Re: How do I load other Pathfinder source books onto PCGen?

  • FerretDave
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 29, 2012
      Greetings,

      What I do, is create my own 'Campaign data set' (.pcc file) that contains all the sources that I use for my campaign, I actually have several of these - one for each of the distinct campaigns currently in progress (each using a slightly different set of sources).

      My players then merely have to load in *one* source. They don't have to worry about any of the underlying detail then, I understand PCGEN so I sort out the complex bits, they are just 'users' and use the config I give them...

      Cheers

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Wilson <andrew@...> wrote:

      > On 20 December 2012 01:28, FerretDave <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Greetings,
      > > Is it worth just considering *NOT* unloading characters when new sources
      > > are *added*?
      > >
      > > Having that as a default action (and save the newly loaded sources in with
      > > pre-existing
      >
      > characters) seems to be more of what most people intend...
      > >
      > > Of course, if they *remove* any sources then this is not appropriate!
      > >

      > So, what do you do instead? How do you get rid of a source once
      > you've had it and a character open together?
      >
      > I was surprised and annoyed when the program closed a character
      > when I was trying to add a source. Some people don't come to a
      > mailing list looking for how to fix their problem. They just decide
      > we're too arcane for words and move on.
      >
      > I'm already fighting a loosing battle to get my group to use PCGen.
      > They like the output, but find the program hard to use, they're actually
      > paying for Herolabs :-(
      >
      > The fewer things that frustrate/annoy the users the better.
      >
      > I really think our "simple" loading screen and the "load sources with
      > character" are a retrograde step. They make the program harder to
      > use. And we now get lots of questions about where all the data is,
      > because the "simple" loader is hiding its existence.
      >
      > andrew

    • David R. Bender
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 29, 2012
        That is *exactly*what I do also. Here are the first few.pcc file lines
        from my Shattered Star campaign file.

        CAMPAIGN:Campaign - Shattered Star
        GAMEMODE:Pathfinder
        RANK:6
        TYPE:*Campaign files (Only load *one* from here)
        #
        # Core
        PCC:@\d20ogl\paizo\pathfinder_rpg\core_rulebook\core_rulebook.pcc
        #etc, usually the APG, Bestiary, Players Guide, + some very minor
        personal stuff.

        It shows up on the Advanced Tab as "*Campaign files (Only load *one*
        from here)" and under that the three current campaigns by name.

        -- david
        Papa.DRB

        My better half and me (jpg)

        On 12/29/2012 8:56 AM, FerretDave wrote:
        > Greetings,
        >
        > What I do, is create my own 'Campaign data set' (.pcc file) that contains all the sources that I use for my campaign, I actually have several of these - one for each of the distinct campaigns currently in progress (each using a slightly different set of sources).
        >
        > My players then merely have to load in *one* source. They don't have to worry about any of the underlying detail then, I understand PCGEN so I sort out the complex bits, they are just 'users' and use the config I give them...
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Wilson <andrew@...> wrote:
        >> On 20 December 2012 01:28, FerretDave <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:
        >>
        >>> Greetings,
        >>> Is it worth just considering *NOT* unloading characters when new sources
        >>> are *added*?
        >>>
        >>> Having that as a default action (and save the newly loaded sources in with
        >>> pre-existing
        >> characters) seems to be more of what most people intend...
        >>> Of course, if they *remove* any sources then this is not appropriate!
        >>>
        >> So, what do you do instead? How do you get rid of a source once
        >> you've had it and a character open together?
        >>
        >> I was surprised and annoyed when the program closed a character
        >> when I was trying to add a source. Some people don't come to a
        >> mailing list looking for how to fix their problem. They just decide
        >> we're too arcane for words and move on.
        >>
        >> I'm already fighting a loosing battle to get my group to use PCGen.
        >> They like the output, but find the program hard to use, they're actually
        >> paying for Herolabs :-(
        >>
        >> The fewer things that frustrate/annoy the users the better.
        >>
        >> I really think our "simple" loading screen and the "load sources with
        >> character" are a retrograde step. They make the program harder to
        >> use. And we now get lots of questions about where all the data is,
        >> because the "simple" loader is hiding its existence.
        >>
        >> andrew
      • Eric C Smith
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 29, 2012
          Yep, thats what I do for my players.