Re: Seeking feedback on new website layout

  • FerretDave
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 21, 2013
      Not the best start, first link I click fails!
      'see features' right above the download button:
      The requested URL /features was not found on this server.

      Found the features page later on though, and it mentions support for 4E, do we really want to state this up front when it's not directly supported?

      "Tons of publishers" Quality Control insists we put a number (50+!?) and PR probably wants us to refrain from commenting on our good friends weight... :-)

      "add or remove races, classes, feats" I know the list is endless, but 'spells' is a popular one.

      On the system requirements, you mention the java requirements for 5.16 before you mention them for 5.17+ - as most new users hitting this site will be aiming to get the latest version, I'd swap the order of that (most users scan it and see j1.7 not supported...)

      "If you wish to view PDF output sheets, you'll need a PDF viewer."
      Do we really need to state the obvious ?

      200mb ? My full install of 6.0 only takes up 114MB on disk...

      Overall, I like it ;-)

      Cheers
      Dave
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Anestis Kozakis wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > For a whole now the PCGen webteam has been developing a new website layout.
      > We are almost ready for release but would like some feedback form you, the
      > userbase, before we do an official release.
      >
      > At this stage, the new layout can be found at
      > http://pcgen.org/wordpress(this will change to
      > http://pcgen.org on official release).
      >
      > Please reply to this e-mail to leave your comments.
      >
      > Thank you.
      >
      > Anestis (WebTeam 2nd).
      >
      > --
      > Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@...

    • Anestis Kozakis
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 21, 2013
        Hi Dave,

        The Features link works for me. You may have hit a temporary network
        hiccup.

        I've taken note of your other suggestions.

        Thanks.

        Anestis (Website 2nd).

        --
        Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@...

      • FerretDave
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 23, 2013
          Greetings,
          Link works fine now, as you say, must have been a glitch.

          Thanks

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 23, 2013
            On 21 January 2013 21:07, Anestis Kozakis <kenosti@...> wrote:

            > For a whole now the PCGen webteam has been developing a new website layout.
            > We are almost ready for release but would like some feedback form you, the
            > userbase, before we do an official release.
            >
            > At this stage, the new layout can be found at
            > http://pcgen.org/wordpress(this will change to
            > http://pcgen.org on official release).
            >
            > Please reply to this e-mail to leave your comments

            Looks good to me.

            andrew

          • Anestis Kozakis
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 23, 2013
              Issues addressed in-line.

              On 22 January 2013 10:10, FerretDave <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

              > Not the best start, first link I click fails!
              > 'see features' right above the download button:
              > The requested URL /features was not found on this server.
              >
              > Found the features page later on though, and it mentions support for 4E,
              > do we really want to state this up front when it's not directly supported?

              Well, 4th Edition is supported, to the best of our ability according to the
              license restrictions. We have a Game Mode that people can use to create
              their own files.
              We could put in a disclaimer at the bottom of the page.

              > "Tons of publishers" Quality Control insists we put a number (50+!?) and
              > PR probably wants us to refrain from commenting on our good friends
              > weight... :-)

              I'll talk to our PR people to see if we can get the number of publishers
              that we have.

              > "add or remove races, classes, feats" I know the list is endless, but
              > 'spells' is a popular one.

              We'll get that added.

              > On the system requirements, you mention the java requirements for 5.16
              > before you mention them for 5.17+ - as most new users hitting this site
              > will be aiming to get the latest version, I'd swap the order of that (most
              > users scan it and see j1.7 not supported...)

              We'll get those swapped around.

              > "If you wish to view PDF output sheets, you'll need a PDF viewer."
              > Do we really need to state the obvious ?

              Yes we do. We could always put a link in to the Adobe Acrobat download
              page.

              > 200mb ? My full install of 6.0 only takes up 114MB on disk...

              Worst case scenario. Gives us some wiggle-room for future expansion.

              > Overall, I like it ;-)
              >
              > Cheers
              > Dave

              Anestis.

            • FerretDave
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 25, 2013
                Greetings,

                Thanks.

                4E - ok so it's 'supported', but so is pathfinder, and the difference between what PCGEN can do for each is significant.

                If I bought a product that said it supported something, but (through no fault of our own - it's WOTC's restrictions after all) only really gave me the option to code it myself, then I'd be asking for my money back (sorry, I'm having a similar issue with a vendor at work currently and it's driving me mad, so this is too close to my heart right now).

