Re: How do I load other Pathfinder source books onto PCGen?

  • FerretDave
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 19, 2012
      Greetings,
      Is it worth just considering *NOT* unloading characters when new sources are *added*?

      Having that as a default action (and save the newly loaded sources in with pre-existing characters) seems to be more of what most people intend...

      Of course, if they *remove* any sources then this is not appropriate!

      Cheers

      > Hi Jeff,
      >
      > We've documented that process at
      > http://wiki.pcgen.org/FAQ_and_Help#Changing_a_Character.27s_Sources and
      > in a future release we will make this a specific action available via
      > the UI.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > James.
      >
      > On 19/12/2012 6:41 AM murdoctor@... wrote
      > > Thanks, Doug.
      > >
      > > One more question: Can you add a new source for an existing character, rather than having to start over from scratch and fill everything in again? If I try to load a new source with a character loaded, it unloads the character; when I reload that character, it goes back to the sources that were loaded when the character was created.
      > >

      > > Jeff

    • Andrew Wilson
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 19, 2012
        On 20 December 2012 01:28, FerretDave <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        > Is it worth just considering *NOT* unloading characters when new sources
        > are *added*?
        >
        > Having that as a default action (and save the newly loaded sources in with
        > pre-existing

        characters) seems to be more of what most people intend...

        > Of course, if they *remove* any sources then this is not appropriate!

        So, what do you do instead? How do you get rid of a source once
        you've had it and a character open together?

        I was surprised and annoyed when the program closed a character
        when I was trying to add a source. Some people don't come to a
        mailing list looking for how to fix their problem. They just decide
        we're too arcane for words and move on.

        I'm already fighting a loosing battle to get my group to use PCGen.
        They like the output, but find the program hard to use, they're actually
        paying for Herolabs :-(

        The fewer things that frustrate/annoy the users the better.

        I really think our "simple" loading screen and the "load sources with
        character" are a retrograde step. They make the program harder to
        use. And we now get lots of questions about where all the data is,
        because the "simple" loader is hiding its existence.

        andrew

      • FerretDave
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 29, 2012
          Greetings,

          What I do, is create my own 'Campaign data set' (.pcc file) that contains all the sources that I use for my campaign, I actually have several of these - one for each of the distinct campaigns currently in progress (each using a slightly different set of sources).

          My players then merely have to load in *one* source. They don't have to worry about any of the underlying detail then, I understand PCGEN so I sort out the complex bits, they are just 'users' and use the config I give them...

          Cheers

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Wilson <andrew@...> wrote:

          > On 20 December 2012 01:28, FerretDave <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Greetings,
          > > Is it worth just considering *NOT* unloading characters when new sources
          > > are *added*?
          > >
          > > Having that as a default action (and save the newly loaded sources in with
          > > pre-existing
          >
          > characters) seems to be more of what most people intend...
          > >
          > > Of course, if they *remove* any sources then this is not appropriate!
          > >

          > So, what do you do instead? How do you get rid of a source once
          > you've had it and a character open together?
          >
          > I was surprised and annoyed when the program closed a character
          > when I was trying to add a source. Some people don't come to a
          > mailing list looking for how to fix their problem. They just decide
          > we're too arcane for words and move on.
          >
          > I'm already fighting a loosing battle to get my group to use PCGen.
          > They like the output, but find the program hard to use, they're actually
          > paying for Herolabs :-(
          >
          > The fewer things that frustrate/annoy the users the better.
          >
          > I really think our "simple" loading screen and the "load sources with
          > character" are a retrograde step. They make the program harder to
          > use. And we now get lots of questions about where all the data is,
          > because the "simple" loader is hiding its existence.
          >
          > andrew

        • David R. Bender
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 29, 2012
            That is *exactly*what I do also. Here are the first few.pcc file lines
            from my Shattered Star campaign file.

            CAMPAIGN:Campaign - Shattered Star
            GAMEMODE:Pathfinder
            RANK:6
            TYPE:*Campaign files (Only load *one* from here)
            #
            # Core
            PCC:@\d20ogl\paizo\pathfinder_rpg\core_rulebook\core_rulebook.pcc
            #etc, usually the APG, Bestiary, Players Guide, + some very minor
            personal stuff.

            It shows up on the Advanced Tab as "*Campaign files (Only load *one*
            from here)" and under that the three current campaigns by name.

            -- david
            Papa.DRB

            My better half and me (jpg)

            On 12/29/2012 8:56 AM, FerretDave wrote:
            > Greetings,
            >
            > What I do, is create my own 'Campaign data set' (.pcc file) that contains all the sources that I use for my campaign, I actually have several of these - one for each of the distinct campaigns currently in progress (each using a slightly different set of sources).
            >
            > My players then merely have to load in *one* source. They don't have to worry about any of the underlying detail then, I understand PCGEN so I sort out the complex bits, they are just 'users' and use the config I give them...
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Wilson <andrew@...> wrote:
            >> On 20 December 2012 01:28, FerretDave <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:
            >>
            >>> Greetings,
            >>> Is it worth just considering *NOT* unloading characters when new sources
            >>> are *added*?
            >>>
            >>> Having that as a default action (and save the newly loaded sources in with
            >>> pre-existing
            >> characters) seems to be more of what most people intend...
            >>> Of course, if they *remove* any sources then this is not appropriate!
            >>>
            >> So, what do you do instead? How do you get rid of a source once
            >> you've had it and a character open together?
            >>
            >> I was surprised and annoyed when the program closed a character
            >> when I was trying to add a source. Some people don't come to a
            >> mailing list looking for how to fix their problem. They just decide
            >> we're too arcane for words and move on.
            >>
            >> I'm already fighting a loosing battle to get my group to use PCGen.
            >> They like the output, but find the program hard to use, they're actually
            >> paying for Herolabs :-(
            >>
            >> The fewer things that frustrate/annoy the users the better.
            >>
            >> I really think our "simple" loading screen and the "load sources with
            >> character" are a retrograde step. They make the program harder to
            >> use. And we now get lots of questions about where all the data is,
            >> because the "simple" loader is hiding its existence.
            >>
            >> andrew
          • Eric C Smith
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 29, 2012
              Yep, thats what I do for my players.