Re: [pcgen] [Pathfinder] UM Qinggong Monk archtype

  • Doug Limmer
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012
      If someone finds a better way to handle it, I'd be happy to hear about it.

      Sorry if I sound defensive about it, but back when I was working on UM I
      felt like I barely knew what I was doing, and wasn't getting a lot of
      assistance. For someone to come along now and say, "You did it wrong,"
      can touch a sore spot.

      But now that I think I know what I'm doing, I'm *really* dangerous.

      DS/DL

      On 12/13/2012 7:20 PM, Andrew wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Correction, it's set up as best it can be. But it's not set up the
      > same as any other archetype, but
      > does work. Not pretty though
      >
      > On 12/13/2012 4:07 PM, Andrew wrote:
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I looked, and it appears it's the black sheep of the group. Though
      > it breaks our existing
      > > conventions and won't technically work with the other archetypes.
      > >

      > > On 12/13/2012 2:58 PM, Doug Limmer wrote:
      > >> I'm not sure what your alternative would be; that the archetype is
      > taken
      > >> once, and then every time the character gains an ability that the
      > >> archetype might affect, the user is asked if that ability is to be
      > >> swapped out?
      > >>
      > >> That would make it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to mesh
      > with
      > >> other archetypes.
      > >>
      > >> Are you of the opinion that the qinggong archetype automatically swaps
      > >> out all the abilities? Lots of GMs disagree with this interpretation.
      > >>
      > >> Or did you have something else in mind?
      > >>
      > >> DS/DL

      > setup

      > it be
      > levels

      > >> PCGen List File Help:
      > >>
      > >> PCGen Experimental:
      > >> Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >>

      > --
      > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
      > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
      > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

    • Maredudd
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012
        Hi folks!

        Welcome to the club Doug! :-)

        I still have a tendency to over code sets and end up redoing them to clean them up, and often after Andrew points out where my engineer-brain went overboard. :-)

        Maredudd

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012

          If it works, then I'm not going to mess with it. There is a "better" way, but I've got enough things
          to handle and deal with without worrying about another non-issue. When I go to review it for full
          inclusion, I might clean it up or offer the solution.

          Make a base Archetype - at the designated levels, toss up the Bonus Pool - force the user to choose
          something as a reminder - No Ki Pool for Level x choice, and the other choices... if the other
          choices are taken, add a hidden Archetype in the background to remove the base ability as per
          normal. That method would make it a single archetype for the user, and then lets then know when they
          have a choice.

          There you go. That should make everyone happy.