Re: [pcgen] Pathfinder Sorcerers and Spells known - possible migration issue

  • David R. Bender
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 8, 2013
      This may have nothing to do with the problem and I am NOT a coder, but
      you say Java 6. My understanding is that PCGen v6.00.0 only works with
      Java 7.

      -- david
      Papa.DRB

      My better half and me (jpg)

      On 1/7/2013 10:26 PM, UnclePete wrote:
      > Evening, All.
      >
      > I have a Pathfinder Sorcerer with the Draconic bloodline, currently at
      > 6th level.
      >
      > I've been following a recent discussion on this list regarding spells
      > known, because this particular character has too many 'spells known'.
      > The correct spells known (including the bonus 1st and 2nd level
      > bloodline spells) should be 7, 5, 3, 1 and PCGen is showing 7, 6, 4, 1.
      > If I increase the character level to 7th, which gains a bonus 3rd level
      > bloodline spell I get 7, 7, 5, 4 instead of the correct 7, 6, 4, 3.
      >
      > This character was created quite a while back and moved to the latest
      > version of PCGen as each became available. The same error does not
      > appear if the 6th or 7th level sorcerer is created from scratch using
      > the current PCGen version (6.00.0 on linux using SUracle java 6).
      >
      > To me, it appears that the bloodline bonus spells are being added twice.
      >
      > So, two questions:
      > 1. How do I stop the double counting of bonus spells (or whatever it
      > needs to get the known spells corrected)
      > 2. Is anything else affected? Ie how can you check the migration is OK?
      >
      > I guess the overriding question is "What is the best way of 'migrating'
      > an existing character from one version of PCGen to another?" because
      > plenty of people will complain about recreating characters from scratch
      > each time a new PCGen version is released.
      >
      > Pete
    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 8, 2013
        Nope it works with java 6 as well :-)

        On Tuesday, 8 January 2013, David R. Bender wrote:

        > **
        >

        > This may have nothing to do with the problem and I am NOT a coder, but
        > you say Java 6. My understanding is that PCGen v6.00.0 only works with
        > Java 7.
        >
        > -- david
        > Papa.DRB
        >
        > My better half and me (jpg)
        >
        > https://picasaweb.google.com/102726903532570043857/Family#slideshow/5533056948910114610>

        > Toby Keith - Love Me If You Can<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhcfFekSbHQ&ob=av3e>

        > On 1/7/2013 10:26 PM, UnclePete wrote:
        > > Evening, All.
        > >
        > > I have a Pathfinder Sorcerer with the Draconic bloodline, currently at
        > > 6th level.
        > >
        > > I've been following a recent discussion on this list regarding spells
        > > known, because this particular character has too many 'spells known'.
        > > The correct spells known (including the bonus 1st and 2nd level
        > > bloodline spells) should be 7, 5, 3, 1 and PCGen is showing 7, 6, 4, 1.
        > > If I increase the character level to 7th, which gains a bonus 3rd level
        > > bloodline spell I get 7, 7, 5, 4 instead of the correct 7, 6, 4, 3.
        > >
        > > This character was created quite a while back and moved to the latest
        > > version of PCGen as each became available. The same error does not
        > > appear if the 6th or 7th level sorcerer is created from scratch using
        > > the current PCGen version (6.00.0 on linux using SUracle java 6).
        > >
        > > To me, it appears that the bloodline bonus spells are being added twice.
        > >
        > > So, two questions:
        > > 1. How do I stop the double counting of bonus spells (or whatever it
        > > needs to get the known spells corrected)
        > > 2. Is anything else affected? Ie how can you check the migration is OK?
        > >
        > > I guess the overriding question is "What is the best way of 'migrating'
        > > an existing character from one version of PCGen to another?" because
        > > plenty of people will complain about recreating characters from scratch
        > > each time a new PCGen version is released.
        > >
        > > Pete

      • David R. Bender
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 8, 2013
          Thanks. Like I said not a coder. At least not Java nor Object Oriented.
          If I ever win the lotto I think I'd hiresomeone to code PCGen in Rexx so
          I could understand it.... heh

          -- david
          Papa.DRB

          My better half and me (jpg)

          On 1/8/2013 10:04 AM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
          > Nope it works with java 6 as well :-)
          >
          > On Tuesday, 8 January 2013, David R. Bender wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> This may have nothing to do with the problem and I am NOT a coder, but
          >> you say Java 6. My understanding is that PCGen v6.00.0 only works with
          >> Java 7.
          >>
          >> -- david
          >> Papa.DRB
          >>
          >> My better half and me (jpg)
          >>
          >> https://picasaweb.google.com/102726903532570043857/Family#slideshow/5533056948910114610>