                We really want to have this on a disclaimer, as 'limited support due to WOTC's licence) so it's obvious, and we don't get loads of complaints and newbies taking up Drew's time about how to code it up themselves.

                Cheers
                Dave

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Anestis Kozakis wrote:

                > Issues addressed in-line.
                >

                > On 22 January 2013 10:10, FerretDave wrote:
                >
                > > Not the best start, first link I click fails!
                > > 'see features' right above the download button:
                > > The requested URL /features was not found on this server.
                > >
                > > Found the features page later on though, and it mentions support for 4E,
                > > do we really want to state this up front when it's not directly supported?
                > >

                > Well, 4th Edition is supported, to the best of our ability according to the
                > license restrictions. We have a Game Mode that people can use to create
                > their own files.
                > We could put in a disclaimer at the bottom of the page.
                >

                > > "Tons of publishers" Quality Control insists we put a number (50+!?) and
                > > PR probably wants us to refrain from commenting on our good friends
                > > weight... :-)
                > >

                > I'll talk to our PR people to see if we can get the number of publishers
                > that we have.
                >

                > > "add or remove races, classes, feats" I know the list is endless, but
                > > 'spells' is a popular one.
                > >

                > We'll get that added.
                >

                > > On the system requirements, you mention the java requirements for 5.16
                > > before you mention them for 5.17+ - as most new users hitting this site
                > > will be aiming to get the latest version, I'd swap the order of that (most
                > > users scan it and see j1.7 not supported...)
                > >

                > We'll get those swapped around.
                >

                > > "If you wish to view PDF output sheets, you'll need a PDF viewer."
                > > Do we really need to state the obvious ?
                > >

                > Yes we do. We could always put a link in to the Adobe Acrobat download
                > page.
                >

                > > 200mb ? My full install of 6.0 only takes up 114MB on disk...
                > >

                > Worst case scenario. Gives us some wiggle-room for future expansion.
                >

                > > Overall, I like it ;-)
                > >
                > > Cheers
                > > Dave
                > >

                > Anestis.

              • Anestis Kozakis
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 25, 2013
                  Dave,

                  I've made some changes to the text ont he various pages.

                  Can you take another look and let us know what you think?

                  Thanks,

                  Anestis (Website 2nd).

                  On 25 January 2013 20:28, FerretDave <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

                  > Greetings,
                  >
                  > Thanks.
                  >
                  > 4E - ok so it's 'supported', but so is pathfinder, and the difference
                  > between what PCGEN can do for each is significant.
                  >
                  > If I bought a product that said it supported something, but (through no
                  > fault of our own - it's WOTC's restrictions after all) only really gave me
                  > the option to code it myself, then I'd be asking for my money back (sorry,
                  > I'm having a similar issue with a vendor at work currently and it's driving
                  > me mad, so this is too close to my heart right now).
                  >
                  > We really want to have this on a disclaimer, as 'limited support due to
                  > WOTC's licence) so it's obvious, and we don't get loads of complaints and
                  > newbies taking up Drew's time about how to code it up themselves.
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > Dave
                  >
                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Anestis Kozakis wrote:
                  >

                  > > > Found the features page later on though, and it mentions support for
                  > 4E,
                  > > > do we really want to state this up front when it's not directly
                  > supported?
                  > > >

                  > > Well, 4th Edition is supported, to the best of our ability according to
                  > the
                  > > license restrictions. We have a Game Mode that people can use to create
                  > > their own files.
                  > > We could put in a disclaimer at the bottom of the page.

                  --
                  Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@... | http://www.akozakis.id.au/

                • Doug Limmer
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
                    Overall, I like it. It looks pretty good. Some hopefully constructive
                    criticism below:

                    1. The first thing I noticed is that the picture on the top page looks
                    right-justified. Maybe that was your intent, but to me it looks like
                    some sort of mistake. Maybe you want to add some padding/margin on the
                    right-hand side?
                    2. Typo: On the "About" page, at the end of the fourth entry in the
                    list under "Important Links", there seems to be an extra Sourceforge.
                    3. Donate to PCGen buttons: There seem to be three different versions
                    of this. There's a rounded green one (with tight padding) in the
                    right-hand column of most/all pages. There's a square red one (with
                    more generous padding) in the bar at the bottom of most/all pages. And
                    then there's the yellow one (PayPal style?) on the Donate page itself.
                    I think just one donate button on each page would be sufficient; I
                    personally prefer the more-padding one.
                    4. Colors. This is all mine own sense of style, so others may
                    disagree. I'm not too fond of the pale yellow / white / bright blue
                    combination that's on the pages. I can't think a specific idea of what
                    might be better, though. Maybe a darker blue? Also the donate buttons
                    seem to be very different in style from the rest of the page. That may
                    be on purpose, though.

