GenCon 2013

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 10, 2012
      We just received an email from the GenCon staff about booking for next year and I thought now is a good time to start talking about next year. A 50% deposit is due by Jan 23rd, 2013

      This year (2012) things just weren't able to work out for us to have a booth, neither scheduling nor financially

      The costs involved are as follows
      Booth: $1400USD
      Electric: $50USD
      Flyers: $150+USD

      These are the minimum that I as PR guy think would be beneficial. Other costs could be added, like the following.

      Free CD's with PCGen ($700USD+) this cost "could" be split with other projects we could put on the CD.
      Additional t-shirts?

      I "can" run the booth the entire time myself, but after Friday it isn't as fun. Two years ago Todd & Doug were able to help me out which greatly helped. Hopefully they'd be able to help out again. :)

      So we'd need $1600USD as a minimum. There are additional things that we could do that I think would be beneficial.

      I would REALLY like to be able to have an actual code monkey attend because every year there's some people that stop by with code questions or interested in the project because of the three colleges in Indy with good computer science courses.

      Another thing that I would like to see is to have a "PCGen & how do I use it" seminar. For that we'd need at least a couple more experienced LST monkeys and preferably a Code monkey to help. In this I'd like to be able to give a quick over view of the prog, it's file structure, and the very basics of starting their homebrew sets.

      We currently have a couple of hundred in the PCGen fund from last year, some of which goes towards the web hosting. The BoD has also tossed around using Kickstarter or IndieGogo to use as a way to keep all the funding transparent as possible. But other than some t-shirts (which we had made a few years back) I'm not sure what else we could offer as rewards since PCGen is free (and will always be).

      So what are everyone's thoughts on next year?

      Paul Grosse
      PR Silverback
    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 11, 2012
        Hi all,

        If we were to Kickstarter this, what would people be willing to chip in for?

        * A specially made monster?
        * A specially made default character?
        * Acknowledgements on start-up?
        * Something else?

        Send in your ideas!

        Cheers,
        Martijn

        On 11 October 2012 00:07, Paul <nylanfs@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > We just received an email from the GenCon staff about booking for next
        > year and I thought now is a good time to start talking about next year. A
        > 50% deposit is due by Jan 23rd, 2013
        >
        > This year (2012) things just weren't able to work out for us to have a
        > booth, neither scheduling nor financially
        >
        > The costs involved are as follows
        > Booth: $1400USD
        > Electric: $50USD
        > Flyers: $150+USD
        >
        > These are the minimum that I as PR guy think would be beneficial. Other
        > costs could be added, like the following.
        >
        > Free CD's with PCGen ($700USD+) this cost "could" be split with other
        > projects we could put on the CD.
        > Additional t-shirts?
        >
        > I "can" run the booth the entire time myself, but after Friday it isn't as
        > fun. Two years ago Todd & Doug were able to help me out which greatly
        > helped. Hopefully they'd be able to help out again. :)
        >
        > So we'd need $1600USD as a minimum. There are additional things that we
        > could do that I think would be beneficial.
        >
        > I would REALLY like to be able to have an actual code monkey attend
        > because every year there's some people that stop by with code questions or
        > interested in the project because of the three colleges in Indy with good
        > computer science courses.
        >
        > Another thing that I would like to see is to have a "PCGen & how do I use
        > it" seminar. For that we'd need at least a couple more experienced LST
        > monkeys and preferably a Code monkey to help. In this I'd like to be able
        > to give a quick over view of the prog, it's file structure, and the very
        > basics of starting their homebrew sets.
        >
        > We currently have a couple of hundred in the PCGen fund from last year,
        > some of which goes towards the web hosting. The BoD has also tossed around
        > using Kickstarter or IndieGogo to use as a way to keep all the funding
        > transparent as possible. But other than some t-shirts (which we had made a
        > few years back) I'm not sure what else we could offer as rewards since
        > PCGen is free (and will always be).
        >
        > So what are everyone's thoughts on next year?
        >
        > Paul Grosse
        > PR Silverback

      • FerretDave
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 11, 2012
          Greetings,

          Getting Drew to fix up our homebrew for us... oh, hang on, we've already got that ! :-)

          Only thing I can think of that (most) people would *pay* for, would be datasets that we can't release... Forgotten Realms stuff etc.

          Hmmmm, we can share homebrew 'for personal use' amongst our own gaming group, so one kickstarter reward could be to play in a game hosted by one of our elite, who just happens to have homebrewed up the WOTC data sets ?

