Re: [pcgen] Re: Questions about the "Standard Campaign" 80 pt build option

  • David R. Bender
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
      No, 80 point has been a "standard" point buy for 3.5 for a long time.

      -- david
      Papa.DRB

      My better half and me (jpg)

      On 1/4/2013 4:53 PM, Matt C wrote:
      > Did the Standard Campaign 80 pt build in RSRD 3.5 mode come from Pathfinder? I don't know much about Pathfinder and even less about what is OGC in Pathfinder.
      >
      > Thanks, Matt
      >
      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "David R. Bender" wrote:
      >> Yup, I know, I put them all there..... Both wealth by level for NPCs and
      >> PCs....
      >>
      >> -- david
      >> Papa.DRB

    • Stefan Radermacher
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
        Am 04.01.13 22:56, schrieb David R. Bender:
        > No, 80 point has been a "standard" point buy for 3.5 for a long time.

        Really? I remember 35 points being the default point build for 3.5.

        Stefan
      • David R. Bender
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
          Yea, there were a "lot" of "standard" ways to create characters in 3.5.

          1) 24, 28, 32 point buildsstarting at 8.
          2) 25d6 and choose.
          3) 80 points starting at 0.
          4) heroic array
          5) non-heroic array

          Pathfinderchoose "other" "standard" ways, but in the long run it is
          however each DM / player group wants to run it.

          -- david
          Papa.DRB

          My better half and me (jpg)

          On 1/4/2013 5:24 PM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:
          > Am 04.01.13 22:56, schrieb David R. Bender:
          >> No, 80 point has been a "standard" point buy for 3.5 for a long time.
          > Really? I remember 35 points being the default point build for 3.5.
          >
          > Stefan

        • Stefan Radermacher
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
            Am 04.01.13 23:24, schrieb Stefan Radermacher:
            > Am 04.01.13 22:56, schrieb David R. Bender:
            >> No, 80 point has been a "standard" point buy for 3.5 for a long time.
            >
            > Really? I remember 35 points being the default point build for 3.5.

            Actuall I just checked my 3.5 DMG (page 169), and these are the point
            buy values listed:

            Low-powered campaign 15 points
            Challenging campaign 22 points
            Tougher campaign 28 points
            High-powered campaign 32 points

            The 3.0 DMG has the same values (page 19). No 80 points anywhere. Weird.

            Stefan.
          • Stefan Radermacher
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
              Am 04.01.13 23:27, schrieb David R. Bender:
              > Yea, there were a "lot" of "standard" ways to create characters in 3.5.
              >
              > 1) 24, 28, 32 point buildsstarting at 8.
              > 2) 25d6 and choose.
              > 3) 80 points starting at 0.
              > 4) heroic array
              > 5) non-heroic array

              Where do you get that? I can't find any reference to that 80 point thing
              in either the 3.5 or the 3.0 core rules...

              Stefan.
            • David R. Bender
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
                It wasn't in the rules, but I remember something on the Wizards site (a
                long time ago) that mentioned those methods. They probably were not
                official, but just ones that folks used.

                -- david
                Papa.DRB

                My better half and me (jpg)

                On 1/4/2013 5:34 PM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:
                > Am 04.01.13 23:27, schrieb David R. Bender:
                >> Yea, there were a "lot" of "standard" ways to create characters in 3.5.
                >>
                >> 1) 24, 28, 32 point buildsstarting at 8.
                >> 2) 25d6 and choose.
                >> 3) 80 points starting at 0.
                >> 4) heroic array
                >> 5) non-heroic array
                > Where do you get that? I can't find any reference to that 80 point thing
                > in either the 3.5 or the 3.0 core rules...
                >
                > Stefan.

              • Stefan Radermacher
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
                  Am 04.01.13 23:36, schrieb David R. Bender:
                  > It wasn't in the rules, but I remember something on the Wizards site (a
                  > long time ago) that mentioned those methods. They probably were not
                  > official, but just ones that folks used.

                  That reminds me: non of these point build methods for 3e and 3.5e,
                  wether from the DMG or a web site are actually covered by the OGL. We
                  may be violating the license here.

                  Stefan
                • David R. Bender
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
                    Send an email to Paul and have him check it out. I thought that this was
                    all fan based stuff, and was covered by derivative work on the OGL. It
                    would have been the d20 llicense that might have been the problem. But
                    Paul would know.

                    -- david
                    Papa.DRB

                    My better half and me (jpg)

                    On 1/4/2013 5:45 PM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:
                    > Am 04.01.13 23:36, schrieb David R. Bender:
                    >> It wasn't in the rules, but I remember something on the Wizards site (a
                    >> long time ago) that mentioned those methods. They probably were not
                    >> official, but just ones that folks used.
                    > That reminds me: non of these point build methods for 3e and 3.5e,
                    > wether from the DMG or a web site are actually covered by the OGL. We
                    > may be violating the license here.
                    >
                    > Stefan

                  • Doug Limmer
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
                      I assumed that the "80 point buy" method was made up and used precisely
                      because the other methods were not OGL.

                      DS/DL

                      On 1/4/2013 5:45 PM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:

                      > Am 04.01.13 23:36, schrieb David R. Bender:
                      > > It wasn't in the rules, but I remember something on the Wizards site (a
                      > > long time ago) that mentioned those methods. They probably were not
                      > > official, but just ones that folks used.
                      >
                      > That reminds me: non of these point build methods for 3e and 3.5e,
                      > wether from the DMG or a web site are actually covered by the OGL. We
                      > may be violating the license here.
                      >
                      > Stefan

                    • Stefan Radermacher
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
                        Am 05.01.13 00:15, schrieb Doug Limmer:
                        > I assumed that the "80 point buy" method was made up and used precisely
                        > because the other methods were not OGL.

                        That would makes sense indeed.

                        Stefan
                      • rogerwllco
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
                          I think those aren't OGL, they're not in the SRD as far as I know.

                          I always assumed what was said earlier, that the "standard method" that PCGen used is made up because the published methods aren't OGL.

                          The CMP datasets did come with the DMG methods, but not the srd35 datasets.

                          Cheers,

                          Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco

                          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Radermacher wrote:

                          > Am 04.01.13 23:24, schrieb Stefan Radermacher:
                          > > Am 04.01.13 22:56, schrieb David R. Bender:
                          > >> No, 80 point has been a "standard" point buy for 3.5 for a long time.
                          > >
                          > > Really? I remember 35 points being the default point build for 3.5.
                          >
                          > Actuall I just checked my 3.5 DMG (page 169), and these are the point
                          > buy values listed:
                          >
                          > Low-powered campaign 15 points
                          > Challenging campaign 22 points
                          > Tougher campaign 28 points
                          > High-powered campaign 32 points
                          >
                          > The 3.0 DMG has the same values (page 19). No 80 points anywhere. Weird.
                          >
                          > Stefan.

                        • Paul
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 5, 2013
                            Yes the 80 point build was put in to be d20 compliant. Then when we dropped the d20 license the values were never added back in for 3e & 35e. Pathfinder has the values published.