[Pathfinder] UM Qinggong Monk archtype

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012
      While I know that UM is still in Alpha I'm not sure that this is setup the way that is friendly to the user.

      Each level selection is setup as a different archtype. Shouldn't it be a base archtype that triggers the individual archtype when that levels option for that archtype is selected?

      Also am I missing it, but I don't see anywhere on the character sheet that the DC for a monk's Stunning Fist DC is calculated. Using thestd char cheet
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012

        Open a JIRA for it and I'll take a look when I'm awake... or more awake then I am now.

        On 12/13/2012 6:15 AM, Paul wrote:
        > While I know that UM is still in Alpha I'm not sure that this is setup the way that is friendly to the user.
        >
        > Each level selection is setup as a different archtype. Shouldn't it be a base archtype that triggers the individual archtype when that levels option for that archtype is selected?
        >
        > Also am I missing it, but I don't see anywhere on the character sheet that the DC for a monk's Stunning Fist DC is calculated. Using thestd char cheet

      • Doug Limmer
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012
          I'm not sure what your alternative would be; that the archetype is taken
          once, and then every time the character gains an ability that the
          archetype might affect, the user is asked if that ability is to be
          swapped out?

          That would make it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to mesh with
          other archetypes.

          Are you of the opinion that the qinggong archetype automatically swaps
          out all the abilities? Lots of GMs disagree with this interpretation.

          Or did you have something else in mind?

          DS/DL

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012

            I looked, and it appears it's the black sheep of the group. Though it breaks our existing
            conventions and won't technically work with the other archetypes.

            On 12/13/2012 2:58 PM, Doug Limmer wrote:
            > I'm not sure what your alternative would be; that the archetype is taken
            > once, and then every time the character gains an ability that the
            > archetype might affect, the user is asked if that ability is to be
            > swapped out?
            >
            > That would make it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to mesh with
            > other archetypes.
            >
            > Are you of the opinion that the qinggong archetype automatically swaps
            > out all the abilities? Lots of GMs disagree with this interpretation.
            >
            > Or did you have something else in mind?
            >
            > DS/DL
            >
            > On 12/13/2012 9:15 AM, Paul wrote:
            >> While I know that UM is still in Alpha I'm not sure that this is setup
            >> the way that is friendly to the user.
            >>
            >> Each level selection is setup as a different archtype. Shouldn't it be
            >> a base archtype that triggers the individual archtype when that levels
            >> option for that archtype is selected?
            >>
            >> Also am I missing it, but I don't see anywhere on the character sheet
            >> that the DC for a monk's Stunning Fist DC is calculated. Using thestd
            >> char cheet

          • Doug Limmer
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012
              What do you mean by "won't work with the other archetypes"? That's not
              a common interpretation of the rules.

              (The PCGen object works with other archetypes; at least, it did when I
              wrote it.)

              DS/DL

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012

                Correction, it's set up as best it can be. But it's not set up the same as any other archetype, but
                does work. Not pretty though

                On 12/13/2012 4:07 PM, Andrew wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                > I looked, and it appears it's the black sheep of the group. Though it breaks our existing
                > conventions and won't technically work with the other archetypes.
                >

                > On 12/13/2012 2:58 PM, Doug Limmer wrote:
                >> I'm not sure what your alternative would be; that the archetype is taken
                >> once, and then every time the character gains an ability that the
                >> archetype might affect, the user is asked if that ability is to be
                >> swapped out?
                >>
                >> That would make it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to mesh with
                >> other archetypes.
                >>
                >> Are you of the opinion that the qinggong archetype automatically swaps
                >> out all the abilities? Lots of GMs disagree with this interpretation.
                >>
                >> Or did you have something else in mind?
                >>
                >> DS/DL
                >>
                >> On 12/13/2012 9:15 AM, Paul wrote:
                >>> While I know that UM is still in Alpha I'm not sure that this is setup
                >>> the way that is friendly to the user.
                >>>
                >>> Each level selection is setup as a different archtype. Shouldn't it be
                >>> a base archtype that triggers the individual archtype when that levels
                >>> option for that archtype is selected?
                >>>
                >>> Also am I missing it, but I don't see anywhere on the character sheet
                >>> that the DC for a monk's Stunning Fist DC is calculated. Using thestd
                >>> char cheet

                >> Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Doug Limmer
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012
                  If someone finds a better way to handle it, I'd be happy to hear about it.

                  Sorry if I sound defensive about it, but back when I was working on UM I
                  felt like I barely knew what I was doing, and wasn't getting a lot of
                  assistance. For someone to come along now and say, "You did it wrong,"
                  can touch a sore spot.

                  But now that I think I know what I'm doing, I'm *really* dangerous.

                  DS/DL

                  On 12/13/2012 7:20 PM, Andrew wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > Correction, it's set up as best it can be. But it's not set up the
                  > same as any other archetype, but
                  > does work. Not pretty though
                  >
                  > On 12/13/2012 4:07 PM, Andrew wrote:
                  > > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > I looked, and it appears it's the black sheep of the group. Though
                  > it breaks our existing
                  > > conventions and won't technically work with the other archetypes.
                  > >

                  > > On 12/13/2012 2:58 PM, Doug Limmer wrote:
                  > >> I'm not sure what your alternative would be; that the archetype is
                  > taken
                  > >> once, and then every time the character gains an ability that the
                  > >> archetype might affect, the user is asked if that ability is to be
                  > >> swapped out?
                  > >>
                  > >> That would make it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to mesh
                  > with
                  > >> other archetypes.
                  > >>
                  > >> Are you of the opinion that the qinggong archetype automatically swaps
                  > >> out all the abilities? Lots of GMs disagree with this interpretation.
                  > >>
                  > >> Or did you have something else in mind?
                  > >>
                  > >> DS/DL

                  > setup

                  > it be
                  > levels

                  > >> PCGen List File Help:
                  > >>
                  > >> PCGen Experimental:
                  > >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                  > >>

                  > --
                  > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                  > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
                  > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

                • Maredudd
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012
                    Hi folks!

                    Welcome to the club Doug! :-)

                    I still have a tendency to over code sets and end up redoing them to clean them up, and often after Andrew points out where my engineer-brain went overboard. :-)

                    Maredudd

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012

                      If it works, then I'm not going to mess with it. There is a "better" way, but I've got enough things
                      to handle and deal with without worrying about another non-issue. When I go to review it for full
                      inclusion, I might clean it up or offer the solution.

                      Make a base Archetype - at the designated levels, toss up the Bonus Pool - force the user to choose
                      something as a reminder - No Ki Pool for Level x choice, and the other choices... if the other
                      choices are taken, add a hidden Archetype in the background to remove the base ability as per
                      normal. That method would make it a single archetype for the user, and then lets then know when they
                      have a choice.

                      There you go. That should make everyone happy.