement/lords_of_darkness/lrddrk_d20_fantasy_v35e_equipmod.lst
                                                LSTERROR DAMAGE is invalid: Bad roll string in 'Spell': java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "Spell" (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/forgotten_realms/supplement/lords_of_darkness/lrddrk_d20_fantasy_v35e_equip_weap_ranged.lst)
                                                LSTERROR Illegal Token 'DAMAGE' 'Spell' for pcgen.core.Equipment 4Test14 DAMAGE:Spell in file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/forgotten_realms/supplement/lords_of_darkness/lrddrk_d20_fantasy_v35e_equip_weap_ranged.lst

                                                This one is more interesting, as it's a thrown rock with a spell stored in it, which gets released on a successful ranged touch attack. I've completely removed the DAMAGE tag for now, as I don't think this is valid syntax.

                                                Cheers,

                                              • rogerwllco
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Mar 8, 2013
                                                  I have now finished the conversion of my datasets to 6.00.0. At least the converter doesn't give any errors any more.

                                                  I will still need to test the results to see if things indeed work, but the improvements in the converter have helped me a lot. It has easily saved me a few hours of clicking through things.

                                                  also the tips on how to run the converter with more memory were essential.

                                                  Limitations like the refusal to overwrite an earlier conversion attempt have gone from being a some painful minutes to select everything again to just a small annoyance of a few seconds of clicking Next.

                                                  It made a big difference.

                                                  Thank you.