Re: How do I load other Pathfinder source books onto PCGen?

  • murdoctor
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 9, 2012
      How about Psionics Unleashed? The release notes say it is included, but I don't see the Psionic classes in the selection list.

      Jeff

      > APG is there, UC & UM are there but very alpha. ARG is not available yet.
      >
      > To access them, use the "advanced" data set loader, not basic.
      >
      > -- david
      > Papa.DRB
      >
      > My better half and me (jpg)

      > On 12/7/2012 8:48 PM, draelvik wrote:
      > > I'd like to make more use of PCGen now that it's seen improvement, but I need it to be able to access the UC, UM, and other such books. APG and ARG would be nice too. Is there any way to get them onto the PCGen database?

    • Doug Limmer
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 9, 2012
        The same idea: it's in the advanced loader. It's under Dreamscarred
        Press, since they're the publisher.

        DS/DL

        On 12/9/2012 1:26 PM, murdoctor wrote:

        > How about Psionics Unleashed? The release notes say it is included,
        > but I don't see the Psionic classes in the selection list.
        >
        > Jeff
        >
        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>, "David
        > R. Bender" <Papa.DRB@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > APG is there, UC & UM are there but very alpha. ARG is not available
        > yet.
        > >
        > > To access them, use the "advanced" data set loader, not basic.
        > >
        > > -- david
        > > Papa.DRB
        > >
        > > My better half and me (jpg)

        > > Love Me If You Can by Toby Keith (video)
        > > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhcfFekSbHQ&ob=av3e>

        > > For those who believe, no proof is necessary, for those who don't
        > > believe, no proof is possible. (Stuart Chase 1888-1985)
        > > On 12/7/2012 8:48 PM, draelvik wrote:
        > > > I'd like to make more use of PCGen now that it's seen improvement,
        > but I need it to be able to access the UC, UM, and other such books.
        > APG and ARG would be nice too. Is there any way to get them onto the
        > PCGen database?

      • FerretDave
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 10, 2012
          Do we want to change Tip #1 to 'how to load Pathfinder sources' as this question is coming up a lot ?
          :-)

          Cheers

        • murdoctor@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 18, 2012
            Thanks, Doug.

            One more question: Can you add a new source for an existing character, rather than having to start over from scratch and fill everything in again? If I try to load a new source with a character loaded, it unloads the character; when I reload that character, it goes back to the sources that were loaded when the character was created.

            Jeff

            The same idea: it's in the advanced loader. It's under Dreamscarred Press, since they're the publisher.

            DS/DL

            On 12/9/2012 1:26 PM, murdoctor wrote:

            How about Psionics Unleashed? The release notes say it is included, but I don't see the Psionic classes in the selection list.

            Jeff

            > APG is there, UC & UM are there but very alpha. ARG is not available yet.
            >
            > To access them, use the "advanced" data set loader, not basic.
            >
            > -- david
            > Papa.DRB
            >
            > My better half and me (jpg)

            > On 12/7/2012 8:48 PM, draelvik wrote:
            > > I'd like to make more use of PCGen now that it's seen improvement, but I need it to be able to access the UC, UM, and other such books. APG and ARG would be nice too. Is there any way to get them onto the PCGen database?

          • Lee Dowd
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 18, 2012
              Load the character.
              Unclick load sources with character.
              load the sources.
              click load sourses with character.
              Save character.

              At least that's how I remember doing it.
              Lee

              >________________________________

            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 18, 2012
                Hi Jeff,

                We've documented that process at
                http://wiki.pcgen.org/FAQ_and_Help#Changing_a_Character.27s_Sources and
                in a future release we will make this a specific action available via
                the UI.

                Cheers,
                James.

                On 19/12/2012 6:41 AM murdoctor@... wrote

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 18, 2012
                  A slight variation that I've found useful when updating a number of characters (typically for a campaign).
                  I load all the characters first.  This loads the existing sources.
                  Then unclick load sources with characters.
                  Then load the additional sources.
                  Reclick load sources with characters.
                  Save characters.

                  Lee

                  >________________________________

                • FerretDave
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 19, 2012
                    Greetings,
                    Is it worth just considering *NOT* unloading characters when new sources are *added*?

                    Having that as a default action (and save the newly loaded sources in with pre-existing characters) seems to be more of what most people intend...

                    Of course, if they *remove* any sources then this is not appropriate!

                    Cheers

                    > Hi Jeff,
                    >
                    > We've documented that process at
                    > http://wiki.pcgen.org/FAQ_and_Help#Changing_a_Character.27s_Sources and
                    > in a future release we will make this a specific action available via
                    > the UI.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > James.
                    >
                    > On 19/12/2012 6:41 AM murdoctor@... wrote
                    > > Thanks, Doug.
                    > >
                    > > One more question: Can you add a new source for an existing character, rather than having to start over from scratch and fill everything in again? If I try to load a new source with a character loaded, it unloads the character; when I reload that character, it goes back to the sources that were loaded when the character was created.
                    > >

                    > > Jeff

                  • Andrew Wilson
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 19, 2012
                      On 20 December 2012 01:28, FerretDave <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

                      > Greetings,
                      > Is it worth just considering *NOT* unloading characters when new sources
                      > are *added*?
                      >
                      > Having that as a default action (and save the newly loaded sources in with
                      > pre-existing

                      characters) seems to be more of what most people intend...

