Re: Pathfinder Core and Familiars from other sources

  • FerretDave
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 3, 2012
      Greetings,
      Yay! :-)

      Cheers

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 10, 2012

        So I tracked the entry down...

        And it's not cut and dry. Bestiary II adds new critters. We have Supplements which reference the
        Bestiary II Critters.

        a) Allow them all regardless of loaded sets
        b) Put a PRExxx to control when they are allowed - which then begs the question, when does the
        prexxx trigger?
        c) Make a new set for just those entries
        d) Other

        What are we wanting here?

      • gjorbjond
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 11, 2012
          Personally I'd rather have all the familiars and animal companion options load all the time. If I'm making a PC with a familiar or companion, I don't want to have to load up all the Bestiaries for me to see the full list of options.

          That's a lot of extra memory and load time wasted every time I create a wizard or druid.

          It's not like all they aren't available off the PFSRD site anyway. How many GMs would deny you the use of a particular animal companion or familiar if you had a printout of the stats from the web page?

          > So I tracked the entry down...
          >
          > And it's not cut and dry. Bestiary II adds new critters. We have Supplements which reference the
          > Bestiary II Critters.

          > a) Allow them all regardless of loaded sets
          > b) Put a PRExxx to control when they are allowed - which then begs the question, when does the
          > prexxx trigger?
          > c) Make a new set for just those entries
          > d) Other
          >
          > What are we wanting here?
          >
          > On 12/3/2012 12:43 PM, FerretDave wrote:
          > > Greetings,
          > > Yay! :-)
          > >
          > > Cheers

          > >> Hi,
          > >>
          > >> Yes, that's what is set up. There is one creature cited and I haven't been able to confirm the
          > >> validity of the report. Bogged down with other issues at the moment. In the middle of pushing sets
          > >> through final review and moving them to d20ogl as full releases. Point is, the stuff is hiding in
          > >> core, but shouldn't be available till you load the proper book. Which is as it was intended to work.
          > >>
          > >> When I get around to looking at the one cited creature, I'll track down what is granting it, and
          > >> deal with that accordingly.
          > >>
          > >> Till then, I think the current set up is working as intended.
          > >>
          > >> Cheers,

        • David R. Bender
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 11, 2012
            Personally, I would like all familiars and animal companions loaded when
            the Core Rulebook set is loaded, however with a PRExxx on all but the
            Core Rulebookentries.

            Then, have a .pcc file for each Bestiary/source that contains f/ac, and
            one for *just* the familiars / animal companions from that source. These
            are mutually exclusive, ie. you can only load one. So if you have f/ac
            in Bestiary 2, 3, Pirate Familiars (book), Inner Sea Magic, etc. there
            are two .pcc files for each one.

            Now, using Bestiary 2 as an example, one of the .pcc files is title
            "Bestiary 2 - Familiars and Animal Companions Only" and it contains two
            pieces of information: 1) A PREMULT that requires the loading of the
            Core Rulebook, and requires the "Bestiary 2 Complete" rulebook NOT be
            loadedand 2) it contains a way to set a variable to 1, either via
            TEMPLATE (which means you also need the template tag) or some other
            simple way.

            Then in the "Bestiary 2 - Complete" file, it is as normal but there is
            the sametype of PREMULT as above, except it checks to make sure the
            "Bestiary 2 - Familiars and Animal Companions" is NOT loaded, and it
            contains the same variable set to 1.

            What this accomplishes is, 1) all f/ac are loaded with Core. 2) folks
            can *either* loadthe complete bestiaryor other books and access the
            f/ac, or they can just make available the f/acwithout all the other
            information, or 3) use only the core by not allowing the "complete" or
            "f/ac only" loaded.

            A bit more work, a 2nd but very simple .pcc file, but I think it is a
            compromise that everyone can live with.

            -- david
            Papa.DRB

            My better half and me (jpg)

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 13, 2012
              Greetings,
              Responding to three posts in one...

              >I'd rather have all the familiars and animal companion options load all the time.
              I disagree, but that's my opinion ;-)

              >I don't want to have to load up all the Bestiaries
              Agreed!

              >How many GMs would deny you the use of a particular animal companion or familiar
              Enough... and while most may be happy to allow, many may well say 'stick to these specific books'.

              My preference is that I don't have a load of familiars/companions (or other options) appearing unnecessarily. Particularly I dont want a player loading up just the sources I've said are ok, and then thinking he can take the fancy familiar just because it's on the list in PCGen.

              >b) Put a PRExxx to control when they are allowed - which then begs the question, when does the prexxx trigger?

              If *all* familiars are defined/loaded in the core rules (but have prexxx to prevent usage of any non-core), then the prexxx is set by loading *any* source that defines/references that familiar/ac.

              > Then, have a .pcc file for each Bestiary/source that contains f/ac
              I like this idea, however, make it a step easier - rather than one pcc for each source, have just one more for core - with all familiars.

              Most users are either going to use a source, or not, so they'll load that source and then have the relevant familiars available. Other users are fine tuning which sources they load, but want all familiars regardless of source - so just activate them all.
              The one extra pcc can just define all the PREXXX and then load the standard core pcc.

              Cheers