Re: [pcgen] Seeking feedback on new website layout

  • Anestis Kozakis
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
      I've made a few tweaks and changes tot he formatting of pages,a nd tweaked
      some of the wording a little more.

      Replies in-line.

      On 27 January 2013 03:26, Doug Limmer <adventure@...> wrote:

      > Overall, I like it. It looks pretty good. Some hopefully constructive
      > criticism below:
      >
      > 1. The first thing I noticed is that the picture on the top page looks
      > right-justified. Maybe that was your intent, but to me it looks like some
      > sort of mistake. Maybe you want to add some padding/margin on the
      > right-hand side?

      I'll pass that on tot he main designer.

      > 2. Typo: On the "About" page, at the end of the fourth entry in the list
      > under "Important Links", there seems to be an extra Sourceforge.

      Fixed.

      > 3. Donate to PCGen buttons: There seem to be three different versions of
      > this. There's a rounded green one (with tight padding) in the right-hand
      > column of most/all pages. There's a square red one (with more generous
      > padding) in the bar at the bottom of most/all pages. And then there's the
      > yellow one (PayPal style?) on the Donate page itself. I think just one
      > donate button on each page would be sufficient; I personally prefer the
      > more-padding one.

      I see what you're saying, and it can get confusing. The "Donate to PCgen"
      on most of the pages buttons just leads to the "Donate" page. The actual
      PayPal button is yellow, and we can't change that as that is the standard
      button PayPal uses. Personally, I like the green button. I'll see what we
      can do to pad the green one out.

      > 4. Colors. This is all mine own sense of style, so others may disagree.
      > I'm not too fond of the pale yellow / white / bright blue combination
      > that's on the pages. I can't think a specific idea of what might be
      > better, though. Maybe a darker blue? Also the donate buttons seem to be
      > very different in style from the rest of the page. That may be on purpose,
      > though.

      The theme is tied into the look of the actual PCGen program. The
      splashscreen of the program uses the Vitruvian man, often depicted on a
      parchment-yellow background. The blue is the standard default colour for
      weblinks.

      > Just my thoughts, for whatever they're worth.
      >
      > DS/DL

      Anestis (Website 2nd).

      --
      Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@...

    • FerretDave
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 27, 2013
        Greetings,

        Thanks :-)
        I like the link through on the publishers to the full list, good call.
        One thing that's then worth noting however, 4th Ed is not listed on there as a game mode, I think your footnote on it covers it (could have an extra 'due to WOTC's permission/gaming licence restrictions') but the list of publishers could do with a note that 4th ed exists as a gamemode, but then notes some more info indicating that permissions are not granted to distribute data files.

        (I dont want/use 4th ed, just dont want others being disappointed by the lack of initial support or overlooking the flexibility of pcgen to do it themselves).

        On the system requirements, how about rewording:
        PCGen 5.14.x and 5.16.x require JRE versions 1.5.x or 1.6.x. Versions 1.7.x or above are not supported at this time.

        PCGen 5.14.x and 5.16.x require JRE versions 1.5.x or 1.6.x. Java versions 1.7.x and above are only supported by PCGen 6.00 upwards.

        As 'not supported at this time' could be read as 'someone is going to modify the old versions to work someday...'

        Disk space dropped to 120 mb - nice one ;-)

        Thanks for all this, looking good.
        Cheers
        Dave