Re: [pcgen] Re: Displaying more Archtype info

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 28, 2012

      That would be a mess to implement. Archetype code by itself does not remove anything. Archetypes
      just have 'Types' that are the trigger to remove the abilities in the existing classes. Asking the
      Code to decipher that I'm sure would give James an ulcer.

      CLASS:Fighter
      1 <> ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Awesome Feat of
      Coolness|!PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Archetype,TYPE.FighterAwesomeFeatOfCoolness

      So, the code to kill the ability doesn't reside in the Archetype, it resides in the granting class.
      The PRExxx is actually acting as a REQ (But that's another discussion).

      Archetype Ability Fighter Replacement CATEGORY:Archetype TYPE:FighterAwesomeFeatOfCoolness

      I add the Archetype and it doesn't know it's removing the ability. Of course it would also have
      ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|New Replacement Ability

      Which I suppose we could make code to show that. Honestly, it'd be easier to add an ASPECT that
      displays what you are asking. It's the same as the Description, but then the data monkey could put
      'This removes Fighter Awesome Feat of Coolness; Replaces it with 'New Replacement Ability' and also
      adds a class skill.

      I suppose the ASPECT might be a preference, but to be honest, the same can easily be achieved by
      simply adding another DESC with a PRERULE or PRExxx trigger.

      So, short answer - I wouldn't ask James to undertake this task, as it seems way too involved for
      such a narrow use. If you want to have the archetype display what it removes and replaces, then I'd
      call it a data freq. And then it's a debate on what method should we employ to make it pretty and
      such. Hmm, it'd be nice to have a DISPLAY in UI only text, now that I could get behind... something
      like giving instructions on how to use an Ability "Select this ability and you'll choose a weapon in
      the ability group called "New Weapons", please make a selection"

      Certainly seems a bit easier to do. Just be man hour intensive tracking down all the "Replaces x
      ability"

      On 11/28/2012 8:51 PM, Paul wrote:
      > What I'm thinking is something similar to the PREREQ display.
      >
      > Basically if I don't have the books, but I'm interested in a quick synopsis of what the archtype (or combat style for that mater) would have on my choosen class.
      >
      > Ie Feats/Skills/Abilities removed listed, and ones that are added. Pulled directly from the archtype code.

      >> Hi,
      >>
      >> I'm a bit confused. What exactly do you mean, "automatically"? Altering from the baseline as in
      >> another window? Seeing some weird troubleshoot sheet that can somehow see the abilities and realize
      >> they were removed?
      >>
      >> In how it works - Once an Archetype ability is applied, the replaced ability is completely *removed*
      >> from the character, as if it never existed as far as the data and code is concerned. Sure, you
      >> remove the Archetype and the ability is back.
      >>
      >> From a Data Side, I suppose I *could* implement something, but that would involve doubling the data
      >> files for every ability that is removed. (Internal Abilities - Removed Ability X; Removed Skill Y...)
      >>
      >> From a Code Side - I'd hazard a guess it'd be ugly as you'd have to re-work exactly how PRExxx works.
      >>
      >> A little clarification would help in understanding.
      >>

      >> On 11/28/2012 7:42 PM, Paul wrote:
      >>> Also is there a way to be able to display exactly WHAT feats/Abilities/Skills the archtypes are altering from the baseline?
      >>>
      >>> I mean automatically, not in the desc.

      >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
      >>>

      >> --
      >> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
      >> Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
      >> Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

    • Joe Medica
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 29, 2012
        I am not sure this is a bug, but I thought I'd ask:

        Version 6 (newest auto build)
        When I create a character, I cannot choose an archetype for the classes when I create a character. Doesn't seem to matter the class - rogue, cleric, etc.

        Joe Medica

        Sent from my iPhone

      • David R. Bender
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 29, 2012
          Could be one of several possibilities,

          1. You must load PF Core rulebook *and* the Advanced Player Guide,
          because the archetypes are in the APG.
          2. Are you looking under the correct tab? "Feats and Abilities" ->
          "Archetype"

          -- david
          Papa.DRB

          My better half and me (jpg)