Re: [pcgen] [BUG] PFAPG Basic Traits Prereqs Wrong

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 20, 2012

      MULT:NO is a default value for all Abilities. The only way you can take any feat or ability more
      than once is with a CHOOSE. If this isn't the case then we have a Code Bug.

      On 12/20/2012 10:05 AM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:
      > On 20.12.2012 18:28, Eric C Smith wrote:
      >> Additionally, I noted that the current coding allows the Adopted
      >> trait to be taken twice with the result that the character ends up
      >> with the ability to select two traits for each adoptive race.
      > OK I can confirm this. This should be solved differently. There should
      > be a way to restrict how often it can be taken. MULT:NO works, but is
      > not ideal.
      >
      > Stefan

    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 20, 2012
        Hi Folks!

        I've narrowed it down to just the Adopted trait as the problem. When it is selected all of the other Social Traits go red. The problem is a .MOD that is in place for the Adopted trait that includes MULT:YES.

        Does anyone know of any errata that allows the Adopted trait to be taken multiple times?

        This still doesn't address the ability pool for the adoptive parents racial traits being doubled.

        Maredudd

        On Dec 20, 2012, at 1:30 PM, Maredudd wrote:

        > Hi Stefan!
        >
        > Sent from my iPad
        >
        > Stefan wrote:
        >
        > > Eric wrote:
        > > > The current APG Traits setup allows the character to take more than
        > > > on type of basic trait, e.g. Combat, Social, Magic, and Faith. Per
        > > > the APG, a character is limited to only one of each type, up to a max
        > > > of two total unless the GM allows more, or less total.
        > >
        > > I cannot confirm this. I just created a new character with only Core
        > > Rulebook and APG loaded. Then I take a combat trait (e.g. Bullied). All
        > > other combat traits are then marked as red in the left pane.
        > >

        > What version of PCGen? I'm using 6.0.0. I'm out running errands right now but will zero in on exactly where my problem is when I get home.
        >

        > > > Each trait is coded with a PREMULT checking for the trait itself OR
        > > > the absence of a trait of that type as follows:
        > >
        > > This is done so that the trait is not immediately marked as unqualified
        > > for once it's taken.
        > >
        > > > To meet the listed restriction, in the APG, it should read simply:
        > > > !PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,TYPE.SocialTrait
        > >
        > > This result in every trait being listed in red in the right hand pane,
        > > i.e. lists as if the character does not qualify. Ideally PCGen should
        > > disregard abilities that the character does not qualify for (such as
        > > that a character cannot use his Power Attack feat if his Strength is
        > > drained to less than 13). Furthermore abilities in red on the right hand
        > > side confuse users.
        > >
        > > > Additionally, I noted that the current coding allows the Adopted
        > > > trait to be taken twice with the result that the character ends up
        > > > with the ability to select two traits for each adoptive race.
        > >
        > > I'll have to check up on that.
        > >
        > > Regards
        > > Stefan

      • Eric C Smith
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 20, 2012
          Nope. Not the problem . . .

          Maredudd

          On Dec 20, 2012, at 5:02 PM, Eric C Smith wrote:

          > Hi Folks!
          >
          > I've narrowed it down to just the Adopted trait as the problem. When it is selected all of the other Social Traits go red. The problem is a .MOD that is in place for the Adopted trait that includes MULT:YES.
          >
          > Does anyone know of any errata that allows the Adopted trait to be taken multiple times?
          >
          > This still doesn't address the ability pool for the adoptive parents racial traits being doubled.
          >
          > Maredudd
          >
          > On Dec 20, 2012, at 1:30 PM, Maredudd wrote:
          >
          >> Hi Stefan!
          >>
          >> Sent from my iPad
          >>
          >> Stefan wrote:

          >>> I cannot confirm this. I just created a new character with only Core
          >>> Rulebook and APG loaded. Then I take a combat trait (e.g. Bullied). All
          >>> other combat traits are then marked as red in the left pane.
          >>>

          >> What version of PCGen? I'm using 6.0.0. I'm out running errands right now but will zero in on exactly where my problem is when I get home.

          >>> This is done so that the trait is not immediately marked as unqualified
          >>> for once it's taken.

          >>> This result in every trait being listed in red in the right hand pane,
          >>> i.e. lists as if the character does not qualify. Ideally PCGen should
          >>> disregard abilities that the character does not qualify for (such as
          >>> that a character cannot use his Power Attack feat if his Strength is
          >>> drained to less than 13). Furthermore abilities in red on the right hand
          >>> side confuse users.

          >>> I'll have to check up on that.
          >>>
          >>> Regards
          >>> Stefan

        • Eric C Smith
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 20, 2012
            Hi Folks!

            I've got a new problem with the Adopted trait.

            Looking through the Paizo forums, and admittedly going back 4 years but the story has been consistent since then, the Adopted trait does NOT grant a racial trait from the adoptive parents racial traits as defined by the race's descriptive section in the PFCR. It rather grants access to the available Traits categorized as Race Traits in the APG and Companion books.

            First reference in the Paizo Forums I ran across was in Oct of 2008 with a responce from F Wesley Schnieder:
            http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2iuvv?Adopted#1

            And the latest appearance in Feb 2012:
            http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2l7ns&page=314?Ask-James-Jacobs-ALL-your-Questions-Here#15700

            The Adopted basic trait needs to be changed to provide a list of Race Traits, as oppose to racial traits, for the adoptive parents.

            Maredudd
          • Stefan Radermacher
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 20, 2012
              Yes, bonusing the racial trait ability pools is definitely wrong. The
              Adpoted traits gives out a race trait from the trait rules. A racial
              trait is something completely different and has nothing to do at all
              with the trait rules. This is a somewhat unfortunate and confusing
              nomenclature.

              Stefan.

              On 20.12.2012 23:49, Eric C Smith wrote:
              > Hi Folks!
              >
              > I've got a new problem with the Adopted trait.
              >
              > Looking through the Paizo forums, and admittedly going back 4 years
              > but the story has been consistent since then, the Adopted trait does
              > NOT grant a racial trait from the adoptive parents racial traits as
              > defined by the race's descriptive section in the PFCR. It rather
              > grants access to the available Traits categorized as Race Traits in
              > the APG and Companion books.
              >
              > First reference in the Paizo Forums I ran across was in Oct of 2008
              > with a responce from F Wesley Schnieder:
              > http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2iuvv?Adopted#1
              >
              > And the latest appearance in Feb 2012:
              > http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2l7ns&page=314?Ask-James-Jacobs-ALL-your-Questions-Here#15700
              >
              > The Adopted basic trait needs to be changed to provide a list of
              > Race Traits, as oppose to racial traits, for the adoptive parents.
              >
              > Maredudd

              > PCGen List File Help:
              > in creating new homebrew or official list files)
              >
              > PCGen Experimental:
              > official data source development) Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Eric C Smith
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 20, 2012
                Thanks for the confirmation.

                JIRA opened: http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/DATA-817

                I'll upload a fix for the APG. Then we can tackle the other sources with Race traits.

                Maredudd