Pathfinder Sorcerers and Spells known - possible migration issue

  • UnclePete
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 7, 2013
      Evening, All.

      I have a Pathfinder Sorcerer with the Draconic bloodline, currently at
      6th level.

      I've been following a recent discussion on this list regarding spells
      known, because this particular character has too many 'spells known'.
      The correct spells known (including the bonus 1st and 2nd level
      bloodline spells) should be 7, 5, 3, 1 and PCGen is showing 7, 6, 4, 1.
      If I increase the character level to 7th, which gains a bonus 3rd level
      bloodline spell I get 7, 7, 5, 4 instead of the correct 7, 6, 4, 3.

      This character was created quite a while back and moved to the latest
      version of PCGen as each became available. The same error does not
      appear if the 6th or 7th level sorcerer is created from scratch using
      the current PCGen version (6.00.0 on linux using SUracle java 6).

      To me, it appears that the bloodline bonus spells are being added twice.

      So, two questions:
      1. How do I stop the double counting of bonus spells (or whatever it
      needs to get the known spells corrected)
      2. Is anything else affected? Ie how can you check the migration is OK?

      I guess the overriding question is "What is the best way of 'migrating'
      an existing character from one version of PCGen to another?" because
      plenty of people will complain about recreating characters from scratch
      each time a new PCGen version is released.

      Pete
    • David R. Bender
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 8, 2013
        This may have nothing to do with the problem and I am NOT a coder, but
        you say Java 6. My understanding is that PCGen v6.00.0 only works with
        Java 7.

        -- david
        Papa.DRB

        My better half and me (jpg)

        On 1/7/2013 10:26 PM, UnclePete wrote:
        > Evening, All.
        >
        > I have a Pathfinder Sorcerer with the Draconic bloodline, currently at
        > 6th level.
        >
        > I've been following a recent discussion on this list regarding spells
        > known, because this particular character has too many 'spells known'.
        > The correct spells known (including the bonus 1st and 2nd level
        > bloodline spells) should be 7, 5, 3, 1 and PCGen is showing 7, 6, 4, 1.
        > If I increase the character level to 7th, which gains a bonus 3rd level
        > bloodline spell I get 7, 7, 5, 4 instead of the correct 7, 6, 4, 3.
        >
        > This character was created quite a while back and moved to the latest
        > version of PCGen as each became available. The same error does not
        > appear if the 6th or 7th level sorcerer is created from scratch using
        > the current PCGen version (6.00.0 on linux using SUracle java 6).
        >
        > To me, it appears that the bloodline bonus spells are being added twice.
        >
        > So, two questions:
        > 1. How do I stop the double counting of bonus spells (or whatever it
        > needs to get the known spells corrected)
        > 2. Is anything else affected? Ie how can you check the migration is OK?
        >
        > I guess the overriding question is "What is the best way of 'migrating'
        > an existing character from one version of PCGen to another?" because
        > plenty of people will complain about recreating characters from scratch
        > each time a new PCGen version is released.
        >
        > Pete
      • Martijn Verburg
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 8, 2013
          Nope it works with java 6 as well :-)

          On Tuesday, 8 January 2013, David R. Bender wrote:

          > **
          >

          > This may have nothing to do with the problem and I am NOT a coder, but
          > you say Java 6. My understanding is that PCGen v6.00.0 only works with
          > Java 7.
          >
          > -- david
          > Papa.DRB
          >
          > My better half and me (jpg)
          >
          > https://picasaweb.google.com/102726903532570043857/Family#slideshow/5533056948910114610>

          > Toby Keith - Love Me If You Can<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhcfFekSbHQ&ob=av3e>

          > On 1/7/2013 10:26 PM, UnclePete wrote:
          > > Evening, All.
          > >
          > > I have a Pathfinder Sorcerer with the Draconic bloodline, currently at
          > > 6th level.
          > >
          > > I've been following a recent discussion on this list regarding spells
          > > known, because this particular character has too many 'spells known'.
          > > The correct spells known (including the bonus 1st and 2nd level
          > > bloodline spells) should be 7, 5, 3, 1 and PCGen is showing 7, 6, 4, 1.
          > > If I increase the character level to 7th, which gains a bonus 3rd level
          > > bloodline spell I get 7, 7, 5, 4 instead of the correct 7, 6, 4, 3.
          > >
          > > This character was created quite a while back and moved to the latest
          > > version of PCGen as each became available. The same error does not
          > > appear if the 6th or 7th level sorcerer is created from scratch using
          > > the current PCGen version (6.00.0 on linux using SUracle java 6).
          > >
          > > To me, it appears that the bloodline bonus spells are being added twice.
          > >
          > > So, two questions:
          > > 1. How do I stop the double counting of bonus spells (or whatever it
          > > needs to get the known spells corrected)
          > > 2. Is anything else affected? Ie how can you check the migration is OK?
          > >
          > > I guess the overriding question is "What is the best way of 'migrating'
          > > an existing character from one version of PCGen to another?" because
          > > plenty of people will complain about recreating characters from scratch
          > > each time a new PCGen version is released.
          > >
          > > Pete

