I need a rules guru for Pathfinder

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 22, 2012

      The question has come up and I would like an official Paizo ruling -

      Any Creature which isn't obtainable until later levels (Like Animal Companions for certain Classes
      and Archetypes), are they obtained as is at the boosted level as if you got them from 1st level, or
      are they reduced and begin advancement from the level you obtain them?

      Druids don't have this question since all their companions are reduced and they don't have any level
      delay. But Samurai, Beast Rider (Cavalier Archetype) and a few others gain companions based upon
      Class Level.

      I'd like a factual answer as this affects a few write ups. (All are currently coded to the standard
      that a delayed level means a decreased level - as 3.5 did.).

    • Henk Slaaf
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 23, 2012
        Hey there,

        Looking at them, the rules are much more complex than I remember from 3.5:

        http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/classes/druid.html#_druid

        *Instead of taking the listed benefit at 4th or 7th level, you can instead
        > choose to increase the companion's Dexterity and Constitution by 2.*

        Is that currently in the system?

        That asked, I never saw anything in the rules about a lower level (and I
        looked hard). There are, of course, classes that make note of the lower
        level, e.g. the Ranger:

        *This ability functions like the druid animal companion ability ... except
        > that the ranger's effective druid level is equal to his ranger level – 3.)
        > *

        The animal companion stats are toned down from the bestiary stats. They are
        actually not the same creatures at all. The always have 2 HD when you
        start, then have stat modifications.

        So if you encounter a bear at first level, that would be a ferocious
        animal. Then, after befriending it and having it become your companion, it
        changes from 5 HD to 2HD at 1st level. Then it grows more ferocious as you
        level. Bit weird, but there it is. So roleplay that you befriend a pup bear
        and you're all set.

        So no, I think this is gone from Pathfinder.

        Best,

        Henk

      • Doug Limmer
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 23, 2012
          On 10/23/2012 4:51 AM, Henk Slaaf wrote:
          > Looking at them, the rules are much more complex than I remember from 3.5:
          >
          > http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/classes/druid.html#_druid
          >
          > *Instead of taking the listed benefit at 4th or 7th level, you can instead
          > > choose to increase the companion's Dexterity and Constitution by 2.*
          >
          > Is that currently in the system?

          Yes, it is.

          > That asked, I never saw anything in the rules about a lower level (and I
          > looked hard).

          A few archetypes (or the like), not in the core rules, add the ability
          to gain new animals at higher levels. For example, a small samurai can
          only choose a pony or a wolf at 1st level, but can "upgrade" to a boar
          or dog at 4th level. The question is, do those animals have a delayed
          effective druid level, or not? If a gnome samurai takes a boar as a
          mount at 4th level, is the effective druid level 4, or 1? I haven't
          seen any official word on it, but since it doesn't say otherwise, I
          would assume it's 4. I'll see if I can find (or make) a post to FAQ on
          their message boards.

          > So no, I think this is gone from Pathfinder.

          They added it back in. :-)

          DS/DL

        • gjorbjond
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 23, 2012
            I'm pretty sure that you don't reduce the effective druid level. It wouldn't make sense for your halfling to "upgrade" from your 6 HD pony to a 2 HD Velociraptor.

            In 3.5, you used the base animal stats and applied increased abilities to make it survivable. You had to lower the effective druid level because the base animal had more hit dice.

            In Pathfinder, the type of animal is just a template applied to the basic animal companion stats and that template doesn't alter the stats that much.