                    Just my thoughts, for whatever they're worth.

                    DS/DL

                    On 1/21/2013 4:07 PM, Anestis Kozakis wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > For a whole now the PCGen webteam has been developing a new website
                    > layout.
                    > We are almost ready for release but would like some feedback form you, the
                    > userbase, before we do an official release.
                    >
                    > At this stage, the new layout can be found at
                    > http://pcgen.org/wordpress(this will change to
                    > http://pcgen.org on official release).
                    >
                    > Please reply to this e-mail to leave your comments.
                    >
                    > Thank you.
                    >
                    > Anestis (WebTeam 2nd).
                    >
                    > --
                    > Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@... <mailto:kenosti%40gmail.com>

                  • Anestis Kozakis
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
                      I've made a few tweaks and changes tot he formatting of pages,a nd tweaked
                      some of the wording a little more.

                      Replies in-line.

                      On 27 January 2013 03:26, Doug Limmer <adventure@...> wrote:

                      > Overall, I like it. It looks pretty good. Some hopefully constructive
                      > criticism below:
                      >
                      > 1. The first thing I noticed is that the picture on the top page looks
                      > right-justified. Maybe that was your intent, but to me it looks like some
                      > sort of mistake. Maybe you want to add some padding/margin on the
                      > right-hand side?

                      I'll pass that on tot he main designer.

                      > 2. Typo: On the "About" page, at the end of the fourth entry in the list
                      > under "Important Links", there seems to be an extra Sourceforge.

                      Fixed.

                      > 3. Donate to PCGen buttons: There seem to be three different versions of
                      > this. There's a rounded green one (with tight padding) in the right-hand
                      > column of most/all pages. There's a square red one (with more generous
                      > padding) in the bar at the bottom of most/all pages. And then there's the
                      > yellow one (PayPal style?) on the Donate page itself. I think just one
                      > donate button on each page would be sufficient; I personally prefer the
                      > more-padding one.

                      I see what you're saying, and it can get confusing. The "Donate to PCgen"
                      on most of the pages buttons just leads to the "Donate" page. The actual
                      PayPal button is yellow, and we can't change that as that is the standard
                      button PayPal uses. Personally, I like the green button. I'll see what we
                      can do to pad the green one out.

                      > 4. Colors. This is all mine own sense of style, so others may disagree.
                      > I'm not too fond of the pale yellow / white / bright blue combination
                      > that's on the pages. I can't think a specific idea of what might be
                      > better, though. Maybe a darker blue? Also the donate buttons seem to be
                      > very different in style from the rest of the page. That may be on purpose,
                      > though.

                      The theme is tied into the look of the actual PCGen program. The
                      splashscreen of the program uses the Vitruvian man, often depicted on a
                      parchment-yellow background. The blue is the standard default colour for
                      weblinks.

                      > Just my thoughts, for whatever they're worth.
                      >
                      > DS/DL

                      Anestis (Website 2nd).

                      --
                      Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@...

                    • FerretDave
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 27, 2013
                        Greetings,

                        Thanks :-)
                        I like the link through on the publishers to the full list, good call.
                        One thing that's then worth noting however, 4th Ed is not listed on there as a game mode, I think your footnote on it covers it (could have an extra 'due to WOTC's permission/gaming licence restrictions') but the list of publishers could do with a note that 4th ed exists as a gamemode, but then notes some more info indicating that permissions are not granted to distribute data files.

                        (I dont want/use 4th ed, just dont want others being disappointed by the lack of initial support or overlooking the flexibility of pcgen to do it themselves).

                        On the system requirements, how about rewording:
                        PCGen 5.14.x and 5.16.x require JRE versions 1.5.x or 1.6.x. Versions 1.7.x or above are not supported at this time.

                        PCGen 5.14.x and 5.16.x require JRE versions 1.5.x or 1.6.x. Java versions 1.7.x and above are only supported by PCGen 6.00 upwards.

                        As 'not supported at this time' could be read as 'someone is going to modify the old versions to work someday...'

                        Disk space dropped to 120 mb - nice one ;-)

                        Thanks for all this, looking good.