Re: Let's welcome our new Publisher 'Broken Ruler Games'

  • bas1212_2000
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 15, 2013
      I've never played anything other than D&D, but I've been on the hunt for something new to try for awhile now. Since you're offering I'm definitely interested in giving a PDF of Killshot a look and seeing if it's something I can get my group to try out.

      Thanks,
      Brent

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "warden_op" wrote:

      > Thanks, everyone. This is (not sure what level of swearing is acceptable, so I'm going to edit it out with brackets) crazy exciting. I haven't used PCGen in years (stopped playing d20 stuff back 2007) and the idea of my game being a part of this community is a real treat.
      >
      > The dice pool mechanic wasn't so much inspired by the other systems mentioned below, but in spite of, as were many other pieces of this puzzle. In a way, they function very much WoD dice pools, but with more of a dynamic and explosive D&D tone (higher numbers = more awesome).
      >
      > If anyone has any questions about anything Killshot, fire away. If anyone's interested in getting hold of a copy, I'm offering free PDF to anyone who contributes to this or any other PCGen/Killshot-related post on this forum. Even if it's just to say you'd like to get a free PDF, that's okay.
      >
      > The Warden
      > www.brokenrulergames.com
      >
      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" wrote:
      > >
      > > Several of the game mechanics seem similar for ShadowRun, WoD and some others that use dicepools instead of static or level dependent bonuses.
      > >
      > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "thpr" wrote:

      > > > To be fully flexible, yes, there is work to do. However, this looks pretty straightforward, so the majority of the tasks will be things like:
      > > > - Allow a method for a Game Mode to hide the Domains Tab
      > > >
      > > > That doesn't seem to be particularly hard, more what I would term "busywork" than "architecture"
      > > >
      > > > There are a few more significant tasks I've identified so far, though Andrew and I are discussing the rules & data to see how much we can mitigate those requirements.
      > > >
      > > > TP.

    • FerretDave
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 15, 2013
        Greetings,

        While PCGEN is d20 based, I'd love to see it expand out to other mechanics... WoD is just one, and friends who I've introduced to PCGEN have asked if it could support Dark Heresy and the other W40K rpg's too, as they absolutely love what PCGEN does for DnD and really want the power for other systems.

        Free PDF's? Never say no to such an offer! :-) Though I'll try and contribute something useful first...

        Cheers

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "warden_op" wrote:

        > Thanks, everyone. This is (not sure what level of swearing is acceptable, so I'm going to edit it out with brackets) crazy exciting. I haven't used PCGen in years (stopped playing d20 stuff back 2007) and the idea of my game being a part of this community is a real treat.
        >
        > The dice pool mechanic wasn't so much inspired by the other systems mentioned below, but in spite of, as were many other pieces of this puzzle. In a way, they function very much WoD dice pools, but with more of a dynamic and explosive D&D tone (higher numbers = more awesome).
        >
        > If anyone has any questions about anything Killshot, fire away. If anyone's interested in getting hold of a copy, I'm offering free PDF to anyone who contributes to this or any other PCGen/Killshot-related post on this forum. Even if it's just to say you'd like to get a free PDF, that's okay.
        >
        > The Warden
        > www.brokenrulergames.com
        >
        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" wrote:
        > >
        > > Several of the game mechanics seem similar for ShadowRun, WoD and some others that use dicepools instead of static or level dependent bonuses.
        > >
        > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "thpr" wrote:

        > > > To be fully flexible, yes, there is work to do. However, this looks pretty straightforward, so the majority of the tasks will be things like:
        > > > - Allow a method for a Game Mode to hide the Domains Tab
        > > >
        > > > That doesn't seem to be particularly hard, more what I would term "busywork" than "architecture"
        > > >
        > > > There are a few more significant tasks I've identified so far, though Andrew and I are discussing the rules & data to see how much we can mitigate those requirements.
        > > >
        > > > TP.

      • thpr
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 15, 2013
          Okay, Andrew and I have looked at the rules, here are the questions I've captured so far. We'll need to clear up these items in order to be able to complete any data.

          (Note: I'm not at all through Equipment or any portion of the Director section of the book, so only have looked at creating an Assassin)

          The Burglar: Page A31: Burglar can purchase extra benefits "of a particular modifier" (which are on page A22)

          Question #1: For purposes of purchasing extra benefits for a modifier, is "Size" (a) one modifier that impacts all Size based modifiers? (b) Two modifiers as shown in the table (c) Four modifiers, one for each size shown.
          Comment A: I assume the Minor, Average, and Major modifiers are not separate for purposes of this selection of extra benefits. If that is a bad assumption, please let us know.
          Question #2: Some Modifiers have Minor, Average, and Major. For the Burglar, the benefits are capped at "2x the max modifier dice". Is that 2X minor, average, or major?

          Question #2.1: If Question #2 is not "minor" then is the limit that minor can only be impacted to 2x minor, but the extra benefits could be purchased up to - for example - 2x major?
          Comment B: While there is an implied "Size Medium" (normal human target size) in the rules, I assume it cannot be purchased for Burglar since the effective modifier is 0d10 and 2 * 0 == 0

          Anticipate: Page A31: "Professional: Only Hunters with at least +3d12 Hunter focus dice gain this option"
          Question #3: Does a Hunter automatically gain Anticipate with they have 3d12 Hunter dice? or does this require training point purchase. If purchase, where is the cost specified?

