PCGen v6.00.0 RC1 Released!

  • David R. Bender
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 30, 2012
      PCGen v6.00.0 RC1 is the first release candidate for PCGen 6.0. It
      represents a product we believe is ready for production use and which we
      would like your assistance in testing out. In particular the PCGen team
      would appreciate your feedback on importing your characters and data
      from earlier versions of PCGen. The highlights of the changes for PCGen
      6.0 are listed below:

      Major Changes
      New user interface
      - A faster, more responsive GUI, particularly when using multiple
      characters.
      - A redesigned interface intended to be friendlier and more informative
      - Support for Java 7 and Open JDK
      - Faster startup time
      Improved performance
      Install to non admin location on Windows
      Full spell descriptions in RSRD and Pathfinder
      Command line PDF generation

      LST Changes:
      Choice tags revamped and rigorously parsed
      Choice tags now only provide a choice - a separate tag (e.g. BONUS) is
      used to apply the choice
      All shipped data has been run through the LST converter to bring it up
      to 6.0 standards

      PCGen is an RPG character generator and maintenance program (d20
      systems). All datafiles are ASCII text files so they can be modified by
      users for their own campaigns.

      For more information about PCGen, join us at our Yahoo group:

      or visit our website:
      http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/01_overview.php

      or our wiki:
      http://wiki.pcgen.org/

      Download your free copy:
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Unstable/6.00.0%20RC1/

      You can see all of the changes included in this release by checking out
      the release notes:
      http://pcgen.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pcgen/Trunk/pcgen/installers/release-notes/pcgen-release-notes-6000RC1.html

      Trackers (JIRA) bugs:
      http://jira.pcgen.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa
      --

      -- david
      Papa.DRB

      My better half and me (jpg)

    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 31, 2012
        A Huge thank you to the tireless team that have put this together - it
        really is a pleasure to use this new version from the Ux to the performance
        and it's data handling :)

      • sugarpimp@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 31, 2012
          I've tested on my Macintosh with no errors. Char files from 5.17.20 converted without problem.

          One question: I'm loading pathfinder - advanced data set but not seeing any of the classes from the advance players guide (alchemist, oracle, etc.) I thought these had been coded.

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 31, 2012

            They are coded up. I see them just fine. Though I'm not using a Mac, so I can't vouch for that
            distribution.

            I've cc'd our Mac builder. Have him take a quick look.

          • James Dempsey
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 31, 2012

              They should be there. Were there any errors in the log (hit F10 to access)?

              Cheers,
              James Dempsey
              PCGen Code SB

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 31, 2012
                OK did some more testing. It's behaving weird. Sometimes they're there, sometimes not. If I start the program and create a new char, they're there. If I load an older char, the program reloads sources, and they're gone, including for any new characters I create after that.

                Seems that old sources are somehow linked to old save files. Not sure how to fix this.

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012

                  Yes by default PCGen loads the correct sources when you load a
                  character. This is done to ensure that the character has the right rules
                  applied.

                  You can see the name of the current sources in the PCGen window title.

                  If you need to change the sources for a character, turn off the "Load
                  sources with PC" option in preferences > Sources, load the desired
                  sources, load your character, save your character again (I'd recommend
                  to a new file) and then reactivate "Load Sources with PC" in
                  preferences. The saved character will now be registered against the new
                  sources which will be checked each time you load the character.

                  Cheers,
                  James.

                  On 1/11/2012 5:12 PM sugarpimp@... wrote
                  > OK did some more testing. It's behaving weird. Sometimes they're there, sometimes not. If I start the program and create a new char, they're there. If I load an older char, the program reloads sources, and they're gone, including for any new characters I create after that.
                  >
                  > Seems that old sources are somehow linked to old save files. Not sure how to fix this.
                  >

                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey<jdempsey@...> wrote:
                  >> Hi,
                  >>
                  >> They should be there. Were there any errors in the log (hit F10 to access)?
                  >>
                  >> Cheers,
                  >> James Dempsey
                  >> PCGen Code SB
                  >>

                  >> On 1 November 2012 16:26, sugarpimp@...<jonschatz@...>wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> I've tested on my Macintosh with no errors. Char files from 5.17.20
                  >>> converted without problem.
                  >>>
                  >>> One question: I'm loading pathfinder - advanced data set but not seeing
                  >>> any of the classes from the advance players guide (alchemist, oracle, etc.)
                  >>> I thought these had been coded.

