5.17.19 on Mac

  • sugarpimp@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 13, 2012
      So I've tried three times now -- downloaded pcgen51719_mac_install.dmg, mounted the volume, dragged the app to applications. When I try to run it, comp says: "PCGen 5.17.19" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash.

      Anyone know what's going on?

      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 13, 2012

        No idea, you're the first to report an issue with the build. Sending your report to Eric.

        On 10/13/2012 8:42 PM, sugarpimp@... wrote:
        > So I've tried three times now -- downloaded pcgen51719_mac_install.dmg, mounted the volume, dragged the app to applications. When I try to run it, comp says: "PCGen 5.17.19" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash.
        >
        > Anyone know what's going on?
        >
        > Thanks!

      • Jonathan Schatz
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 13, 2012
          I just figured it out. It was a message from the security system -- I had the "allow applications downloaded from" setting on "Mac App Store and identified developers". It gave me that erroneous message. WHen I changed to "Anywhere" it worked fine. Not sure why Apple wants people to think anything not from the App store or an "identified" developer is "damaged" even when its not.

          Anyway, sorry for any confusion.

          And WTF Apple??!

          On Oct 13, 2012, at 9:54 PM, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > No idea, you're the first to report an issue with the build. Sending your report to Eric.
          >
          > On 10/13/2012 8:42 PM, sugarpimp@... wrote:
          >>
          >> So I've tried three times now -- downloaded pcgen51719_mac_install.dmg, mounted the volume, dragged the app to applications. When I try to run it, comp says: "PCGen 5.17.19" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash.
          >>
          >> Anyone know what's going on?
          >>
          >> Thanks!

          >> Yahoo! Groups Links
          >>

          > --
          > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
          > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
          > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

        • Jonathan Schatz
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 13, 2012
            One followup question. I have chars created in 5.16.4. When I load them in 5.17.19 there's multiple problems (strange error messages about having too many racial abilities, missing equipment, etc.) Is there something I should do to convert the files for compatibility?

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 13, 2012

              A lot of changes have happened since 5.16.4. Feel free to post the messages and I'll be happy to let
              you know what, if anything, you should do.

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 14, 2012
                OK, here's what I'm seeing. Most of this is easy to take care of by adjusting this and that, but I'll just describe what's going on so you know:

                -Every char to comes up with "too many racial racial traits selected" but in the racial feats tab, it's just the basic things there. If you unselect two, their text changes from black to gold, the error message goes away, and they're still on the char sheet. Seems to be just a difference in how the versions "see" these selections.
                -Higher level chars always come up saying either too many or too few skill points selected. I have only two higher level chars (13 and 14). The 14 ranger said too many skills selected. I unselected one rank, error went away. The 13 wizard said too few skills, Might have been miscalc by the old version? because 5.17.19 said I had a rank to choose at almost every level, I did this, but I still have the error message -- it still lists one rank to be chosen at lev 1, but says I have 0 ranks left if I try to choose anything.
                -I was wrong about equipment. On a careful look, seems like everything translated over fine.

                Thanks!

                On Oct 13, 2012, at 10:41 PM, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > A lot of changes have happened since 5.16.4. Feel free to post the messages and I'll be happy to let you know what, if anything, you should do.
                >
                > On 10/13/2012 10:37 PM, Jonathan Schatz wrote:
                >>
                >> One followup question. I have chars created in 5.16.4. When I load them in 5.17.19 there's multiple problems (strange error messages about having too many racial abilities, missing equipment, etc.) Is there something I should do to convert the files for compatibility?
                >>

                >> On Oct 13, 2012, at 9:54 PM, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:
                >>
                >>> Hi,
                >>>
                >>> No idea, you're the first to report an issue with the build. Sending your report to Eric.

                >>> --
                >>> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                >>> Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur

              • Eric C Smith
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 14, 2012
                  Hi Jonathan,

                  On Oct 14, 2012, at 12:59 AM, Jonathan Schatz wrote:

                  > I just figured it out. It was a message from the security system -- I had the "allow applications downloaded from" setting on "Mac App Store and identified developers". It gave me that erroneous message. WHen I changed to "Anywhere" it worked fine. Not sure why Apple wants people to think anything not from the App store or an "identified" developer is "damaged" even when its not.
                  >
                  > Anyway, sorry for any confusion.
                  >
                  > And WTF Apple??!

                  Are you running OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion)?

                  You are experiencing Apple's "GateKeeper" I believe. I'm running OSX 10.6.x still but I understand a prototype GateKeeper was introduced in 10.7 and in 10.8 it has been beefed up. Fortunately, as you have discovered, they have also included an option to bypass it.

                  Maredudd
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 14, 2012

                    On 10/14/2012 8:42 AM, Jonathan Schatz wrote:
                    > OK, here's what I'm seeing. Most of this is easy to take care of by adjusting this and that, but I'll just describe what's going on so you know:
                    >
                    > -Every char to comes up with "too many racial racial traits selected" but in the racial feats tab, it's just the basic things there. If you unselect two, their text changes from black to gold, the error message goes away, and they're still on the char sheet. Seems to be just a difference in how the versions "see" these selections.

                    It's a drastic change in how the abilities are being applied to the character. It was implemented to
                    prevent changing RACE to break things (Too many people would select an Elf, and then switch to
                    Half-Elf, or whatever and they'd have the Elf Traits). The reason you don't see anything different
                    except the coloring is I believe 'those' in the black were applied as part of a Kit. The newer
                    system is a lot more sophisticated and doesn't rely on the kits. Remove *ALL* black showing
                    abilities until they are all simply GOLD (The Automatically applied color).

                    > -Higher level chars always come up saying either too many or too few skill points selected. I have only two higher level chars (13 and 14). The 14 ranger said too many skills selected. I unselected one rank, error went away. The 13 wizard said too few skills, Might have been miscalc by the old version? because 5.17.19 said I had a rank to choose at almost every level, I did this, but I still have the error message -- it still lists one rank to be chosen at lev 1, but says I have 0 ranks left if I try to choose anything.

                    That I'm unsure of. We did alter how Conditional Skills showed up. The newer version doesn't mess
                    with Skill Ranks, but I still don't understand how the skill ranks would be off.

                    > -I was wrong about equipment. On a careful look, seems like everything translated over fine.

                    Yeah, not much change in equipment.

                    > Thanks!
                    >
                    > On Oct 13, 2012, at 10:41 PM, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Hi,
                    >>
                    >> A lot of changes have happened since 5.16.4. Feel free to post the messages and I'll be happy to let you know what, if anything, you should do.

                  • slysndice1966
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 15, 2012
                      Had the same problem. Thanks for the fix!