          >> Toby Keith - Love Me If You Can<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhcfFekSbHQ&ob=av3e>
          >> On 1/7/2013 10:26 PM, UnclePete wrote:
          >>> Evening, All.
          >>>
          >>> I have a Pathfinder Sorcerer with the Draconic bloodline, currently at
          >>> 6th level.
          >>>
          >>> I've been following a recent discussion on this list regarding spells
          >>> known, because this particular character has too many 'spells known'.
          >>> The correct spells known (including the bonus 1st and 2nd level
          >>> bloodline spells) should be 7, 5, 3, 1 and PCGen is showing 7, 6, 4, 1.
          >>> If I increase the character level to 7th, which gains a bonus 3rd level
          >>> bloodline spell I get 7, 7, 5, 4 instead of the correct 7, 6, 4, 3.
          >>>
          >>> This character was created quite a while back and moved to the latest
          >>> version of PCGen as each became available. The same error does not
          >>> appear if the 6th or 7th level sorcerer is created from scratch using
          >>> the current PCGen version (6.00.0 on linux using SUracle java 6).
          >>>
          >>> To me, it appears that the bloodline bonus spells are being added twice.
          >>>
          >>> So, two questions:
          >>> 1. How do I stop the double counting of bonus spells (or whatever it
          >>> needs to get the known spells corrected)
          >>> 2. Is anything else affected? Ie how can you check the migration is OK?
          >>>
          >>> I guess the overriding question is "What is the best way of 'migrating'
          >>> an existing character from one version of PCGen to another?" because
          >>> plenty of people will complain about recreating characters from scratch
          >>> each time a new PCGen version is released.
          >>>
          >>> Pete

        • UnclePete
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 9, 2013
            :)

            I remember REXX, although I was much better at its predecessor, EXEC.
            Been a long time since I've touched either.

            However, I still have a problem with my migrated character. Does anyone
            have any ideas on why the 'spells known' count could have been
            scrambled, and most importantly, how to fix it.

            Pete

            On 01/09/2013 02:11 AM, David R. Bender wrote:

            > Thanks. Like I said not a coder. At least not Java nor Object Oriented.
            > If I ever win the lotto I think I'd hiresomeone to code PCGen in Rexx so
            > I could understand it.... heh
            >
            > -- david
            > Papa.DRB
            >
            > My better half and me (jpg)
            > https://picasaweb.google.com/102726903532570043857/Family#slideshow/5533056948910114610>

            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhcfFekSbHQ&ob=av3e>

            > On 1/8/2013 10:04 AM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
            > > Nope it works with java 6 as well :-)
            > >
            > > On Tuesday, 8 January 2013, David R. Bender wrote:
            > >
            > >> **
            > >>

            > >> This may have nothing to do with the problem and I am NOT a coder, but
            > >> you say Java 6. My understanding is that PCGen v6.00.0 only works with
            > >> Java 7.
            > >>
            > >> -- david
            > >> Papa.DRB
            > >>
            > >> My better half and me (jpg)
            > >>

            > https://picasaweb.google.com/102726903532570043857/Family#slideshow/5533056948910114610>
            > >>

            > >> Love Me If You Can by Toby Keith (video)
            > >> Toby Keith - Love Me If You
            > Canhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhcfFekSbHQ&ob=av3e>
            > >> Madness takes its toll - please have exact change.
            > >> For those who believe, no proof is necessary, for those who don't
            > >> believe, no proof is possible. (Stuart Chase 1888-1985)

            > 4, 1.
            > level

            > twice.

            > is OK?

            > 'migrating'
            > scratch

            > > PCGen List File Help:
            > >
            > > PCGen Experimental:
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • David R. Bender
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
              Pete,

              Uploadthe .pcg file to the files section and I'll take a look at it.

