Magus & Spell-Blending

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
      The Magus Arcana ability Spell-Blending lets you select a spell that you don't currently know of our currently highest spell level and add it to your spellbook. It appears that currently it's only a fluff ability and that you have to add the spell manually. Do we have a way to indicate what spells were selected and add them or is that not possible currently?
    • adventure@mailworks.org
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
        There are lots of ways, in-game, to add a spell to a spell book. You
        can add a spell to a spell book by buying one, or scribing a scroll.
        This is just one more way to do so. We don't have specific methods to
        add a spell to a spell book for leveling up, or scribing a scroll, or
        purchasing one, so we don't have a method for this way, either.

        Or am I missing something about the ability?

        DS/DL

        On Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 06:29 AM, Paul wrote:

        The Magus Arcana ability Spell-Blending lets you select a spell that
        you don't currently know of our currently highest spell level and add
        it to your spellbook. It appears that currently it's only a fluff
        ability and that you have to add the spell manually. Do we have a way
        to indicate what spells were selected and add them or is that not
        possible currently?

        References

        2. mailto:nylanfs@...?subject=Re%3A%20Magus%20%26%20Spell-Blending
        3. mailto:pcgen@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Magus%20%26%20Spell-Blending
        8. http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/
        9. http://wiki.pcgen.org/Mailing_Lists_and_PCGen_Links
        10. http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php
        11. http://jira.pcgen.org/
        15. mailto:pcgen-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Traditional
        16. mailto:pcgen-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest
        18. http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        19. mailto:ygroupsnotifications@yahoogroups.com?subject=Feedback%20on%20the%20redesigned%20individual%20mail%20v1

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012

          We can select any spell, but we lack the ability to reliably add them.

          Road Blocks:
          a) SPELLLEVEL / SPELLKNOWN do not take %LIST (Requires %LIST to work on those two tags)
          b) We can't designate which class is supposed to gain the spell (Requires Multiple CHOOSE)

          Due to the number of spells, manually setting up a trigger to add a selected spell is just to time
          consuming to be feasible.

          Cheers,

          On 12/7/2012 3:29 AM, Paul wrote:
          > The Magus Arcana ability Spell-Blending lets you select a spell that you don't currently know of our currently highest spell level and add it to your spellbook. It appears that currently it's only a fluff ability and that you have to add the spell manually. Do we have a way to indicate what spells were selected and add them or is that not possible currently?

        • Martijn Verburg
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
            It lives ;-)

            On 9 December 2012 08:07, Rob <mynex@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > What about setting up an ability chooser (chain them for levels) using
            > PRESPELLTYPE, BONUS:ABILITYPOOL, BONUS:SPELLKNOWN and Kits (SPELLS>blah<
            > COUNT>blah< and COST:0 (Not sure about the COST:0 bit though)) to assign
            > the
            > spells... ?
            >
            > Ability categories and abilities are used for weapon training... why not
            > attempt to adapt that to spells...
            >
            > It wouldn't be pretty, but you could avoid the listing of every spell by
            > doing it by types (Arcane, Divine) or even descriptors....
            >
            > Just a thought...
            >
            > (Oh, btw - Hi everyone :D)
            >
            > W. Robert Reed III
            > Mynex

          • Maredudd
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
              Hi Folks!

              Kar wrote:

              > It lives ;-)

              Took the words right out of my mouth! :-)

            • Maredudd
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
                Oh, hi Rob! :-)

                Sent from my iPad

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
                  Hi Rob,

                  Oh you can, but it's the cost vs. benefit. You're doing that for every spell. Hence my statement
                  it's possible but not really worth the effort.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012

                    The question presented is Choosing a Spell, and Adding the spell to the Spellbook.

                    We can easily do the first part with a simple choose. CHOOSE:SPELLS is quite versatile.
                    It's the second part that can't be done easily (Well, actually we can't add anything to a spell book
                    today, we can add it to your known list).

                    You can easily set up pairings like this:

                    ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Grant Magus Spell ~ Foo|PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special
                    Ability,Chooser Ability(Foo)
                    Now, you'll get the Grant Magus Spell ~ Foo if the chooser has selected spell Foo. Easy to do. Now,
                    rinse and repeat for every spell. Labor intense and doesn't cover any additional source books that
                    increase the Magus's spell list.

                    I don't see an easy method for an automatic method to handle that today with any other set up. For
                    today, you can mainly add the spell to the ability to note it. And then the user needs to manually
                    add it themselves. (You can do a Bonus for a Known spell easily enough, if that's what you were
                    alluding to before, doesn't cover what the OP wanted, but does allow the end user the additional
                    spell in a legit manner).

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012

                      The main reason is AUTO tags and Bonus tags.

                      CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY coupled with BONUS:WEAPONPROF=%LIST|TOHIT|1 or AUTO:WEAPONPROF|%LIST

                      Spells don't have the proper AUTO and Bonus tags to be used the same way. You have SPELLLEVEL and
                      SPELLKNOWN and those do NOT take '%LIST' without that it's an arduous process of coding each spell
                      by hand. We need Code Support.

                      I'll break it down further if you need later.... have a game tonight, and have the players showing
                      up now.

                    • Barak
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 8, 2012
                        > So what's the point of the choose:spells tag if it doesn't do anything
                        (and
                        > choose:spelllevel for that matter)? Or am I missing some syntax to get it
                        > to actually do something...???

                        > Did some code get left undone for displaying back when this tag was
                        > introduced maybe?

                        Hey Rob!

                        Actually, it is as designed. Push was made a while ago (couple/three years
                        now?) to keep tag functions separate and get rid of the "magic" ones that
                        were doing double duty. I don't recall the exact reasoning, I think it had
                        to do with making the maintenance of the code easier as well as making it
                        obvious what a tags scope was.

                        CHOOSERs choose things and that's all they are supposed to do. Other tags
                        (usually BONUS) implement things. This one never got the code work done
                        necessary to implement it looks like.

                        Barak
                      • Rob

                          On 12/7/2012 3:29 AM, Paul wrote:
                          > The Magus Arcana ability Spell-Blending lets you select a spell that you
                          don't currently know of our currently highest spell level and add it to your
                          spellbook. It appears that currently it's only a fluff ability and that you
                          have to add the spell manually. Do we have a way to indicate what spells
                          were selected and add them or is that not possible currently?

                          > PCGen's release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net PCGen's Mailing
                          > Lists and Links: http://wiki.pcgen.org/Mailing_Lists_and_PCGen_Links
                          >

                          > PCGen List File Help:
                          >
                          > PCGen Experimental:
                          > (for new official data source development) Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Admin Silverback - PCGen Board of Directors Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Rob

                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 9, 2012
                                Okay, this finally clicked in my brain (amazing what sleep can do!)... So
                                getting and selecting a spell is not the issue;

                                CHOOSE:SPELLS|CLASSLIST=Magus[KNOWN=NO]|SPELLTYPE=Magus[LEVELMAX=MAXCASTABLE
                                ]

                                Would give a list of all the magus spells not currently known that they can
                                cast at their highest level for selection of a spell (Which does work, I
                                just tested it)

                                BUT not put it in their spells known list (which it does not from my
                                test)... nor does it list it on the output sheet.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 9, 2012
                                  Ah, okay... Well I tried. Figured I could display my ignorance of the new
                                  stuff for the whole world to see! XD

                                  And Chris *innocent smile* Just the monkey I was looking for... hit me
                                  offlist if you dare! ;)

                                  W. Robert Reed III
                                  Mynex