                • Eric C Smith
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
                    Hi Folks!

                    Just close the loop here I have tried RC1 and it works as its upposed to. I see all of the APG classes.

                    Maredudd
                    Doc 2nd and Mac User

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
                      OK, I'll give that a try. Thanks!

                      Of note though, the chars I've been loading that keep changing the source material were all also created with "pathfinder for players - advanced" loaded in previous versions. So I'm wondering if this may be some sort of save file compatibility issue with RC1.

                      > Yes by default PCGen loads the correct sources when you load a
                      > character. This is done to ensure that the character has the right rules
                      > applied.
                      >
                      > You can see the name of the current sources in the PCGen window title.
                      >
                      > If you need to change the sources for a character, turn off the "Load
                      > sources with PC" option in preferences > Sources, load the desired
                      > sources, load your character, save your character again (I'd recommend
                      > to a new file) and then reactivate "Load Sources with PC" in
                      > preferences. The saved character will now be registered against the new
                      > sources which will be checked each time you load the character.
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > James.
                      >
                      > On 1/11/2012 5:12 PM sugarpimp@... wrote
                      > > OK did some more testing. It's behaving weird. Sometimes they're there, sometimes not. If I start the program and create a new char, they're there. If I load an older char, the program reloads sources, and they're gone, including for any new characters I create after that.
                      > >
                      > > Seems that old sources are somehow linked to old save files. Not sure how to fix this.
                      > >

                      > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey<jdempsey@> wrote:
                      > >> Hi,
                      > >>
                      > >> They should be there. Were there any errors in the log (hit F10 to access)?
                      > >>
                      > >> Cheers,
                      > >> James Dempsey
                      > >> PCGen Code SB

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • James Dempsey
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012

                        Could you send me a sample character or two please? I'd like to try this
                        one out myself. Either send it via direct email, or open a help jira at
                        http://jira.pcgen.org please.

                        Cheers,
                        James.

                        On 2/11/2012 12:44 AM sugarpimp@... wrote
                        > OK, I'll give that a try. Thanks!
                        >
                        > Of note though, the chars I've been loading that keep changing the source material were all also created with "pathfinder for players - advanced" loaded in previous versions. So I'm wondering if this may be some sort of save file compatibility issue with RC1.
                        >

                        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey<jdempsey@...> wrote:
                        >> Hi,
                        >>
                        >> Yes by default PCGen loads the correct sources when you load a
                        >> character. This is done to ensure that the character has the right rules
                        >> applied.
                        >>
                        >> You can see the name of the current sources in the PCGen window title.
                        >>
                        >> If you need to change the sources for a character, turn off the "Load
                        >> sources with PC" option in preferences> Sources, load the desired
                        >> sources, load your character, save your character again (I'd recommend
                        >> to a new file) and then reactivate "Load Sources with PC" in
                        >> preferences. The saved character will now be registered against the new
                        >> sources which will be checked each time you load the character.
                        >>
                        >> Cheers,
                        >> James.
                        >>
                        >> On 1/11/2012 5:12 PM sugarpimp@... wrote
                        >>> OK did some more testing. It's behaving weird. Sometimes they're there, sometimes not. If I start the program and create a new char, they're there. If I load an older char, the program reloads sources, and they're gone, including for any new characters I create after that.
                        >>>
                        >>> Seems that old sources are somehow linked to old save files. Not sure how to fix this.

                      • UnclePete
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 3, 2012
                          I've been having the same issue. I used James' instructions and managed
                          to add my new source (a homebrew for our game's house rules), but it's a
                          torturous path for a simple requirement. Has anyone thought of a
                          method/function to do an 'add/delete source' to an existing character?

                          Pete