Re: [pcgen] Re: Questions about the "Standard Campaign" 80 pt build option

  • David R. Bender
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 3, 2013
      Yup, I know, I put them all there..... Both wealth by level for NPCs and
      PCs....

      -- david
      Papa.DRB

      My better half and me (jpg)

      On 1/3/2013 9:21 PM, Paul wrote:
      > I believe starting wealth is there for Pathfinder. Under kits
      >

      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Matt C" wrote:
      >> I was wondering where the "standard campaign" 80 point character build option came from in RSRD 3.5 mode. Is it from Pathfinder or somewhere else as OGC? I've looked various places—like the docs, here, and the wiki—but haven't been able to find mention of it.
      >>
      >> If it came from some place as OGC, would that source also have as OGC starting wealth for beginning characters and for higher level characters that might be added in as kits or something? If it is PCGen-specific, perhaps it and some other useful features like starting wealth could be created and combined in the PCGen OGC pack.
      >>
      >> ~~ Matt
    • Matt C
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
        Did the Standard Campaign 80 pt build in RSRD 3.5 mode come from Pathfinder? I don't know much about Pathfinder and even less about what is OGC in Pathfinder.

        Thanks, Matt

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "David R. Bender" wrote:

        > Yup, I know, I put them all there..... Both wealth by level for NPCs and
        > PCs....
        >
        > -- david
        > Papa.DRB

      • David R. Bender
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
          No, 80 point has been a "standard" point buy for 3.5 for a long time.

          -- david
          Papa.DRB

          My better half and me (jpg)

          On 1/4/2013 4:53 PM, Matt C wrote:
          > Did the Standard Campaign 80 pt build in RSRD 3.5 mode come from Pathfinder? I don't know much about Pathfinder and even less about what is OGC in Pathfinder.
          >
          > Thanks, Matt
          >
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "David R. Bender" wrote:
          >> Yup, I know, I put them all there..... Both wealth by level for NPCs and
          >> PCs....
          >>
          >> -- david
          >> Papa.DRB

        • Stefan Radermacher
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
            Am 04.01.13 22:56, schrieb David R. Bender:
            > No, 80 point has been a "standard" point buy for 3.5 for a long time.

            Really? I remember 35 points being the default point build for 3.5.

            Stefan
          • David R. Bender
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
              Yea, there were a "lot" of "standard" ways to create characters in 3.5.

              1) 24, 28, 32 point buildsstarting at 8.
              2) 25d6 and choose.
              3) 80 points starting at 0.
              4) heroic array
              5) non-heroic array

              Pathfinderchoose "other" "standard" ways, but in the long run it is
              however each DM / player group wants to run it.

              -- david
              Papa.DRB

              My better half and me (jpg)

              On 1/4/2013 5:24 PM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:
              > Am 04.01.13 22:56, schrieb David R. Bender:
              >> No, 80 point has been a "standard" point buy for 3.5 for a long time.
              > Really? I remember 35 points being the default point build for 3.5.
              >
              > Stefan

            • Stefan Radermacher
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
                Am 04.01.13 23:24, schrieb Stefan Radermacher:
                > Am 04.01.13 22:56, schrieb David R. Bender:
                >> No, 80 point has been a "standard" point buy for 3.5 for a long time.
                >
                > Really? I remember 35 points being the default point build for 3.5.

                Actuall I just checked my 3.5 DMG (page 169), and these are the point
                buy values listed:

                Low-powered campaign 15 points
                Challenging campaign 22 points
                Tougher campaign 28 points
                High-powered campaign 32 points

                The 3.0 DMG has the same values (page 19). No 80 points anywhere. Weird.

                Stefan.
              • Stefan Radermacher
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
                  Am 04.01.13 23:27, schrieb David R. Bender:
                  > Yea, there were a "lot" of "standard" ways to create characters in 3.5.
                  >
                  > 1) 24, 28, 32 point buildsstarting at 8.
                  > 2) 25d6 and choose.
                  > 3) 80 points starting at 0.
                  > 4) heroic array
                  > 5) non-heroic array

                  Where do you get that? I can't find any reference to that 80 point thing
                  in either the 3.5 or the 3.0 core rules...

