Re: [pcgen] summon monster stats

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 29, 2012
      Hi Michael,

      On 30/12/2012 4:42 PM Michael wrote
      > I'm using PCGen to run my PF Bard(lvl3). I'm using summon monster a lot, what's the best way to enter the stats for creatures I can summon with that spell in the program, so I don't have to keep looking them up each time I cast the spell?

      One approach would be to load the "Pathfinder RPG for Game Masters
      (includes Monsters)" set and then create each summoned monster as a
      character. If you have multiple open at the same time (e.g. saved as a
      party) you can export them using a party sheet to have quick stats for
      the set, or you can use individual sheets for each.

      Cheers,
      James.
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 29, 2012
        Hi,

        Geez, Yahoo is hating me today, I still don't see the original message I approved :(

        James's solution is an excellent one but I'll add a couple more for your consideration.

        Another couple of solutions:
        1) Put the stat blocks in the character Bio or Description field, an excellent place to locate the
        critters
        2) Make a cheat sheet (One of my players did this for their summons, included everything they could
        summon)

        On 12/29/2012 10:19 PM, James Dempsey wrote:
        > Hi Michael,
        >
        > On 30/12/2012 4:42 PM Michael wrote
        >> I'm using PCGen to run my PF Bard(lvl3). I'm using summon monster a lot, what's the best way to enter the stats for creatures I can summon with that spell in the program, so I don't have to keep looking them up each time I cast the spell?
        > One approach would be to load the "Pathfinder RPG for Game Masters
        > (includes Monsters)" set and then create each summoned monster as a
        > character. If you have multiple open at the same time (e.g. saved as a
        > party) you can export them using a party sheet to have quick stats for
        > the set, or you can use individual sheets for each.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > James.

      • Allen Cohn
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 30, 2012
          Some of those cheat sheets are already floating around the net if you
          search. I found one at one point.

          Happy summoning,
          Allen
        • David R. Bender
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 30, 2012
            For one place, look here:
            http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/summon-monster

            -- david
            Papa.DRB

            My better half and me (jpg)

            On 12/30/2012 10:04 AM, Allen Cohn wrote:
            > Some of those cheat sheets are already floating around the net if you
            > search. I found one at one point.
            >
            > Happy summoning,
            > Allen

          • David R. Bender
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 30, 2012
              Also, look in this thread at Paizo for links to Google docs containing
              Augmented andnon-Augmented lists for both SM & SNA,

              http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2laeq?Summon-MonsterAlly-Augmented-New-Updated

              -- david
              Papa.DRB

              My better half and me (jpg)

              On 12/30/2012 7:05 PM, David R. Bender wrote:
              > For one place, look here:
              > http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/summon-monster
              >
              > -- david
              > Papa.DRB
              >
              > My better half and me (jpg)

              > On 12/30/2012 10:04 AM, Allen Cohn wrote:
              >> Some of those cheat sheets are already floating around the net if you
              >> search. I found one at one point.
              >>
              >> Happy summoning,
              >> Allen

              >> PCGen List File Help:
              >>
              >> PCGen Experimental:
              >> Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Michael
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 2, 2013
                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <dracoprimus@...> wrote:

                > I'm using PCGen to run my PF Bard(lvl3). I'm using summon monster a lot, what's the best way to enter the stats for creatures I can summon with that spell in the program, so I don't have to keep looking them up each time I cast the spell?

                In case others are in a similar situation of using summoned monsters, I've decided to write up the summoned monsters as companions for the main character. This way, it easily comes into GMGen so I can track HP, and the table allows you to use digital rollers for dice, GMGen can roll for attacks.
              • Paul
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 2, 2013
                  The easiest way to I imagine would be to make kits for each summoned monster

                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <dracoprimus@...> wrote:

                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <dracoprimus@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I'm using PCGen to run my PF Bard(lvl3). I'm using summon monster a lot, what's the best way to enter the stats for creatures I can summon with that spell in the program, so I don't have to keep looking them up each time I cast the spell?
                  > >
                  > In case others are in a similar situation of using summoned monsters, I've decided to write up the summoned monsters as companions for the main character. This way, it easily comes into GMGen so I can track HP, and the table allows you to use digital rollers for dice, GMGen can roll for attacks.

                • Susan Dittmar
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 3, 2013
                    Paul schrieb:
                    > The easiest way to I imagine would be to make kits for each summoned monster

                    Are those summoned monsters different from the standard critters for
                    pathfinder? For (R)SRD they aren't, and I just used the default monster
                    kits to create the summoned monsters. OK, I had to add the fiendish or
                    celestial templates where appropriate, and a self-made template for
                    augment summoning feat. But that's quite fast doing. I doubt any other
                    pre-generation would be much faster to use, once you know what needs to
                    be done.

                    Susan
                  • Paul
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 3, 2013
                      Actually I just thought of a quick way. (besides putting everything in notes on the bio section).

                      Put Summoned (or something) as a TYPE for each monster and then you can quick filter for the Summoned type.

                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar wrote:

                      > Paul schrieb:
                      > > The easiest way to I imagine would be to make kits for each summoned monster
                      >
                      > Are those summoned monsters different from the standard critters for
                      > pathfinder? For (R)SRD they aren't, and I just used the default monster
                      > kits to create the summoned monsters. OK, I had to add the fiendish or
                      > celestial templates where appropriate, and a self-made template for
                      > augment summoning feat. But that's quite fast doing. I doubt any other
                      > pre-generation would be much faster to use, once you know what needs to
                      > be done.
                      >
                      > Susan

                    • FerretDave
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 3, 2013
                        Could we add that URL into the spell detail (display desc only?) so it's showed up in the GUI when viewing the spell? Saves everyone on this list bookmarking it separately...