Re: Not so good first impression of PCGen 6.0

  • rogerwllco
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2013
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey wrote:

      > HI Adriaan,
      >
      > On 7/01/2013 9:03 PM rogerwllco wrote
      > > I've just downloaded PCGen 6.0 to test if a bug I'm encountering in 5.14 also happens in 6.0.
      > >
      > > My initial problem is that I can't load the rsrd-basic ruleset or any other combination of srd3.5. The only thing I seem to be able to select and unselect is "3.5 RSRD", everything else is red.
      > >
      > > See the linked screenshot.
      > >
      > > http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/7749/screenshot20130107at104.png
      >

      > I think you may have hit a bug I fixed a couple of days ago (along with
      > some further improvements to the sources dialog). What happens is if you
      > add (by double clicking or clicking Add Selected) a second copy of a
      > source that is already in the selected list such as 3.5 RSRD then it
      > cannot be removed. If you remove the source it only removes one copy but
      > the second is no longer shown.
      >
      > To fix it, load another source via the basics tab (or restart PCGen),
      > and then come back to the advanced tab, remove the 3.5 RSRD and select
      > the sources you want.
      >
      > I'm also thinking the automatic selection of sources in advanced based
      > on what is selected in basics is creating more problems for people than
      > it is fixing - we might look at stopping that.

      This could very well have been the issue. Restarting PCGen and making different selections in the Basic Tab did allow me to make selections in the Advanced tab.

      The monikers Core Book I, II, III are confusing to me as well. Is this supposed to be a veiled reference to the PHB, DMG and MM without mentioning those explicitly? I know they are labelled as such, but I don't know anyone who references them, I had to go and look to see which is which.
      The SRD3.5 itself only knows these groups: Basic Rules ( and Legal), Spells, Magic Items, Monsters, Psionics, Epic, Divine

      I also find it difficult to understand what "3.5 RSRD" stands for, is that "All of the above"? And what's in "Advanced"?

      A lot of the options in the Advanced tab sound like Basic tab options. In advanced I would not expect to find an option "no Psionics", I would expect to just be able to leave out the two supplements with Psionics in the name.

      Why is the "for Players" option duplicated in the Advanced tab, but not the "for Game Masters". I would expect neither to be on the Advanced tab but this is inconsistent.

      The Campaign Info pane doesn't tell me what's contained in each of the options either. It would be the only reason to include the "for Players" and "for Game Masters" options in the Advanced tab.

      Overall it's a lot of details for something as simple as the SRD3.5. It's mostly material from 3 of the ~45 CMP datasets that I regularly use. I don't usually select at this detail level, I'm more Core/Generic(Greyhawk)/ForgottenRealms/Eberron/Oriental/Dragonlance/3rd party level in my selection. I would thus see SRD3.5 as an equivalent selection to "Core".

      Including or excluding "Monsters" is more an UI issue because they tend to clutter up the various race selection lists. It would be nice if you could make a more explicit selection between Core, entries with "as Characters" like elven subraces and planetouched and the "Real Monsters".

      > > I can select "SRD 3.5 for Players" in the Basic menu, but that doesn't give me a lot of control, when I'm trying to test LST files.
      > >
      > > If I use that option I can start the program, but the first thing it does is give me an empty screen titled "OGL licence 1.0a". See the second screenshot.
      > >
      > > http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2612/screenshot20130107at110.png
      >

      > I think there was a packaging problem that missed out the OGL text in
      > the Mac installer. Can other Mac users comment on that one please?

      Could be, I think I might have encountered this problem as well when I reviewed a version of 5.17 almost a year ago. I am indeed using the Mac version.

      > > I will now try to figure out how to load the custom source I was trying to test but I wanted to give my first impression of PCGen 6.0.
      >

      > Hopefully the above helps, please do let us know how you go! Thanks for
      > letting us know too - feedback like this is quite useful.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > James.

      I wish I had more time to give feedback and contribute, because I do think PCGen is a great project.

      Cheers,

      Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco
    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2013
        Hi Folks!

        James Dempsey wrote:
        > rogerwllco wrote
        > > I can select "SRD 3.5 for Players" in the Basic menu, but that doesn't give me a lot of control, when I'm trying to test LST files.
        > >
        > > If I use that option I can start the program, but the first thing it does is give me an empty screen titled "OGL licence 1.0a". See the second screenshot.
        > >
        > > http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2612/screenshot20130107at110.png
        >
        > I think there was a packaging problem that missed out the OGL text in
        > the Mac installer. Can other Mac users comment on that one please?

        I can confirm that this is happening but it only occurs when you launch of PCGen and load a set. If you then add an additional source, or change gamemodes and load a new set, you do get the dialog with the OGL included. Of course this assumes you have the preferences set to see the dialog.

        I checked the log and didn't see any errors that seemed relevant.

        Maredudd