Open JIRA - Spammers are annoying

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2013
      Hi folks,

      Barely 24 hours after I allow 'no reporters' for Support Requests, we've had 3 instances of Spammer
      issues. I'm going to say this is unacceptable and not worth the tracker churn for the few users who
      *might* want to file a report without logging into the system. Which to date has been Zero Issues.

      I'm turning off the access, as it's just not worth it. If we have some sorta of CAPTCHA for
      submitting only to one project, then I could accept that but at this time I just don't think it's
      worth having our JIRA system loaded up with pure nonsensical garbage that spam bots or users seem to
      think they need to flood our systems with.

    • Lee Dowd
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 27, 2013
        The amount of effort it takes to register for JIRA is pretty minimal and the benefits are significant.   I started using it at work for a project and it's amazing how much one can get out of it for just a little effort.  JIRA can be a real plus to both the technically savvy and those who aren't.  With the addition of spambot problems it seems almost a no brainer from here.

        Lee

      • Bryan McRoberts
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 28, 2013
          I've found that to be the case in the past - there are just too many bots out there looking for anything that can be posted to, which makes open access a pain to monitor. I think you're wise to turn it back off unless you can get someone to commit on a daily basis to perform cleanup duty.

          -Bryan
          Benevolent Dictator of PCGen

          p.s. 'Tortuer of PCGen'?  There's a story there, I'm sure... ;)