Re: [pcgen] Magus & Spell-Blending

    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012

      The main reason is AUTO tags and Bonus tags.

      CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY coupled with BONUS:WEAPONPROF=%LIST|TOHIT|1 or AUTO:WEAPONPROF|%LIST

      Spells don't have the proper AUTO and Bonus tags to be used the same way. You have SPELLLEVEL and
      SPELLKNOWN and those do NOT take '%LIST' without that it's an arduous process of coding each spell
      by hand. We need Code Support.

      I'll break it down further if you need later.... have a game tonight, and have the players showing
      up now.

    • Barak
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 8, 2012
        > So what's the point of the choose:spells tag if it doesn't do anything
        (and
        > choose:spelllevel for that matter)? Or am I missing some syntax to get it
        > to actually do something...???

        > Did some code get left undone for displaying back when this tag was
        > introduced maybe?

        Hey Rob!

        Actually, it is as designed. Push was made a while ago (couple/three years
        now?) to keep tag functions separate and get rid of the "magic" ones that
        were doing double duty. I don't recall the exact reasoning, I think it had
        to do with making the maintenance of the code easier as well as making it
        obvious what a tags scope was.

        CHOOSERs choose things and that's all they are supposed to do. Other tags
        (usually BONUS) implement things. This one never got the code work done
        necessary to implement it looks like.

        Barak
      • Rob
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 9, 2012
          Okay, this finally clicked in my brain (amazing what sleep can do!)... So
          getting and selecting a spell is not the issue;

          CHOOSE:SPELLS|CLASSLIST=Magus[KNOWN=NO]|SPELLTYPE=Magus[LEVELMAX=MAXCASTABLE
          ]

          Would give a list of all the magus spells not currently known that they can
          cast at their highest level for selection of a spell (Which does work, I
          just tested it)

          BUT not put it in their spells known list (which it does not from my
          test)... nor does it list it on the output sheet.

          On 12/8/2012 6:43 PM, Rob wrote:
          > I guess I'm missing something in the understanding here... why can't
          > we do a TYPE=Arcane rather than setting up for each spell? We can do
          > this with skills and feats - Weapon focus being a an example that
          > comes to mind... or an 'ability' example... ranger's favored X ability
          chain...

          > If we can set it up to choose and put it on/in the known spells, then
          > the user can put it in the spell book themselves...
          >
          > W. Robert Reed III
          > Mynex

          Admin Silverback - PCGen Board of Directors Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Rob
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 9, 2012
            Ah, okay... Well I tried. Figured I could display my ignorance of the new
            stuff for the whole world to see! XD

            And Chris *innocent smile* Just the monkey I was looking for... hit me
            offlist if you dare! ;)

            W. Robert Reed III
            Mynex