Composite +0

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 18, 2012
      Umm exactly what is the purpose of these bows?
    • Matt C
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 18, 2012
        The default composite bow (+0) needs a +0 strength modifier to use with proficiency but has a greater range increment than a regular bow. A default composite longbow, for example, needs a strength 10 but it has a range increment of 110 feet, greater than the 100 feat of a regular longbow. It also costs 100 GP instead of 75.

        ~~ Matt

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@...> wrote:

        > Umm exactly what is the purpose of these bows?

      • FerretDave
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 19, 2012
          Greetings,

          This would be the one you'd normally customise to make a 'mighty' composite longbow, hadn't actually realised that the '+0' version was actually a valid item... in fact, is it valid to have as +0?

          I thought you had to customise to give it a positive modifier...(like 'wand' and 'potion' - can't use the actual item, but needed to customise it first)...

          As a semi-related note, could we flag in the GUI equipment that exist, but must be customised to be used (like wand/potion/gem) make them italic or something (they do give a dialog if you try and select them without customising)

          Cheers

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Matt C" <mbchambers@...> wrote:

          > The default composite bow (+0) needs a +0 strength modifier to use with proficiency but has a greater range increment than a regular bow. A default composite longbow, for example, needs a strength 10 but it has a range increment of 110 feet, greater than the 100 feat of a regular longbow. It also costs 100 GP instead of 75.
          >
          > ~~ Matt
          >
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Umm exactly what is the purpose of these bows?

        • senseileroof
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 19, 2012
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

            > Greetings,
            >
            > This would be the one you'd normally customise to make a 'mighty' composite longbow, hadn't actually realised that the '+0' version was actually a valid item... in fact, is it valid to have as +0?
            >
            > I thought you had to customise to give it a positive modifier...(like 'wand' and 'potion' - can't use the actual item, but needed to customise it first)...
            >
            > As a semi-related note, could we flag in the GUI equipment that exist, but must be customised to be used (like wand/potion/gem) make them italic or something (they do give a dialog if you try and select them without customising)
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Matt C" <mbchambers@> wrote:
            > >
            > > The default composite bow (+0) needs a +0 strength modifier to use with proficiency but has a greater range increment than a regular bow. A default composite longbow, for example, needs a strength 10 but it has a range increment of 110 feet, greater than the 100 feat of a regular longbow. It also costs 100 GP instead of 75.
            > >
            > > ~~ Matt
            > >
            > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Umm exactly what is the purpose of these bows?

            According to D&D 3E, +0 is the default composite longbow, so yes, it is valid.
          • Paul
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 19, 2012
              Okay, DeathQuaker is reporting that you can't modify that bow and was confused by that.

              And yes it can't be modified.