              -- david
              Papa.DRB

              My better half and me (jpg)

              On 1/9/2013 5:49 PM, UnclePete wrote:
              > :)
              >
              > I remember REXX, although I was much better at its predecessor, EXEC.
              > Been a long time since I've touched either.
              >
              > However, I still have a problem with my migrated character. Does anyone
              > have any ideas on why the 'spells known' count could have been
              > scrambled, and most importantly, how to fix it.
              >
              > Pete
            • UnclePete
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
                David,

                I would if I could. Moderator has blocked file upload to 'files>need
                help with'

                Pete

                On 01/11/2013 01:04 AM, David R. Bender wrote:

                > Pete,
                >
                > Uploadthe .pcg file to the files section and I'll take a look at it.
                >
                > -- david
                > Papa.DRB
                >
                > My better half and me (jpg)
                > https://picasaweb.google.com/102726903532570043857/Family#slideshow/5533056948910114610>

                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhcfFekSbHQ&ob=av3e>

                > On 1/9/2013 5:49 PM, UnclePete wrote:
                > > :)
                > >
                > > I remember REXX, although I was much better at its predecessor, EXEC.
                > > Been a long time since I've touched either.
                > >
                > > However, I still have a problem with my migrated character. Does anyone
                > > have any ideas on why the 'spells known' count could have been
                > > scrambled, and most importantly, how to fix it.
                > >
                > > Pete

              • David R. Bender
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
                  Ok. I just checked, you are correct. Send me the file papa_drb@...
                  and I'll take a look.

                  -- david
                  Papa.DRB

                  My better half and me (jpg)

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013

                    Unblocked. You can upload.

                    On 1/10/2013 2:03 PM, UnclePete wrote:
                    > David,
                    >
                    > I would if I could. Moderator has blocked file upload to 'files>need
                    > help with'
                    >
                    > Pete
                    >

                    > On 01/11/2013 01:04 AM, David R. Bender wrote:
                    >> Pete,
                    >>
                    >> Uploadthe .pcg file to the files section and I'll take a look at it.
                    >>
                    >> -- david
                    >> Papa.DRB
                    >>
                    >> My better half and me (jpg)
                    >> https://picasaweb.google.com/102726903532570043857/Family#slideshow/5533056948910114610>

                    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhcfFekSbHQ&ob=av3e>

                    >> On 1/9/2013 5:49 PM, UnclePete wrote:
                    >>> :)
                    >>>
                    >>> I remember REXX, although I was much better at its predecessor, EXEC.
                    >>> Been a long time since I've touched either.
                    >>>
                    >>> However, I still have a problem with my migrated character. Does anyone
                    >>> have any ideas on why the 'spells known' count could have been
                    >>> scrambled, and most importantly, how to fix it.
                    >>>
                    >>> Pete

                  • UnclePete
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
                      Thanks, Andrew.

                      David,

                      I've uploaded Eric6.pcg to 'files>need help with'.

                      I've also included the PDF file, in case this is environmental. At least
                      I have one doc that shows I'm not totally bonkers :)

                      Pete

                      On 01/11/2013 09:16 AM, Andrew wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > Unblocked. You can upload.
                      >
                      > On 1/10/2013 2:03 PM, UnclePete wrote:
                      > > David,
                      > >
                      > > I would if I could. Moderator has blocked file upload to 'files>need
                      > > help with'
                      > >
                      > > Pete
                      > >

                      > > On 01/11/2013 01:04 AM, David R. Bender wrote:
                      > >> Pete,
                      > >>
                      > >> Uploadthe .pcg file to the files section and I'll take a look at it.
                      > >>
                      > >> -- david
                      > >> Papa.DRB
                      > >>
                      > >> My better half and me (jpg)
                      > >>
                      > https://picasaweb.google.com/102726903532570043857/Family#slideshow/5533056948910114610>
                      >

                      > >> Love Me If You Can by Toby Keith (video)
                      > >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhcfFekSbHQ&ob=av3e>
                      > >>
                      > >> Madness takes its toll - please have exact change.
                      > >> For those who believe, no proof is necessary, for those who don't
                      > >> believe, no proof is possible. (Stuart Chase 1888-1985)

                      > anyone

                      > > PCGen List File Help:
                      > >
                      > > PCGen Experimental:
                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      > >

                      > --
                      > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                      > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
                      > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

                    • David R. Bender
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
                        I looked in the .pcg file and the problem is that there are too many
                        spells defined in the file. Take 1st level for instance. At 6thlevel you
                        should know 4 regular spells and 1 blood line spell for a total of 5.
                        There are 5 1st level spells in the .pcg file*NOT* including the blood
                        line spell.

                        That is the issue. How you got an extra spell into the .pcg file is
                        beyond me.

                        Also, I have a personal html sheet and the number of known spells and
                        cast spells is correct, so the difference between the pdf and html
                        sheets is that the pdf sheet is picking up and counting the number of
                        spells in the .pcg file and the html file is picking up the number that
                        it is supposed to be.

                        The way you can fix this is to edit the .pcg file and remove the spells
                        that should not be there.

                        -- david
                        Papa.DRB

                        My better half and me (jpg)