Board of Directors Log for Feb 1st, 2013

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2013

      http://wiki.pcgen.org/Meeting_2013_02_01

    • otiendikil
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 7, 2013

        Regarding fundraising and the donations from the new site ( http://pcgen.org/wordpress/donate/ ), one idea might be to have some sort of donor recognition. Perhaps just a donor list, maybe also with the "Gold Level", "Silver Level", etc., themes for the big sponsors that fundraisers often use. (The Great Apes, anyone?)

        On a related note, the "Display Sponsors" feature on my 6.00 and 6.01 installations currently just says "Missing Sponsors" "There are no sponsors".

        Additionally, there are some old messages on the boards regarding seeking non-profit/501(c)3 status for PCGen. Did that ever progress? I don't see mention of it on the website or donation page. It would help with deductions for donations and for discounted PayPal fees, though I don't know how hard the status is to apply for and maintain.

        Another idea might be to be part of the affiliate programs many booksellers have going, so that people could click through from the page to buy some of their books. (It would be even better, I think, if one could somehow link from the source page books to particular books for sale online.) A variety of sellers could be used to make it ecumenical. I would suggest Amazon, Abe Books (independent bookstores), and Powell's Books (a local favorite independent). Powell's, for example, offers a 7.5% commission and a 90-day commission cookie. When I am buying online, I would happily click-through a PCGen link and so make a small donation each time.

        Regards,

        Matt C

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > http://wiki.pcgen.org/Meeting_2013_02_01
        > --
        > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
        > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

      • Eric C Smith
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 7, 2013
          Hi Folks!

          otiendikil wrote:

          > Regarding fundraising and the donations from the new site ( http://pcgen.org/wordpress/donate/ ), one idea might be to have some sort of donor recognition. Perhaps just a donor list, maybe also with the "Gold Level", "Silver Level", etc., themes for the big sponsors that fundraisers often use. (The Great Apes, anyone?)
          >
          > On a related note, the "Display Sponsors" feature on my 6.00 and 6.01 installations currently just says "Missing Sponsors" "There are no sponsors".

          That is because we have no official sponsors . . . :-)

          > Additionally, there are some old messages on the boards regarding seeking non-profit/501(c)3 status for PCGen. Did that ever progress? I don't see mention of it on the website or donation page. It would help with deductions for donations and for discounted PayPal fees, though I don't know how hard the status is to apply for and maintain.

          PCgen is not currently a 501(c)3 organization and likely never will be, as it is a volunteer organization and to form a 501(c)3, or any other non-profit organization requires that you have someone willing to become the "Official" entity. I did that a bit back in 2008 when I signed up with the State of Indiana as a "Business" so that we could legally sell t-shirts at GenCon. We used it one year and then it took me 3 years, filing all of the appropriate paperwork each year, to convince them that we were no more and they could stop sending me a tax bill.

          > Another idea might be to be part of the affiliate programs many booksellers have going, so that people could click through from the page to buy some of their books. (It would be even better, I think, if one could somehow link from the source page books to particular books for sale online.) A variety of sellers could be used to make it ecumenical. I would suggest Amazon, Abe Books (independent bookstores), and Powell's Books (a local favorite independent). Powell's, for example, offers a 7.5% commission and a 90-day commission cookie. When I am buying online, I would happily click-through a PCGen link and so make a small donation each time.

          We currently have affiliate accounts with DriveThruRPG/RPGNow and Amazon. Or rather I think we have one with Amazon. I know we have one with DriveThruRPG/RPGNow. We have not made any significant amount of cash with either. We had what amounts to an affiliate account with another site that sold Fantasy Character Illustrations, but again, that didn't bring in a lot of cash.

          Not saying that we shouldn't pursue more . . . just providing a little history . . . :-)

          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > http://wiki.pcgen.org/Meeting_2013_02_01
          > > --
          > > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
          > > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur

        • Joe Medica
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 9, 2013
            Have you guys thought of a kKickstarter?

            Joe Medica

            Sent from my iPad

            On Feb 7, 2013, at 5:02 PM, "otiendikil" <Otiendikil@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Regarding fundraising and the donations from the new site ( http://pcgen.org/wordpress/donate/ ), one idea might be to have some sort of donor recognition. Perhaps just a donor list, maybe also with the "Gold Level", "Silver Level", etc., themes for the big sponsors that fundraisers often use. (The Great Apes, anyone?)
            >
            > On a related note, the "Display Sponsors" feature on my 6.00 and 6.01 installations currently just says "Missing Sponsors" "There are no sponsors".
            >
            > Additionally, there are some old messages on the boards regarding seeking non-profit/501(c)3 status for PCGen. Did that ever progress? I don't see mention of it on the website or donation page. It would help with deductions for donations and for discounted PayPal fees, though I don't know how hard the status is to apply for and maintain.
            >
            > Another idea might be to be part of the affiliate programs many booksellers have going, so that people could click through from the page to buy some of their books. (It would be even better, I think, if one could somehow link from the source page books to particular books for sale online.) A variety of sellers could be used to make it ecumenical. I would suggest Amazon, Abe Books (independent bookstores), and Powell's Books (a local favorite independent). Powell's, for example, offers a 7.5% commission and a 90-day commission cookie. When I am buying online, I would happily click-through a PCGen link and so make a small donation each time.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Matt C
            >
            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > http://wiki.pcgen.org/Meeting_2013_02_01
            > > --
            > > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
            > > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur

          • Lee Dowd
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013
              Maybe if the click through link was displayed in the emails just above or below the "Related Lists" it would get used more.  There are a number of sites I frequent that have the click throughs I just never seem to remember them when I want to order. ...
              Lee

              >________________________________

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 13, 2013
                I believe almost all of the "Buy this on RPGNow!" links in the program have our affiliate code for purchases.

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Lee Dowd wrote:

                > Maybe if the click through link was displayed in the emails just above or below the "Related Lists" it would get used more.  There are a number of sites I frequent that have the click throughs I just never seem to remember them when I want to order. ...
                > Lee

              • Paul
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 13, 2013
                  The BoD has kicked the thought around, if you'll pardon the pun. The main problem is a) I'm not sure if PCGen would qualify under their TOS (although if Lone Wolf was able to get their Realms Creator qualified we probably should be able to.) and b) what could we offer as promotions at the different levels?

                  We have a few PCGen t-shirts (and could get more made fairly easily) we could have a special section in the credits for User Sponsors. But what else? That's the part that has us stumped.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 13, 2013
                    I think some one volunteered me to do a personal book of your choice as a PCGen Set or something
                    along those lines.

                    Though that should be the HIGHEST level, as I really don't have a lot of time on my hands to be
                    making books willy nilly for others. ;)