Re: PCGen-XML, still of any interest?

  • Bryan McRoberts
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2012
      Keith,
      I got your email. :)
      I doubt PCGen will convert to xml, though I admit that, had I been aware of xml when I first started writing PCGen, I think I would have chosen xml as the data language rather than rolling my own lst language.

      I'll let the BOD mull whether they'd like to have ownership of the lst. I think it makes sense for them to at least take ownership of it, even just to keep it as a possibility.

      -Bryan
      Benevolent Dictator of PCGen

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2012
        Unless we get a nice xstl to transform it into xml I don't see that
        happening...

        On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 9:12 PM, Bryan McRoberts <merton_monk@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Keith,
        > I got your email. :)
        > I doubt PCGen will convert to xml, though I admit that, had I been aware
        > of xml when I first started writing PCGen, I think I would have chosen xml
        > as the data language rather than rolling my own lst language.
        >
        > I'll let the BOD mull whether they'd like to have ownership of the lst. I
        > think it makes sense for them to at least take ownership of it, even just
        > to keep it as a possibility.
        >
        > -Bryan
        > Benevolent Dictator of PCGen
        >

        > ________________________________
        > From: Keith Davies <keith.davies@...>
        > To: PCGen <pcgen@yahoogroups.com>; merton_monk@...;
        > Mynex@...; lonejedi70@...; barak@...;
        > martijnv@...; mtucker@...; paul.king@...; Doug
        > McMillan <mcmillan@...>
        > Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 4:32 PM
        > Subject: PCGen-XML, still of any interest?
        >
        > Hi All,
        >
        > I created the PCGen-XML Yahoo group back around 2002-2003 to head up the
        > creation of an XML schema for PCGen and integrate it into PCGen.
        >
        > My life has moved on, and it seems PCGen did as well. The last traffic
        > seen on this list was May 11, 2009.
        >
        > Is anyone interested in taking over ownership of this group? Or can I
        > simply remove it?
        >
        > [I'm also mildly curious about who gets this message and cares at all.
        > I'm not entirely certain I can post to the PCGen list since I can't join
        > it -- yahoo error, apparently -- and the uniquely-named addressees are
        > from the 'PCGEn BoD' from _years_ ago...]
        >
        > Keith
        > --
        > Keith Davies "chain letter and chain mail...
        > keith.davies@... not the same thing, right?"
        > KJD-IMC: http://www.kjd-imc.org -- Naomi
        > Echelon: http://www.echelond20.org

      • Barak
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2012
          > Unless we get a nice xstl to transform it into xml I don't see that
          > happening...

          Umm, XSLT transforms XML into other things, not other things into XML...

          Barak
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 7, 2012

            Our Characters have an output sheet in xml format on export. I don't think it'd be hard to do
            something that outputs the lst to xml.

            My issue with xml is the verbosity factor.

            <ability>
            <name>Foo</name>
            <type>Fighter</type>
            <type>General</type>
            <description>Lots of text.</description>
            </ability>

            in lst the same would be:

            Foo
            TYPE:Fighter.General
            DESC:Lots of text.

            xml drastically inflates your file size (Which considering the number of files, I think we could say
            we'd easily double the file size, which makes the program bulkier at no true benefit I can see. And
            it's not a happy camper if you miss a closing tag. LST may not be perfect, but it's not as verbose,
            we have nice programs to line up the tags to make an eyeball view easy to spot discrepancies. With
            xml, you either use the typical tree view, or it's all scattered on one line. I'll consider other
            options for coding up pcgen, as long as it offers something more than what we have that makes such a
            change worth while. While I understand a few people like the idea, LST has grown by leaps and
            bounds, our support tools are varied but exist.

            Xml has it's place - we use it for Output. It'd be great for our grand Document project. But for
            coding up books, the less typing, the less debugging and overall the easier it is, the happier I'll
            be (Finding a missing closing tag is a pain)

            Give me a few good reasons why XML would be better than LST to justify the file size increase, the
            additional steps to writing out abilities. and increased debugging cost.