                      > Of course, if they *remove* any sources then this is not appropriate!

                      So, what do you do instead? How do you get rid of a source once
                      you've had it and a character open together?

                      I was surprised and annoyed when the program closed a character
                      when I was trying to add a source. Some people don't come to a
                      mailing list looking for how to fix their problem. They just decide
                      we're too arcane for words and move on.

                      I'm already fighting a loosing battle to get my group to use PCGen.
                      They like the output, but find the program hard to use, they're actually
                      paying for Herolabs :-(

                      The fewer things that frustrate/annoy the users the better.

                      I really think our "simple" loading screen and the "load sources with
                      character" are a retrograde step. They make the program harder to
                      use. And we now get lots of questions about where all the data is,
                      because the "simple" loader is hiding its existence.

                      andrew

                    • FerretDave
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 29, 2012
                        Greetings,

                        What I do, is create my own 'Campaign data set' (.pcc file) that contains all the sources that I use for my campaign, I actually have several of these - one for each of the distinct campaigns currently in progress (each using a slightly different set of sources).

                        My players then merely have to load in *one* source. They don't have to worry about any of the underlying detail then, I understand PCGEN so I sort out the complex bits, they are just 'users' and use the config I give them...

                        Cheers

                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Wilson <andrew@...> wrote:

                        > On 20 December 2012 01:28, FerretDave <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Greetings,
                        > > Is it worth just considering *NOT* unloading characters when new sources
                        > > are *added*?
                        > >
                        > > Having that as a default action (and save the newly loaded sources in with
                        > > pre-existing
                        >
                        > characters) seems to be more of what most people intend...
                        > >
                        > > Of course, if they *remove* any sources then this is not appropriate!
                        > >

                        > So, what do you do instead? How do you get rid of a source once
                        > you've had it and a character open together?
                        >
                        > I was surprised and annoyed when the program closed a character
                        > when I was trying to add a source. Some people don't come to a
                        > mailing list looking for how to fix their problem. They just decide
                        > we're too arcane for words and move on.
                        >
                        > I'm already fighting a loosing battle to get my group to use PCGen.
                        > They like the output, but find the program hard to use, they're actually
                        > paying for Herolabs :-(
                        >
                        > The fewer things that frustrate/annoy the users the better.
                        >
                        > I really think our "simple" loading screen and the "load sources with
                        > character" are a retrograde step. They make the program harder to
                        > use. And we now get lots of questions about where all the data is,
                        > because the "simple" loader is hiding its existence.
                        >
                        > andrew

                      • David R. Bender
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 29, 2012
                          That is *exactly*what I do also. Here are the first few.pcc file lines
                          from my Shattered Star campaign file.

                          CAMPAIGN:Campaign - Shattered Star
                          GAMEMODE:Pathfinder
                          RANK:6
                          TYPE:*Campaign files (Only load *one* from here)
                          #
                          # Core
                          PCC:@\d20ogl\paizo\pathfinder_rpg\core_rulebook\core_rulebook.pcc
                          #etc, usually the APG, Bestiary, Players Guide, + some very minor
                          personal stuff.

                          It shows up on the Advanced Tab as "*Campaign files (Only load *one*
                          from here)" and under that the three current campaigns by name.

                          -- david
                          Papa.DRB

                          My better half and me (jpg)

                          On 12/29/2012 8:56 AM, FerretDave wrote:
                          > Greetings,
                          >
                          > What I do, is create my own 'Campaign data set' (.pcc file) that contains all the sources that I use for my campaign, I actually have several of these - one for each of the distinct campaigns currently in progress (each using a slightly different set of sources).
                          >
                          > My players then merely have to load in *one* source. They don't have to worry about any of the underlying detail then, I understand PCGEN so I sort out the complex bits, they are just 'users' and use the config I give them...
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          >
                          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Wilson <andrew@...> wrote:
                          >> On 20 December 2012 01:28, FerretDave <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> Greetings,
                          >>> Is it worth just considering *NOT* unloading characters when new sources
                          >>> are *added*?
                          >>>
                          >>> Having that as a default action (and save the newly loaded sources in with
                          >>> pre-existing
                          >> characters) seems to be more of what most people intend...
                          >>> Of course, if they *remove* any sources then this is not appropriate!
                          >>>
                          >> So, what do you do instead? How do you get rid of a source once
                          >> you've had it and a character open together?
                          >>
                          >> I was surprised and annoyed when the program closed a character
                          >> when I was trying to add a source. Some people don't come to a
                          >> mailing list looking for how to fix their problem. They just decide
                          >> we're too arcane for words and move on.
                          >>
                          >> I'm already fighting a loosing battle to get my group to use PCGen.
                          >> They like the output, but find the program hard to use, they're actually
                          >> paying for Herolabs :-(
                          >>
                          >> The fewer things that frustrate/annoy the users the better.
                          >>
                          >> I really think our "simple" loading screen and the "load sources with
                          >> character" are a retrograde step. They make the program harder to
                          >> use. And we now get lots of questions about where all the data is,
                          >> because the "simple" loader is hiding its existence.
                          >>
                          >> andrew
                        • Eric C Smith
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 29, 2012
                            Yep, thats what I do for my players.