        • David R. Bender
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 8, 2013
            Thanks. Like I said not a coder. At least not Java nor Object Oriented.
            If I ever win the lotto I think I'd hiresomeone to code PCGen in Rexx so
            I could understand it.... heh

            -- david
            Papa.DRB

            My better half and me (jpg)

            On 1/8/2013 10:04 AM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
            > Nope it works with java 6 as well :-)
            >
            > On Tuesday, 8 January 2013, David R. Bender wrote:
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> This may have nothing to do with the problem and I am NOT a coder, but
            >> you say Java 6. My understanding is that PCGen v6.00.0 only works with
            >> Java 7.
            >>
            >> -- david
            >> Papa.DRB
            >>
            >> My better half and me (jpg)
            >>
            >> https://picasaweb.google.com/102726903532570043857/Family#slideshow/5533056948910114610>

            >> Toby Keith - Love Me If You Can<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhcfFekSbHQ&ob=av3e>
            >> On 1/7/2013 10:26 PM, UnclePete wrote:
            >>> Evening, All.
            >>>
            >>> I have a Pathfinder Sorcerer with the Draconic bloodline, currently at
            >>> 6th level.
            >>>
            >>> I've been following a recent discussion on this list regarding spells
            >>> known, because this particular character has too many 'spells known'.
            >>> The correct spells known (including the bonus 1st and 2nd level
            >>> bloodline spells) should be 7, 5, 3, 1 and PCGen is showing 7, 6, 4, 1.
            >>> If I increase the character level to 7th, which gains a bonus 3rd level
            >>> bloodline spell I get 7, 7, 5, 4 instead of the correct 7, 6, 4, 3.
            >>>
            >>> This character was created quite a while back and moved to the latest
            >>> version of PCGen as each became available. The same error does not
            >>> appear if the 6th or 7th level sorcerer is created from scratch using
            >>> the current PCGen version (6.00.0 on linux using SUracle java 6).
            >>>
            >>> To me, it appears that the bloodline bonus spells are being added twice.
            >>>
            >>> So, two questions:
            >>> 1. How do I stop the double counting of bonus spells (or whatever it
            >>> needs to get the known spells corrected)
            >>> 2. Is anything else affected? Ie how can you check the migration is OK?
            >>>
            >>> I guess the overriding question is "What is the best way of 'migrating'
            >>> an existing character from one version of PCGen to another?" because
            >>> plenty of people will complain about recreating characters from scratch
            >>> each time a new PCGen version is released.
            >>>
            >>> Pete

          • UnclePete
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 9, 2013
              :)

              I remember REXX, although I was much better at its predecessor, EXEC.
              Been a long time since I've touched either.

              However, I still have a problem with my migrated character. Does anyone
              have any ideas on why the 'spells known' count could have been
              scrambled, and most importantly, how to fix it.

              Pete

              On 01/09/2013 02:11 AM, David R. Bender wrote:

              > Thanks. Like I said not a coder. At least not Java nor Object Oriented.
              > If I ever win the lotto I think I'd hiresomeone to code PCGen in Rexx so
              > I could understand it.... heh
              >
              > -- david
              > Papa.DRB
              >
              > My better half and me (jpg)
              > https://picasaweb.google.com/102726903532570043857/Family#slideshow/5533056948910114610>

              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhcfFekSbHQ&ob=av3e>

              > On 1/8/2013 10:04 AM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
              > > Nope it works with java 6 as well :-)
              > >
              > > On Tuesday, 8 January 2013, David R. Bender wrote:
              > >
              > >> **
              > >>

              > >> This may have nothing to do with the problem and I am NOT a coder, but
              > >> you say Java 6. My understanding is that PCGen v6.00.0 only works with
              > >> Java 7.
              > >>
              > >> -- david
              > >> Papa.DRB
              > >>
              > >> My better half and me (jpg)
              > >>

              > https://picasaweb.google.com/102726903532570043857/Family#slideshow/5533056948910114610>
              > >>

              > >> Love Me If You Can by Toby Keith (video)
              > >> Toby Keith - Love Me If You
              > Canhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhcfFekSbHQ&ob=av3e>
              > >> Madness takes its toll - please have exact change.
              > >> For those who believe, no proof is necessary, for those who don't
              > >> believe, no proof is possible. (Stuart Chase 1888-1985)

              > 4, 1.
              > level

              > twice.

              > is OK?

              > 'migrating'
              > scratch

              > > PCGen List File Help:
              > >
              > > PCGen Experimental:
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • David R. Bender
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
                Pete,

                Uploadthe .pcg file to the files section and I'll take a look at it.

