Possible Animal Tricks Bug using Pathfinder RPG source

  • mmullins700
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2013
      Hi, new user and new Pathfinder GM. Very very grateful for the tool.

      I was trying to create a druid for a friend and ran into some unusual behavior. He took an animal companion as a L1 Druid (badger-wolverine) and switched to the companion's character tab. Everything looked correct according to my still limited Core book knowledge. I assigned 7 animal tricks due to the bonus (1) and trainable skills at INT 2 (6). However after saving and shutting down PCGen, I reloaded the program and the badger character and the program insists that I have too many tricks assigned and should have 0 (ie - I have a deficit of -7). The earlier behavior looks correct according to the book and the change leads me to suspect a bug.

      Thanks,
      Mike
    • Doug Limmer
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2013
        I'm not completely sure, but I think that if you load the companion but
        not the character it's a companion for, it won't get all the appropriate
        abilities.

        Try loading the druid, then the badger, and see if it's better.

        DS/DL

        On 2/4/2013 8:18 PM, mmullins700 wrote:

        > Hi, new user and new Pathfinder GM. Very very grateful for the tool.
        >
        > I was trying to create a druid for a friend and ran into some unusual
        > behavior. He took an animal companion as a L1 Druid (badger-wolverine)
        > and switched to the companion's character tab. Everything looked
        > correct according to my still limited Core book knowledge. I assigned
        > 7 animal tricks due to the bonus (1) and trainable skills at INT 2
        > (6). However after saving and shutting down PCGen, I reloaded the
        > program and the badger character and the program insists that I have
        > too many tricks assigned and should have 0 (ie - I have a deficit of
        > -7). The earlier behavior looks correct according to the book and the
        > change leads me to suspect a bug.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Mike

      • mmullins700
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2013
          Ah. That was it then. I'd assumed you could treat the companion as a character after that. Thanks very much.

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer wrote:

          > I'm not completely sure, but I think that if you load the companion but
          > not the character it's a companion for, it won't get all the appropriate
          > abilities.
          >
          > Try loading the druid, then the badger, and see if it's better.
          >
          > DS/DL
        • FerretDave
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2013
            Greetings,
            I know the 'master' has a token indicating a link to the follower, does the follower not have a similar link back ?

            Could do with PCGEn at least giving a warning when loading a companion/familiar without having the master loaded if it affects it like this...

            Cheers
            Dave

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6, 2013

              The fact of the matter, both Master and Companion must be loaded to have all benefits applied. If
              the creature is loaded without, then the benefits are not conferred.