Re: Upgrading datasets is a major pain

  • rogerwllco
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2013
      From a discussion I was having with Andrew in the LST forum, I want to add something to this:

      > If you ask nicely, I'll even implement it in our core files. ;)

      I'm not using the core files. I only ever load them if I need to verify that a problem I'm having also manifests itself in the standard install.

      What I'm saying, is that doing a lot of work in the OGL files doesn't really help me. Making it easier to code it in the CMP and homebrew is what makes a difference for me.

      The rest of my group have all stopped using PCGen because the CMP files just don't work with the newer versions and coding stuff into the LST files is beyond their capabilities. They're all using spreadsheets. Most of us used PCGen back when CMP was still allowed to sell the datasets.

      It's not directly related to the problem we're discussing here, but WotC has been successful in basically killing the ability for PCGen to support most of DnD 3.5 when they ended the contract with CMP.

      I would like to ask how the PCGen project sees itself.
      - As mainly supporting the OGL and other licenced datasets that come with the program, like Pathfinder.
      - As also supporting homebrew (and non-OGL data).

      For maintaining the datasets that come with the program, only Andrew and his troupe feel the pain but the effort can be shared, there is a close tie to the development and potentially a large audience that might use the results.

      For someone on their own maintaining a large homebrew or non-OGL dataset and only following the stable releases, this is much less so. If you want to support people like that, including me, making it easier to update/convert and to edit/create datasets would really help.

      Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco