Weird misc modifier penalty

  • huddleston50
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2012
      Using SRD 3.5 rules in PCGen 5.17.18, it seems like halflings are given a -4 misc modifier to their Jump skill, and I don't know why. According to the 3.5 Player's guide, they should be getting a +2 racial bonus. I'm staring a character from scratch, so I don't know what could be causing it. I also don't know very much about the internals of this program, so I don't know how to tear the application apart to try and figure out if there's some other factor affecting this stat.
    • James Dempsey
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 28, 2012

        On 29/09/2012 2:03 PM huddleston50 wrote
        > Using SRD 3.5 rules in PCGen 5.17.18, it seems like halflings are given a -4 misc modifier to their Jump skill, and I don't know why. According to the 3.5 Player's guide, they should be getting a +2 racial bonus. I'm staring a character from scratch, so I don't know what could be causing it. I also don't know very much about the internals of this program, so I don't know how to tear the application apart to try and figure out if there's some other factor affecting this stat.

        It is probably due to their movement rate.

        Note: You can turn on the skill modifier breakdown option via the
        Display Options preference panel - it will tell you a bit more about it.
        You could also try the troubleshooting preview sheet.

        Cheers,
        James.
      • senseileroof
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29, 2012
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "huddleston50" <huddleston50@...> wrote:

          > Using SRD 3.5 rules in PCGen 5.17.18, it seems like halflings are given a -4 misc modifier to their Jump skill, and I don't know why. According to the 3.5 Player's guide, they should be getting a +2 racial bonus. I'm staring a character from scratch, so I don't know what could be causing it. I also don't know very much about the internals of this program, so I don't know how to tear the application apart to try and figure out if there's some other factor affecting this stat.

          Isn't it a size penalty?
        • Paul
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 29, 2012
            Check your weight carried.

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "senseileroof" <senseileroof@...> wrote:

            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "huddleston50" <huddleston50@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Using SRD 3.5 rules in PCGen 5.17.18, it seems like halflings are given a -4 misc modifier to their Jump skill, and I don't know why. According to the 3.5 Player's guide, they should be getting a +2 racial bonus. I'm staring a character from scratch, so I don't know what could be causing it. I also don't know very much about the internals of this program, so I don't know how to tear the application apart to try and figure out if there's some other factor affecting this stat.
            > >
            > Isn't it a size penalty?

          • Barak
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 30, 2012

              It's the halflings base speed of 20.

              From the PHB:

              "Your Jump check is modified by your speed. If your speed is 30
              feet (the speed of an unarmored human), then no modifier based
              on speed applies to the check. If your speed is less than 30 feet,
              you take a -6 penalty for every 10 feet of speed less than 30 feet."

              So the halfling gets -6 for low speed (20), +2 racial for a total of -4.

              Barak