                -- david
                Papa.DRB

                My better half and me (jpg)

                On 1/9/2013 5:49 PM, UnclePete wrote:
                > :)
                >
                > I remember REXX, although I was much better at its predecessor, EXEC.
                > Been a long time since I've touched either.
                >
                > However, I still have a problem with my migrated character. Does anyone
                > have any ideas on why the 'spells known' count could have been
                > scrambled, and most importantly, how to fix it.
                >
                > Pete
              • UnclePete
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
                  David,

                  I would if I could. Moderator has blocked file upload to 'files>need
                  help with'

                  Pete

                  On 01/11/2013 01:04 AM, David R. Bender wrote:

                  > Pete,
                  >
                  > Uploadthe .pcg file to the files section and I'll take a look at it.
                  >
                  > -- david
                  > Papa.DRB
                  >
                  > My better half and me (jpg)
                  > https://picasaweb.google.com/102726903532570043857/Family#slideshow/5533056948910114610>

                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhcfFekSbHQ&ob=av3e>

                  > On 1/9/2013 5:49 PM, UnclePete wrote:
                  > > :)
                  > >
                  > > I remember REXX, although I was much better at its predecessor, EXEC.
                  > > Been a long time since I've touched either.
                  > >
                  > > However, I still have a problem with my migrated character. Does anyone
                  > > have any ideas on why the 'spells known' count could have been
                  > > scrambled, and most importantly, how to fix it.
                  > >
                  > > Pete

                • David R. Bender
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
                    Ok. I just checked, you are correct. Send me the file papa_drb@...
                    and I'll take a look.

                    -- david
                    Papa.DRB

                    My better half and me (jpg)

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013

                      Unblocked. You can upload.

                      On 1/10/2013 2:03 PM, UnclePete wrote:
                      > David,
                      >
                      > I would if I could. Moderator has blocked file upload to 'files>need
                      > help with'
                      >
                      > Pete
                      >

                      > On 01/11/2013 01:04 AM, David R. Bender wrote:
                      >> Pete,
                      >>
                      >> Uploadthe .pcg file to the files section and I'll take a look at it.
                      >>
                      >> -- david
                      >> Papa.DRB
                      >>
                      >> My better half and me (jpg)
                      >> https://picasaweb.google.com/102726903532570043857/Family#slideshow/5533056948910114610>

                      >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhcfFekSbHQ&ob=av3e>

                      >> On 1/9/2013 5:49 PM, UnclePete wrote:
                      >>> :)
                      >>>
                      >>> I remember REXX, although I was much better at its predecessor, EXEC.
                      >>> Been a long time since I've touched either.
                      >>>
                      >>> However, I still have a problem with my migrated character. Does anyone
                      >>> have any ideas on why the 'spells known' count could have been
                      >>> scrambled, and most importantly, how to fix it.
                      >>>
                      >>> Pete

                    • UnclePete
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
                        Thanks, Andrew.

                        David,

                        I've uploaded Eric6.pcg to 'files>need help with'.

                        I've also included the PDF file, in case this is environmental. At least
                        I have one doc that shows I'm not totally bonkers :)

                        Pete

                        On 01/11/2013 09:16 AM, Andrew wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > Unblocked. You can upload.
                        >
                        > On 1/10/2013 2:03 PM, UnclePete wrote:
                        > > David,
                        > >
                        > > I would if I could. Moderator has blocked file upload to 'files>need
                        > > help with'
                        > >
                        > > Pete
                        > >

                        > > On 01/11/2013 01:04 AM, David R. Bender wrote:
                        > >> Pete,
                        > >>
                        > >> Uploadthe .pcg file to the files section and I'll take a look at it.
                        > >>
                        > >> -- david
                        > >> Papa.DRB
                        > >>
                        > >> My better half and me (jpg)
                        > >>
                        > https://picasaweb.google.com/102726903532570043857/Family#slideshow/5533056948910114610>
                        >

                        > >> Love Me If You Can by Toby Keith (video)
                        > >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhcfFekSbHQ&ob=av3e>
                        > >>
                        > >> Madness takes its toll - please have exact change.
                        > >> For those who believe, no proof is necessary, for those who don't
                        > >> believe, no proof is possible. (Stuart Chase 1888-1985)

                        > anyone

                        > > PCGen List File Help:
                        > >
                        > > PCGen Experimental:
                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                        > >

                        > --
                        > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                        > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
                        > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

                      • David R. Bender
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
                          I looked in the .pcg file and the problem is that there are too many
                          spells defined in the file. Take 1st level for instance. At 6thlevel you
                          should know 4 regular spells and 1 blood line spell for a total of 5.
                          There are 5 1st level spells in the .pcg file*NOT* including the blood
                          line spell.

                          That is the issue. How you got an extra spell into the .pcg file is
                          beyond me.

                          Also, I have a personal html sheet and the number of known spells and
                          cast spells is correct, so the difference between the pdf and html
                          sheets is that the pdf sheet is picking up and counting the number of
                          spells in the .pcg file and the html file is picking up the number that
                          it is supposed to be.

                          The way you can fix this is to edit the .pcg file and remove the spells
                          that should not be there.

                          -- david
                          Papa.DRB

                          My better half and me (jpg)