          Recover: Page A48: "Professional: Only those who have gained at least 10 achievements can gain this option."
          Question #4: Does the use of "can gain" vs. "gain" imply a different answer than Question #3 above?

          Active: Page A37: The Untrained option is less than fully clear to me.
          Question #5: Is the included text attempting to imply that you can use "Dual Strike" untrained? In other words, "You can attempt to use the Active option untrained, meaning your character attempts to use an altered version of the option (i.e. attacking two opponents instead of one, making opposing rolls instead of matching rolls). You take a half penalty to all base dice while using this option untrained." can also be interpreted as: "You may use the Active Option to attempt a Trained option in which your character is not trained. (i.e. using an Untrained version of Dual Strike in attacking two opponents instead of one, making opposing rolls instead of matching rolls). You take a half penalty to all base dice when using the Untrained feature."
          Comment C: I believe the "making opposing rolls instead of matching rolls" is attempting to modify the "Dice Option" a few paragraphs earlier? If not, please correct me.
          Comment D: If my interpretation is correct, and if you'll pardon a bit of editorializing for a moment, you may want to simply have an "Untrained" be promoted to its own Option rather than making it a feature of "Active". That would then break out the explanation for doing things untrained and would keep the rules from having only one action that referred to an "Untrained" section (since the behavior would enter up into the main section of the "Untrained" option)

          TP.
        • warden_op
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 16, 2013
            Answer #1: Size modifiers are a single modifier applying to anything where the target is small or large (+1d10) or massive/tiny (+3d10). So let's say you're trying to make a head shot. The Director determines it's a small target and adds +1d10 to the opponent's defence roll. If you're trying to drag a crate across the floor, the Director tells you it's a massive crate and adds on +3d10 to her opposed roll as you try to use Body to drag it.

            Answer #2: The Burglar's ability to double those dice is based on the overall modifier, so the Burglar would need to apply their bonus d10s to either Size (Large, Small) OR Size (Massive, Tiny). Both of your follow-ups (medium size and doubling minor or major modifiers) is correct.

            Answer #3: Professional options, such as Anticipate, are gained automatically when the character has the minimum number of d12s in their focus.

            Answer #4: There is no difference mechanically. Theoretically, there's nothing to force a character to take it, but it is available automatically when the assassin earns her 10th achievement.

            Answer #5: Using an option untrained allows you to change one of the original option's mechanics. That makes it possible to attack with two weapons, but that does not replicate Dual Strike, the option. Whenever you try to modify one of the Active option's core principles (matching roll changed to opposite roll, for example), then all base dice suffer a half penalty. So if you try to make an untrained attack of Body vs. Mind, then your base dice are cut in half. If you try to attack with two weapons and roll Body vs. Mind untrained, then your base dice automatically default to a result of 1. Comment C is correct.

            There are going to be some minor errata for the game and I've made a note about your recommendation. Really, the Active option is the only one that can be used untrained (which may be a bit of a misnomer because it's available to all characters). Duly noted.

            Hope those help. Let me know if not.

            The Warden

> [...]
            > Comment C: I believe the "making opposing rolls instead of matching rolls" is attempting to modify the "Dice Option" a few paragraphs earlier? If not, please correct me.
            > Comment D: If my interpretation is correct, and if you'll pardon a bit of editorializing for a moment, you may want to simply have an "Untrained" be promoted to its own Option rather than making it a feature of "Active". That would then break out the explanation for doing things untrained and would keep the rules from having only one action that referred to an "Untrained" section (since the behavior would enter up into the main section of the "Untrained" option)

          • thpr
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 16, 2013
              Thanks. Just one clarification:

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "warden_op" wrote:
              > Answer #2: The Burglar's ability to double those dice is based on the overall modifier, so the Burglar would need to apply their bonus d10s to either Size (Large, Small) OR Size (Massive, Tiny). Both of your follow-ups (medium size and doubling minor or major modifiers) is correct.

              To make sure I understand this correctly, for the Aggressive Modifier, the Burglar can purchase 6 additional +1d10, and depending on the Director's call on whether the situation is minor, average, or major, then 2, 4, or 6 (respectively) of those bonus dice would apply?

              TP.
            • warden_op
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 17, 2013
                Exactly. The assassin may have spend enough training points to gain +6d10 from Aggressive, but if it's minor Aggressive, then only +2d10 is allowed.

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "thpr" wrote:

                > Thanks. Just one clarification:
                >
                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "warden_op" wrote:
                > > Answer #2: The Burglar's ability to double those dice is based on the overall modifier, so the Burglar would need to apply their bonus d10s to either Size (Large, Small) OR Size (Massive, Tiny). Both of your follow-ups (medium size and doubling minor or major modifiers) is correct.
                >
                > To make sure I understand this correctly, for the Aggressive Modifier, the Burglar can purchase 6 additional +1d10, and depending on the Director's call on whether the situation is minor, average, or major, then 2, 4, or 6 (respectively) of those bonus dice would apply?
                >
                > TP.

              • thpr
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 17, 2013
                  Okay another question.

                  Confuse on page A54: "You must have a common form of communication (i.e.
                  language) between yourself and the opponent..."

                  Is there a defined method for getting a new language in Killshot? I didn't see anything for how to use training points to buy a language... nor much reference to language at all in the sections I've read.

                  Thanks.

                  TP.
                • warden_op
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 18, 2013
                    Nope, there's no formal way. That particular text is more of a tool for Directors to disallow that reaction rather than an actual requirement for assassins. When it comes to languages, the player simply has to state they have knowledge of a language during character creation.