Re: [pcgen] Magus & Spell-Blending

  • Martijn Verburg
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
      It lives ;-)

      On 9 December 2012 08:07, Rob <mynex@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > What about setting up an ability chooser (chain them for levels) using
      > PRESPELLTYPE, BONUS:ABILITYPOOL, BONUS:SPELLKNOWN and Kits (SPELLS>blah<
      > COUNT>blah< and COST:0 (Not sure about the COST:0 bit though)) to assign
      > the
      > spells... ?
      >
      > Ability categories and abilities are used for weapon training... why not
      > attempt to adapt that to spells...
      >
      > It wouldn't be pretty, but you could avoid the listing of every spell by
      > doing it by types (Arcane, Divine) or even descriptors....
      >
      > Just a thought...
      >
      > (Oh, btw - Hi everyone :D)
      >
      > W. Robert Reed III
      > Mynex

    • Maredudd
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
        Hi Folks!

        Kar wrote:

        > It lives ;-)

        Took the words right out of my mouth! :-)

      • Maredudd
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
          Oh, hi Rob! :-)

          Sent from my iPad

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
            Hi Rob,

            Oh you can, but it's the cost vs. benefit. You're doing that for every spell. Hence my statement
            it's possible but not really worth the effort.

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012

              The question presented is Choosing a Spell, and Adding the spell to the Spellbook.

              We can easily do the first part with a simple choose. CHOOSE:SPELLS is quite versatile.
              It's the second part that can't be done easily (Well, actually we can't add anything to a spell book
              today, we can add it to your known list).

              You can easily set up pairings like this:

              ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Grant Magus Spell ~ Foo|PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special
              Ability,Chooser Ability(Foo)
              Now, you'll get the Grant Magus Spell ~ Foo if the chooser has selected spell Foo. Easy to do. Now,
              rinse and repeat for every spell. Labor intense and doesn't cover any additional source books that
              increase the Magus's spell list.

              I don't see an easy method for an automatic method to handle that today with any other set up. For
              today, you can mainly add the spell to the ability to note it. And then the user needs to manually
              add it themselves. (You can do a Bonus for a Known spell easily enough, if that's what you were
              alluding to before, doesn't cover what the OP wanted, but does allow the end user the additional
              spell in a legit manner).

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012

                The main reason is AUTO tags and Bonus tags.

                CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY coupled with BONUS:WEAPONPROF=%LIST|TOHIT|1 or AUTO:WEAPONPROF|%LIST

                Spells don't have the proper AUTO and Bonus tags to be used the same way. You have SPELLLEVEL and
                SPELLKNOWN and those do NOT take '%LIST' without that it's an arduous process of coding each spell
                by hand. We need Code Support.

                I'll break it down further if you need later.... have a game tonight, and have the players showing
                up now.

              • Barak
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 8, 2012
                  > So what's the point of the choose:spells tag if it doesn't do anything
                  (and
                  > choose:spelllevel for that matter)? Or am I missing some syntax to get it
                  > to actually do something...???

                  > Did some code get left undone for displaying back when this tag was
                  > introduced maybe?

                  Hey Rob!

                  Actually, it is as designed. Push was made a while ago (couple/three years
                  now?) to keep tag functions separate and get rid of the "magic" ones that
                  were doing double duty. I don't recall the exact reasoning, I think it had
                  to do with making the maintenance of the code easier as well as making it
                  obvious what a tags scope was.

                  CHOOSERs choose things and that's all they are supposed to do. Other tags
                  (usually BONUS) implement things. This one never got the code work done
                  necessary to implement it looks like.

                  Barak
                • Rob

                    On 12/7/2012 3:29 AM, Paul wrote:
                    > The Magus Arcana ability Spell-Blending lets you select a spell that you
                    don't currently know of our currently highest spell level and add it to your
                    spellbook. It appears that currently it's only a fluff ability and that you
                    have to add the spell manually. Do we have a way to indicate what spells
                    were selected and add them or is that not possible currently?

                    > PCGen's release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net PCGen's Mailing
                    > Lists and Links: http://wiki.pcgen.org/Mailing_Lists_and_PCGen_Links
                    >

                    > PCGen List File Help:
                    >
                    > PCGen Experimental:
                    > (for new official data source development) Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Admin Silverback - PCGen Board of Directors Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Rob

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 9, 2012
                          Okay, this finally clicked in my brain (amazing what sleep can do!)... So
                          getting and selecting a spell is not the issue;

                          CHOOSE:SPELLS|CLASSLIST=Magus[KNOWN=NO]|SPELLTYPE=Magus[LEVELMAX=MAXCASTABLE
                          ]

                          Would give a list of all the magus spells not currently known that they can
                          cast at their highest level for selection of a spell (Which does work, I
                          just tested it)

                          BUT not put it in their spells known list (which it does not from my
                          test)... nor does it list it on the output sheet.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 9, 2012
                            Ah, okay... Well I tried. Figured I could display my ignorance of the new
                            stuff for the whole world to see! XD

                            And Chris *innocent smile* Just the monkey I was looking for... hit me
                            offlist if you dare! ;)

                            W. Robert Reed III
                            Mynex