          :-)

          Keeping it serious though - there's no physical rewards possible really, so organising actual games to be run maybe more of an option? (probably via webcam as we're spread out a bit...)

          Allowing higher level pledgers to prioritise/request specific code/datasets to be added ?

          If a monkey was willing, could a data set (of a book of the pledgers choice) be coded up specifically for an end user? For that end users use only (as if the user had done it themselves, and thus work around the copyright issue? Treat it as 'time with an expert to produce a tailored homebrew'.

          Which reminds me, there is already that kickstarter that has a pcgen dataset as one reward, still don't understand how that's going to work.

          How about donating old (physical) rulebooks/supplements to 'pass on' as rewards?

          Cheers
          Dave

          > Hi all,
          >
          > If we were to Kickstarter this, what would people be willing to chip in for?
          >
          > * A specially made monster?
          > * A specially made default character?
          > * Acknowledgements on start-up?
          > * Something else?
          >
          > Send in your ideas!
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Martijn
          >
          > On 11 October 2012 00:07, Paul <nylanfs@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > We just received an email from the GenCon staff about booking for next
          > > year and I thought now is a good time to start talking about next year. A
          > > 50% deposit is due by Jan 23rd, 2013
          > >
          > > This year (2012) things just weren't able to work out for us to have a
          > > booth, neither scheduling nor financially
          > >
          > > The costs involved are as follows
          > > Booth: $1400USD
          > > Electric: $50USD
          > > Flyers: $150+USD
          > >
          > > These are the minimum that I as PR guy think would be beneficial. Other
          > > costs could be added, like the following.
          > >
          > > Free CD's with PCGen ($700USD+) this cost "could" be split with other
          > > projects we could put on the CD.
          > > Additional t-shirts?
          > >
          > > I "can" run the booth the entire time myself, but after Friday it isn't as
          > > fun. Two years ago Todd & Doug were able to help me out which greatly
          > > helped. Hopefully they'd be able to help out again. :)
          > >
          > > So we'd need $1600USD as a minimum. There are additional things that we
          > > could do that I think would be beneficial.
          > >
          > > I would REALLY like to be able to have an actual code monkey attend
          > > because every year there's some people that stop by with code questions or
          > > interested in the project because of the three colleges in Indy with good
          > > computer science courses.
          > >
          > > Another thing that I would like to see is to have a "PCGen & how do I use
          > > it" seminar. For that we'd need at least a couple more experienced LST
          > > monkeys and preferably a Code monkey to help. In this I'd like to be able
          > > to give a quick over view of the prog, it's file structure, and the very
          > > basics of starting their homebrew sets.
          > >
          > > We currently have a couple of hundred in the PCGen fund from last year,
          > > some of which goes towards the web hosting. The BoD has also tossed around
          > > using Kickstarter or IndieGogo to use as a way to keep all the funding
          > > transparent as possible. But other than some t-shirts (which we had made a
          > > few years back) I'm not sure what else we could offer as rewards since
          > > PCGen is free (and will always be).
          > >
          > > So what are everyone's thoughts on next year?
          > >
          > > Paul Grosse
          > > PR Silverback

        • tripleduck
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 11, 2012
            T-Shirts are the obvious one
            Bumper Stickers
            Patches
            Posters? Nerds like nerdy things like posters of nerdy things! I'd hang it on my wall!

            mobile phone cases with the PCGen logo?

            I know M&M's has some thing where you can have your own image on them. it has to be simple, but M&M's with PCGen written on them would be pretty cool :)

            I'll brainstorm some more.
          • Rob Allen
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 11, 2012
              Know any artists? Custom character portraits is a perennial favorite. I'd donate some time to do it if I (a) had any time to donate, and (b) thought I was good enough.

              Rob
            • Paul
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 11, 2012
                I should have also mentioned that there is still the donate button on Sourceforge

                http://sourceforge.net/project/project_donations.php?group_id=25576

                Or you can donate directly via Paypal to the following address

                pcgenpaypal@...

                And on the character art We already have an afilliation with a portrait website where we get a portion of the proceeds. This is accessed from the portrait click on the "But portrait from affiliate" button or click below.

                https://www.e-junkie.com/ecom/gb.php?cl=154598&c=ib&aff=154875
              • James Dempsey
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 16, 2012

                  We should distribute sample characters with PCGen to give an idea of the
                  capabilities. We could have a donation step where the contributor's
                  favourite character is included. This would of course need to use our
                  normal distributed sources and not infringe trademarks with names.

                  Cheers,
                  James.

                  On 11/10/2012 8:59 PM Martijn Verburg wrote