Racial Abilities

  • mbray0007
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2013
      Hi everyone,

      I'm extremely new to creating datasets for PCGen but i feel like i am picking up on it fairly well. I have stumbled onto a road block with Racial Traits. Specifically ones where its not as simple as SAB:ability
      the first example i have run across is the Shifter ability that you choose 1 out of 6. I considered setting it up like favored enemy but im at a loss for how the CHOOSE/CHOICE works, which one is apropriate etc. And when looking at the Ranger Favored enemy code, there isn't a mention of choice/choose. it seems to just do what it is supposed to do. I've seen another post about shifter's from a couple of years ago. but it didn't identify with this specific problem and i expect i may run into this with other races as well. I'm lost and would greatly appreciate any help.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2013

        Well, this looks like a List File Help question. But the Answer my friend would be to set up an
        ABILITYCATEGORY much like how Fighter Feats are set up.

        In an ABILITYCATEGORY File:
        ABILITYCATEGORY:YourNameOfThePoolHere
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        TYPE:ShifterRacial
        EDITABLE:YES
        EDITPOOL:YES
        DISPLAYLOCATION:Racial Abilities

        Then set up your six selections with the same model in an Ability File:

        AbilityName
        TYPE:ShifterRacial.SpecialQuality
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        DESC:Whatever you want to say

        In the Race - BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|YourNameOfThePoolHere|1

        For follow up questions or concerns, please join us over in the List File Help Yahoo Group - Link in
        the footer of this post/email.

        Cheers,

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 19, 2013
          a million thanks you made it look so easy!!