Re: [JIRA] Re: [pcgen] Sorcerer Wildblood Variants?

  • Doug Limmer
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
      The crossblooded file shouldn't have anything to do with the base
      wildblooded archetype/bloodlines.

      I'm going to hazard a guess as to what procedure you have used/are using
      to create the character.

      1. You first created the character without having /Ultimate Magic/ loaded.
      2. When you start PCGen, you load your sources (including UM), then you
      load your character.
      3. You have "load sources with character" turned on (which I think is
      the new default).

      If I'm right, what's happening is that when you load your character, the
      original sources your character used when created are re-loaded,
      effectively unloading UM.

      Try reversing the steps in 2; load your character, then load UM (and
      whatever else) as a source. If it works, and you see the Sylvan
      bloodline, choose it and re-save your character. Then, close the
      character and re-load it. Hopefully, everything will work well from
      then on.

      If not, you may have to re-create your character after loading all the
      sources you wish to use.

      DS/DL

      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013

        After a lengthy back and forth off-list, this is what actually ended up being the case.

        I'm being asked about a Boon Companion now... And the only place I see it is in Seeker of Secrets
        which isn't finished yet.

        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
          Gah! I'm getting there - might be done sometime next week!

          Cheers

          Paul

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew wrote:
          <snip>

          > I'm being asked about a Boon Companion now... And the only place I see it is in Seeker of Secrets
          > which isn't finished yet.

          <snip>
        • lazarus416
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
            Thank you guys for all of the help. I don't remember seeing a "how to" for PCGen anywhere. Is there one that I missed? Or is it figure out as you go and get social by trolling the boards?

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > After a lengthy back and forth off-list, this is what actually ended up being the case.
            >
            > I'm being asked about a Boon Companion now... And the only place I see it is in Seeker of Secrets
            > which isn't finished yet.
            >
            > On 1/11/2013 3:20 AM, Doug Limmer wrote:
            > > The crossblooded file shouldn't have anything to do with the base
            > > wildblooded archetype/bloodlines.
            > >
            > > I'm going to hazard a guess as to what procedure you have used/are using
            > > to create the character.
            > >
            > > 1. You first created the character without having /Ultimate Magic/ loaded.
            > > 2. When you start PCGen, you load your sources (including UM), then you
            > > load your character.
            > > 3. You have "load sources with character" turned on (which I think is
            > > the new default).
            > >
            > > If I'm right, what's happening is that when you load your character, the
            > > original sources your character used when created are re-loaded,
            > > effectively unloading UM.
            > >
            > > Try reversing the steps in 2; load your character, then load UM (and
            > > whatever else) as a source. If it works, and you see the Sylvan
            > > bloodline, choose it and re-save your character. Then, close the
            > > character and re-load it. Hopefully, everything will work well from
            > > then on.
            > >
            > > If not, you may have to re-create your character after loading all the
            > > sources you wish to use.
            > >
            > > DS/DL
            > >
            > > On 1/10/2013 10:07 PM, lazarus416 wrote:
            > >> Ok...how? Found the file, but when I click on your name to send you an
            > >> email, there does not appear to be any way to attach a file.
            > >>
            > >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com , Andrew
            > >>>

            > >> pcgen/data/alpha/paizo/pathfinder_rpg/ultimate_magic_pfum_abilities_archetypes_sorcerer_crossblooded.lst

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >

            > --
            > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
            > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
            > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

          • lazarus416
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
              No biggie (for me anyway). Game is not for several weeks yet. And I can always go the long way around and work up a druid to print the pet if I need to. I didn't realize it was a feat from an obscure book. I kept seeing references to it on the boards. I am new to PF, so I have had to do a lot of research. (Currently trying to decide if I want to do a Tierfling Magus or a Sylvan Sorcerer to fill the Arcane slot in our party.)

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pshipley@..." wrote:

              > Gah! I'm getting there - might be done sometime next week!
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Paul
              >
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew wrote:
              >

              > > I'm being asked about a Boon Companion now... And the only place I see it is in Seeker of Secrets
              > > which isn't finished yet.

            • Ragabash Moon
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
                So, what about making it so you can't just take Wildblooded bloodlines without
                the archetype? That should be pretty easy, shouldn't it? Or is that the way
                it does work?

                'Take my love, take my land, I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the
                sky from me. Take me out to the Black, tell them I ain't comin' back, burn the
                land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can
                be, since I've found Serenity, you can't take the sky from me." -- Joss Whedon,
                Ballad of Serenity

                RagabashMoon@...

