Re: Spells and SPROP

  • FerretDave
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 5, 2012
      Greetings,

      This has prompted a question I've had for a while...

      Why does equipment use the SPROP instead of DESC ? (Or BENEFIT?) is it to do with calculations not working in DESC? Is it worth considering standardising the output tag?

      Cheers
      Dave

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 5, 2012

        Naming Convention. Weapons are imbued with Special Properties. When you apply something to a weapon,
        it's gaining a Special Property. Hence the Naming SPROP vs. DESC or BENEFIT. DESC and BENEFIT arose
        from Feats.

        Calcs work just fine in SPROP or DESC or BENEFIT.

        On 10/5/2012 8:02 AM, FerretDave wrote:
        > Greetings,
        >
        > This has prompted a question I've had for a while...
        >
        > Why does equipment use the SPROP instead of DESC ? (Or BENEFIT?) is it to do with calculations not working in DESC? Is it worth considering standardising the output tag?
        >
        > Cheers
        > Dave

        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> Well, anything is possible in theory, it all boils down to how badly you desire the functionality
        >> vs. the effort you'd have to put in.
        >>
        >> If you want an Ability to appear on the OS - Output Sheet, that's fairly easy. If you want something
        >> to appear in the SPROP of each weapon, well, that is a bit more involved.
        >>
        >> However, if you want to pursue the actual 'how it is done', you'll need to pop over to the PCGen
        >> List File Help Yahoo Group (See Link in the Post Footer).
        >>
        >> Cheers,
        >>
        >> On 10/4/2012 11:03 PM, dirtboy4000 wrote:
        >>> Hello.
        >>>
        >>> Eg. magic weapon makes a weapon good aligned. I see that the preview outputs the sprop of the weapon. So I'm trying to create a PREAPPLY to add an SPROP to the weapon but cant' figure out how.
        >>>
        >>> working with pathfinder. I grepped the core file and didn't see any similar examples.
        >>>
        >>> can this be done and if so how?
        >>>
        >>> Thanks much.
        >>>
        >>> ps. I would also like to do similar with an ability (smite evil for example).

        >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
        >>>

        >> --
        >> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        >> Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
        >> Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

      • Stefan Radermacher
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 5, 2012
          > Naming Convention. Weapons are imbued with Special Properties. When you apply something to a weapon,
          > it's gaining a Special Property. Hence the Naming SPROP vs. DESC or BENEFIT. DESC and BENEFIT arose
          > from Feats.

          Also SPROP entries can be generated from EQMODs associated with the
          equipment while DESCs are static.

          Stefan
        • FerretDave
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 8, 2012
            Greetings,
            Thanks both, makes sense, it's just that so many times I've added a DESC to an item and wondered why it didnt show... then realised and gone back and changed it to an SPROP to fix...

            Any issue with having the DESC appear in addition to any SPROP? Or perhaps in the same (optional/user setting) way of using BENEFIT over DESC elsewhere?

            Cheers
            Dave

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 8, 2012
              Oh, no reason at all I suppose, other than the code doesn't support it and you'd need to open a Code
              Feature request - which would be to add the support to the files, then another request to get the
              export and a third for the house rule. But to be honest, I don't see a viable need for it. SPROP is
              a perfectly reasonable tag, it supports variable names, and PRExxx tags. It is for Equipment and
              Equipment Mods.

              DESC / BENEFIT serves a useful purpose. Hence the support is there. Asking to add a redundant
              feature would be, well... pointless. That's a lot of work to support something that shouldn't be an
              issue in the first place.

              Just remember, you describe feats, spells, and abilities. You don't describe items. They have
              special properties.

              Cheers,

              On 10/8/2012 1:14 AM, FerretDave wrote:
              > Greetings,
              > Thanks both, makes sense, it's just that so many times I've added a DESC to an item and wondered why it didnt show... then realised and gone back and changed it to an SPROP to fix...
              >
              > Any issue with having the DESC appear in addition to any SPROP? Or perhaps in the same (optional/user setting) way of using BENEFIT over DESC elsewhere?
              >
              > Cheers
              > Dave
              >
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Radermacher <stefan@...> wrote:
              >>> Naming Convention. Weapons are imbued with Special Properties. When you apply something to a weapon,
              >>> it's gaining a Special Property. Hence the Naming SPROP vs. DESC or BENEFIT. DESC and BENEFIT arose
              >>> from Feats.
              >> Also SPROP entries can be generated from EQMODs associated with the
              >> equipment while DESCs are static.
              >>
              >> Stefan

            • FerretDave
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 8, 2012