                  Stefan.
                • David R. Bender
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
                    It wasn't in the rules, but I remember something on the Wizards site (a
                    long time ago) that mentioned those methods. They probably were not
                    official, but just ones that folks used.

                    -- david
                    Papa.DRB

                    My better half and me (jpg)

                    On 1/4/2013 5:34 PM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:
                    > Am 04.01.13 23:27, schrieb David R. Bender:
                    >> Yea, there were a "lot" of "standard" ways to create characters in 3.5.
                    >>
                    >> 1) 24, 28, 32 point buildsstarting at 8.
                    >> 2) 25d6 and choose.
                    >> 3) 80 points starting at 0.
                    >> 4) heroic array
                    >> 5) non-heroic array
                    > Where do you get that? I can't find any reference to that 80 point thing
                    > in either the 3.5 or the 3.0 core rules...
                    >
                    > Stefan.

                  • Stefan Radermacher
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
                      Am 04.01.13 23:36, schrieb David R. Bender:
                      > It wasn't in the rules, but I remember something on the Wizards site (a
                      > long time ago) that mentioned those methods. They probably were not
                      > official, but just ones that folks used.

                      That reminds me: non of these point build methods for 3e and 3.5e,
                      wether from the DMG or a web site are actually covered by the OGL. We
                      may be violating the license here.

                      Stefan
                    • David R. Bender
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
                        Send an email to Paul and have him check it out. I thought that this was
                        all fan based stuff, and was covered by derivative work on the OGL. It
                        would have been the d20 llicense that might have been the problem. But
                        Paul would know.

                        -- david
                        Papa.DRB

                        My better half and me (jpg)

                        On 1/4/2013 5:45 PM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:
                        > Am 04.01.13 23:36, schrieb David R. Bender:
                        >> It wasn't in the rules, but I remember something on the Wizards site (a
                        >> long time ago) that mentioned those methods. They probably were not
                        >> official, but just ones that folks used.
                        > That reminds me: non of these point build methods for 3e and 3.5e,
                        > wether from the DMG or a web site are actually covered by the OGL. We
                        > may be violating the license here.
                        >
                        > Stefan

                      • Doug Limmer
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
                          I assumed that the "80 point buy" method was made up and used precisely
                          because the other methods were not OGL.

                          DS/DL

                          On 1/4/2013 5:45 PM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:

                          > Am 04.01.13 23:36, schrieb David R. Bender:
                          > > It wasn't in the rules, but I remember something on the Wizards site (a
                          > > long time ago) that mentioned those methods. They probably were not
                          > > official, but just ones that folks used.
                          >
                          > That reminds me: non of these point build methods for 3e and 3.5e,
                          > wether from the DMG or a web site are actually covered by the OGL. We
                          > may be violating the license here.
                          >
                          > Stefan

                        • Stefan Radermacher
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
                            Am 05.01.13 00:15, schrieb Doug Limmer:
                            > I assumed that the "80 point buy" method was made up and used precisely
                            > because the other methods were not OGL.

                            That would makes sense indeed.

                            Stefan
                          • rogerwllco
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
                              I think those aren't OGL, they're not in the SRD as far as I know.

                              I always assumed what was said earlier, that the "standard method" that PCGen used is made up because the published methods aren't OGL.

                              The CMP datasets did come with the DMG methods, but not the srd35 datasets.

                              Cheers,

                              Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco

                              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Radermacher wrote:

                              > Am 04.01.13 23:24, schrieb Stefan Radermacher:
                              > > Am 04.01.13 22:56, schrieb David R. Bender:
                              > >> No, 80 point has been a "standard" point buy for 3.5 for a long time.
                              > >
                              > > Really? I remember 35 points being the default point build for 3.5.
                              >
                              > Actuall I just checked my 3.5 DMG (page 169), and these are the point
                              > buy values listed:
                              >
                              > Low-powered campaign 15 points
                              > Challenging campaign 22 points
                              > Tougher campaign 28 points
                              > High-powered campaign 32 points
                              >
                              > The 3.0 DMG has the same values (page 19). No 80 points anywhere. Weird.
                              >
                              > Stefan.

                            • Paul
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 5, 2013
                                Yes the 80 point build was put in to be d20 compliant. Then when we dropped the d20 license the values were never added back in for 3e & 35e. Pathfinder has the values published.