Gumshoe system

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2012
      Anyone have any of the settings for Gumshoe system? Somebody on the enworld forums asked if we were going to support 13th Age RPG. To which I replied I'd look into it.

      From what info I can find it appears to be a modified d20 system?
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 28, 2012

        13th Age is his:

        /"Our goal with 13th Age is to recapture the free-wheeling style of old-school gaming by creating a
        game with more soul and fewer technical details. ...13th Age makes the play group's campaign the
        center of attention, with a toolkit of rules that you can pick and choose from based on the kind of
        game you want to play. The mechanics draw from classic games as well as newer, story-based games."
        -- Jonathan Tweet, co-designer

        /

        *13th Age* is a new fantasy roleplaying game, designed by Jonathan Tweet -- lead designer of
        Dungeons & Dragons® third edition -- and Rob Heinsoo, the lead designer of the fourth edition
        of D&D®.

        The fifth post-playtest draft of 13th Age is now included with the pre-order
        <http://www.pelgranepress.com/shop>. To learn more about the game, check out the EN World Q&A
        with Jonathan Tweet <http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=8395> and his Geek in Review interview
        <http://girpodcast.podomatic.com/entry/2012-07-14T13_43_03-07_00>. NEW: video from Gen Con
        <http://youtu.be/TBl5W851fi4>where Rob and Jonathan talk about the icons.

        /"[13th Age] has just enough of the freedom I want from a tabletop game while also being able to
        balance the crunchy aspects. I was just about to swear off D20 games, too. So I'm glad I found
        this." -- Kirby Smith, playtester/

        /"The combination of a streamlined...system with fun and unique character creation and an
        interesting high fantasy world have completely won me over." -- Robot Viking blog,"13th Age RPG is a
        Roiling Broth of Intrigue"
        <http://www.robotviking.com/2012/08/21/13th-age-rpg-is-a-roiling-broth-of-intrigue/>/

        In the 13th Age of the world, adventurers seek their fortunes in the Dragon Empire while powerful
        individuals known as icons pursue goals that may preserve the empire from chaos, or send it over the
        edge.

        Players decide which icons their characters ally with, and which ones they oppose. These
        relationships, along with a personal history and a unique trait chosen during character creation,
        help define an adventurer's place in the world of 13th Age and lay the groundwork for epic stories
        that emerge through play.

        There are also fun new rules for hitting orcs and making them go /splat/.

        An early draft of 13th Age was playtested by more than 200 gaming groups around the world. The game
        will be published by Pelgrane Press in December 2012.

        Gumshoe from the same publisher is:

        The GUMSHOE System

        A new roleplaying game system from Pelgrane Press Ltd

        The GUMSHOE rules system is a new rpg which revolutionizes investigative scenarios by ensuring that
        players are never deprived of the crucial clues they need to move the story forward. Adventure
        creation is a core component of the system

        GUMSHOE was written by Robin D Laws, creator of the Dying Earth, and the first release incorporating
        the rule set was The Esoterrorists, followed by Fear Itself.

        This website will be expanded to include other new projects using the GUMSHOE system, including
        Mutant City Blues and a new version of Call of Cthulhu by Kenneth Hite called Trail of Cthulhu.

        ---
        Not sure if Gumshoe is modified d20, but 13th age looks promising. Did you want to know actual
        mechanics of the Gumshoe system?

        On 11/28/2012 8:37 PM, Paul wrote:
        > Anyone have any of the settings for Gumshoe system? Somebody on the enworld forums asked if we were going to support 13th Age RPG. To which I replied I'd look into it.
        >
        > >From what info I can find it appears to be a modified d20 system?

      • Martijn Vos
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 29, 2012
          From what I understand, 13th Age is more closely related to D&D 4 than to D&D 3.5, but with less focus on the
          pure mechanical combat, and more focus on story and relationships and all the stuff that makes roleplaying
          awesome.

          But that's all extrapolated from stuff I've heard. I haven't seen the rules or played or, of even have it explained
          to me in even as many words as I just used. So it's a guess, I'm afraid.

          In Gumsoe, you basically have a bunch of investigative abilities. If you have them, you'll always succeed in
          finding vital clues if you look for them. If you have them at a higher level, you can temporarily spend those
          extra levels to get additional clues.

          It's possible that you also have non-investigative skills (like combat), but I forgot the details.

          mcv.