RE: [pcgen] Re: PCGen-XML, still of any interest?

  • Barak
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2012
      > Unless we get a nice xstl to transform it into xml I don't see that
      > happening...

      Umm, XSLT transforms XML into other things, not other things into XML...

      Barak
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2012

        Our Characters have an output sheet in xml format on export. I don't think it'd be hard to do
        something that outputs the lst to xml.

        My issue with xml is the verbosity factor.

        <ability>
        <name>Foo</name>
        <type>Fighter</type>
        <type>General</type>
        <description>Lots of text.</description>
        </ability>

        in lst the same would be:

        Foo
        TYPE:Fighter.General
        DESC:Lots of text.

        xml drastically inflates your file size (Which considering the number of files, I think we could say
        we'd easily double the file size, which makes the program bulkier at no true benefit I can see. And
        it's not a happy camper if you miss a closing tag. LST may not be perfect, but it's not as verbose,
        we have nice programs to line up the tags to make an eyeball view easy to spot discrepancies. With
        xml, you either use the typical tree view, or it's all scattered on one line. I'll consider other
        options for coding up pcgen, as long as it offers something more than what we have that makes such a
        change worth while. While I understand a few people like the idea, LST has grown by leaps and
        bounds, our support tools are varied but exist.

        Xml has it's place - we use it for Output. It'd be great for our grand Document project. But for
        coding up books, the less typing, the less debugging and overall the easier it is, the happier I'll
        be (Finding a missing closing tag is a pain)

        Give me a few good reasons why XML would be better than LST to justify the file size increase, the
        additional steps to writing out abilities. and increased debugging cost.