                ________________________________
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
                  Hi Lazarus!

                  Have you look in the Docs? Look under the help menu.

                  Maredudd

                  Sent from my iPad

                  On Jan 11, 2013, at 9:15 AM, "lazarus416" <lazarus416@...> wrote:

                  > Thank you guys for all of the help. I don't remember seeing a "how to" for PCGen anywhere. Is there one that I missed? Or is it figure out as you go and get social by trolling the boards?
                  >
                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > After a lengthy back and forth off-list, this is what actually ended up being the case.
                  > >
                  > > I'm being asked about a Boon Companion now... And the only place I see it is in Seeker of Secrets
                  > > which isn't finished yet.
                  > >
                  > > On 1/11/2013 3:20 AM, Doug Limmer wrote:
                  > > > The crossblooded file shouldn't have anything to do with the base
                  > > > wildblooded archetype/bloodlines.
                  > > >
                  > > > I'm going to hazard a guess as to what procedure you have used/are using
                  > > > to create the character.
                  > > >
                  > > > 1. You first created the character without having /Ultimate Magic/ loaded.
                  > > > 2. When you start PCGen, you load your sources (including UM), then you
                  > > > load your character.
                  > > > 3. You have "load sources with character" turned on (which I think is
                  > > > the new default).
                  > > >
                  > > > If I'm right, what's happening is that when you load your character, the
                  > > > original sources your character used when created are re-loaded,
                  > > > effectively unloading UM.
                  > > >
                  > > > Try reversing the steps in 2; load your character, then load UM (and
                  > > > whatever else) as a source. If it works, and you see the Sylvan
                  > > > bloodline, choose it and re-save your character. Then, close the
                  > > > character and re-load it. Hopefully, everything will work well from
                  > > > then on.
                  > > >
                  > > > If not, you may have to re-create your character after loading all the
                  > > > sources you wish to use.
                  > > >
                  > > > DS/DL

                  > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  > > >

                  > > --
                  > > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                  > > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur

                • Maredudd
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
                    Hi Ragabash,

                    Taking the Wildblooded bloodline is the archetype.

                    Maredudd

                    Sent from my iPad

                    On Jan 11, 2013, at 9:38 AM, Ragabash Moon <RagabashMoon@...> wrote:

                    > So, what about making it so you can't just take Wildblooded bloodlines without
                    > the archetype? That should be pretty easy, shouldn't it? Or is that the way
                    > it does work?
                    >
                    > 'Take my love, take my land, I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the
                    > sky from me. Take me out to the Black, tell them I ain't comin' back, burn the
                    > land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can
                    > be, since I've found Serenity, you can't take the sky from me." -- Joss Whedon,
                    > Ballad of Serenity
                    >
                    > RagabashMoon@...
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Doug Limmer
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
                      To expand upon and give personal account to a previous response:

                      It would be easy to make it possible to only take Wildblooded bloodlines
                      if you choose a Wildblooded archtype. (And, to also only make regular
                      bloodlines available to characters without a Wildblooded archetype).

                      I deliberately chose not to implement it that way. The Wildblooded
                      archetype is functionally equivalent[1] to a bunch of extra bloodlines,
                      so I implemented them that way, instead. I figured it was fewer steps
                      for the user to choose the Sylvan bloodline directly from the list of
                      bloodlines, rather then first requiring the user to select an archetype,
                      and then choose the Sylvan bloodline. The bloodlines are clearly
                      labeled as being wildblooded, so I don't think there would be any confusion.

                      If the consensus is that the alternate way is better, even though it
                      takes another step, it's easy to change.

                      DS/DL

                      [1] There is one possibly exception, which is possibly unintended, and
                      would commonly be house ruled away anyway.

                      On 1/11/2013 9:38 AM, Ragabash Moon wrote:

                      > So, what about making it so you can't just take Wildblooded bloodlines
                      > without
                      > the archetype? That should be pretty easy, shouldn't it? Or is that
                      > the way
                      > it does work?
                      >
                      > 'Take my love, take my land, I don't care, I'm still free, you can't
                      > take the
                      > sky from me. Take me out to the Black, tell them I ain't comin' back,
                      > burn the
                      > land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no
                      > place I can
                      > be, since I've found Serenity, you can't take the sky from me." --
                      > Joss Whedon,
                      > Ballad of Serenity
                      >
                      > RagabashMoon@... <mailto:RagabashMoon%40sbcglobal.net>

                      > From: Doug Limmer adventure@...

                    • Maredudd
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
                        Hi folks!

                        Paul, I am good with the implementation you did for the Wildblooded Archetype.

                        Maredudd