Re: [pcgen] Re: Questions about the "Standard Campaign" 80 pt build option

  • Stefan Radermacher
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
      Am 04.01.13 23:36, schrieb David R. Bender:
      > It wasn't in the rules, but I remember something on the Wizards site (a
      > long time ago) that mentioned those methods. They probably were not
      > official, but just ones that folks used.

      That reminds me: non of these point build methods for 3e and 3.5e,
      wether from the DMG or a web site are actually covered by the OGL. We
      may be violating the license here.

      Stefan
    • David R. Bender
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
        Send an email to Paul and have him check it out. I thought that this was
        all fan based stuff, and was covered by derivative work on the OGL. It
        would have been the d20 llicense that might have been the problem. But
        Paul would know.

        -- david
        Papa.DRB

        My better half and me (jpg)

        On 1/4/2013 5:45 PM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:
        > Am 04.01.13 23:36, schrieb David R. Bender:
        >> It wasn't in the rules, but I remember something on the Wizards site (a
        >> long time ago) that mentioned those methods. They probably were not
        >> official, but just ones that folks used.
        > That reminds me: non of these point build methods for 3e and 3.5e,
        > wether from the DMG or a web site are actually covered by the OGL. We
        > may be violating the license here.
        >
        > Stefan

      • Doug Limmer
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
          I assumed that the "80 point buy" method was made up and used precisely
          because the other methods were not OGL.

          DS/DL

          On 1/4/2013 5:45 PM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:

          > Am 04.01.13 23:36, schrieb David R. Bender:
          > > It wasn't in the rules, but I remember something on the Wizards site (a
          > > long time ago) that mentioned those methods. They probably were not
          > > official, but just ones that folks used.
          >
          > That reminds me: non of these point build methods for 3e and 3.5e,
          > wether from the DMG or a web site are actually covered by the OGL. We
          > may be violating the license here.
          >
          > Stefan

        • Stefan Radermacher
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
            Am 05.01.13 00:15, schrieb Doug Limmer:
            > I assumed that the "80 point buy" method was made up and used precisely
            > because the other methods were not OGL.

            That would makes sense indeed.

            Stefan
          • rogerwllco
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
              I think those aren't OGL, they're not in the SRD as far as I know.

              I always assumed what was said earlier, that the "standard method" that PCGen used is made up because the published methods aren't OGL.

              The CMP datasets did come with the DMG methods, but not the srd35 datasets.

              Cheers,

              Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Radermacher wrote:

              > Am 04.01.13 23:24, schrieb Stefan Radermacher:
              > > Am 04.01.13 22:56, schrieb David R. Bender:
              > >> No, 80 point has been a "standard" point buy for 3.5 for a long time.
              > >
              > > Really? I remember 35 points being the default point build for 3.5.
              >
              > Actuall I just checked my 3.5 DMG (page 169), and these are the point
              > buy values listed:
              >
              > Low-powered campaign 15 points
              > Challenging campaign 22 points
              > Tougher campaign 28 points
              > High-powered campaign 32 points
              >
              > The 3.0 DMG has the same values (page 19). No 80 points anywhere. Weird.
              >
              > Stefan.

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 5, 2013
                Yes the 80 point build was put in to be d20 compliant. Then when we dropped the d20 license the values were never added back in for 3e & 35e. Pathfinder has the values published.