[FREQ]? Add ability to have more than one type of charges to items

  • Matt C
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 14, 2013
      A few items in the RSRD 3.5 have separate charges for two or more separate aspects and, as far as I can tell, this can't be currently handled by PCGen.

      The Rod of Absorption, for example, would seem to me to have two issues to track in terms of charges: how many spell levels the rod has absorbed, total, and how many are available for use in powering spellcasting. A rod may have absorbed 45 levels, having 5 left that it can absorb, and 25 spell levels for powering spellcasting. Presumably, the charges on this rod would currently be entered as 5, but that wouldn't tell anything about the second number. (The levels available for spellcasting may be harder to represent in that it is "going up" while the absorption capacity is "going down".)

      I created alternate versions of some items, like the Helm of Brilliance, the Necklace(s) of Fireballs, and the Robe of Bones, by turning them into containers with the contained items (`gems' for the Helm, "spheres" for the Necklaces, and 'patches' for the Robe) representing charges/uses of each type. An awkward work-around, but I wouldn't be sure how to do it with the Rod, and it would be better if the Helm had four types of charges for the four types of gem, etc.

      Thanks, Matt
    • FerretDave
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 15, 2013
        Greetings,
        Nice idea, Make sure the container is specific though, so it can only hold the 'Helm of Brillance Gem' etc.

        For the Rod - same concept, two items 'Rod of Absorption - Absorb' and 'Rod of Absorption - Power' which each has their own charges (no charges on the 'container' itself). The rod is a container that can hold 2 items, one of each of the above...

        Not sure if you can create an item that can *ONLY* be contained though, to avoid the sub-items being carried separately... ?

        Cheers
        Dave