Re: [pcgen] Bug Report - v6.0 - Templates with Natural Attacks
I believe this is a known issue with Templates and NaturalAttacks acting up, please do open a JIRA
Also, if it's not closed source, we've been doing some polymorph work, and instead of duplicating
effort, it sounds like it's a good system you got in place, if you want to share the work, I'd be
happy to look at implementing it.
On a related note, I have set up something that although isn't AS nice as NATURALATTACKS tag, it
This is meant to handle changing the number of attacks, or adding/removing attacks, and it can even
handle changing the damage dynamically.
However, it's shortcomings - it won't work properly with any Weapon Proficiency related tags without
I've got two examples in the RSRD set up for it if you want to take a look.
BONUS:VAR|BiteAttackBonus|1|PREFEAT:1,Weapon Focus (Bite)
BONUS:VAR|BiteThreatRange|-1|PREFEAT:1,Improved Critical (Bite)
BONUS:VAR|ClawAttackBonus|1|PREFEAT:1,Weapon Focus (Claw)
BONUS:VAR|ClawThreatRange|-1|PREFEAT:1,Improved Critical (Claw)
So, some explanations:
AUTO:WEAPONPROF|NameOfAttack is meant so you can actually select the natural attack via anything
looking through a choose weapon proficiency. You'll see I include the commonly used Weapon Focus to
add the +1.
Everything else is set up to be fairly self-explanatory. It's not a perfect fit, but it does the
job. You could easily set it up to be more automatic with setting the Attack Bonus to the 'BAB'.
However, I set up each race with the final values:
This is a dog:
It was meant as a work around for certain animal companions (Mainly the dog, riding dog and wolf)
not getting a second attack.
Hope that helps.
On 2/3/2013 8:42 AM, George wrote:
> I have set up all of my reaces with PREVAREQ:Polymorph,0 on many of the abilities. These are abilities that disappear if the creature is polymorphed into something else.
> I have then set up polymorph templates for anything I might want to polymorph the creature into, with different versions of the template for different polymorphing spells, different levels of the wild shape ability, and different versions of the change shape ability. Each of these polymorph templates has a BONUS:VAR|Polymorph|1 tag in it.
> All of a creature's natural attacks are set up with a specific ability which defines the number of times the attack can be used and the amount of damage the attack does. The tag in the race will look something like this:
> ABILITY:Internal|AUTOMATIC|Natural Attack ~ Bite ~ 1 ~ 2d6 ~ Single|PREMULT:2,[PREVAREQ:Polymorphed,0],[PREVAREQ:NaturalAttackBite,0]
> The PREVAREQ:NaturalAttackBite,0 is so that I can apply a special template which changes the creature's bite attack, if necessary (e.g. if the ability to grow fangs is provided by an item, class, feat, etc.).
> The polymorphing template will then have a series of abilities similar to the following to ensure that the natural attacks provided by the template do the correct amount of damage:
> ABILITY:Internal|AUTOMATIC|Natural Attack ~ Bite ~ 1 ~ 1 ~ Single|PREMULT:2,[PREVAREQ:NaturalAttackBite,0],[PREBASESIZEEQ:F]
> Each natural attack ability in the template will specify a different BASESIZE in the prerequisite to ensure that the natural attack granted by the polymorph template does the correct amount of damage.
> This works perfectly up to PCGen version 5.17.10. Beyond that it works in most cases. I think that in cases where an attack in the template replaces another attack of the same type in the base creature, the new attack is not appearing (i.e. if the base creature has bite and tail slap, and the template has bite and claw, only the claw attack will appear when the template is applied). I have used the debugging output sheet and verified that the new ability for the natural attack has been applied to the creature, it's just that the NATURALATTACKS tag itself is being ignored.
> This is functionality that I use all of the time, and it is a pain that I have to take my v6.0 data sets and load them into v5.17.10 when I need to add these templates to certain monsters. There are other modifications that I have to make the datasets when I move them to v.5.17.10 as well (e.g. AUTO:LANG|.CLEAR does not work in 5.17.10).
> Sir George Anonymous
> Related Lists
> PCGen's release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net
> PCGen's Mailing Lists and Links: http://wiki.pcgen.org/Mailing_Lists_and_PCGen_Links
> PCGen's alpha build: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php
> PCGen's JIRA Tracker: http://jira.pcgen.org
> PCGen List File Help: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGenListFileHelp/
> (for assistance in creating new homebrew or official list files)
> PCGen Experimental: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen_experimental/
> (for new official data source development)
> Yahoo! Groups Links
Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
Admin Silverback - PCGen Board of Directors
Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
Unique Title "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]