Are all prestige classes limited or are some unlimited in advancement?

  • Matt C
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2012
      I have a question about RSRD prestige classes: Are they all limited in level advancement, or does it vary by class?

      In my testing of PCGen, the Hierophant was limited to the 5 levels showing in the RSRD table, but the Mystic Theurge, which has 10 levels showing, was able to reach 14th level (at least).

      At least with Mystic Theurge, the pattern is easily determined and extrapolated. Others, though, seem to have a fixed ending with top-level benefits (e.g. Arcane Archer or Loremaster, which I haven't yet tested).

      Thanks, Matt
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 19, 2012

        If you load the just the regular rules, then you are limited to the 5 or 10 levels of the prestige
        classes. If you load the epic rules, you have unlimited progression.

        On 11/19/2012 3:54 PM, Matt C wrote:
        > I have a question about RSRD prestige classes: Are they all limited in level advancement, or does it vary by class?
        >
        > In my testing of PCGen, the Hierophant was limited to the 5 levels showing in the RSRD table, but the Mystic Theurge, which has 10 levels showing, was able to reach 14th level (at least).
        >
        > At least with Mystic Theurge, the pattern is easily determined and extrapolated. Others, though, seem to have a fixed ending with top-level benefits (e.g. Arcane Archer or Loremaster, which I haven't yet tested).
        >
        > Thanks, Matt

      • Rick Pikul
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 19, 2012
          On Monday 19 November 2012 19:05, Andrew wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > If you load the just the regular rules, then you are limited to the 5 or 10
          > levels of the prestige classes. If you load the epic rules, you have
          > unlimited progression.

          Hopefully that only applies to the 10+ level prestige classes, prestige
          classes with fewer than 10 levels are capped even when using epic rules:

          "A ten-level prestige class beyond can also be advanced beyond 10th level, but
          only if the character level of the advancing character is already 20th or
          higher. A class with fewer than ten levels cannot be advanced beyond the
          maximum described for that class, regardless of the character level of the
          advancing character." (RSRD)

          The reason being that the 3 and 5 level prestige classes didn't have any point
          for you to go farther and/or didn't have enough time to establish patterns
          for continuing to gain abilities. (The one 7 level one was also thematically
          linked to having exactly that many.)

          --
          Chakat Firepaw - Inventor & Scientist (Mad)