Re: Pathfinder Skill Point Calculations

  • Allen Cohn
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 27, 2012
      Thanks, James.

      I don't think that's it. Just to confirm, I leveled the character to 2nd and only 1 point was added, not the two I expected (1 for 2nd level and 1 for human).

      Allen

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 27, 2012

        Please cite the source of the rule that states it is only from the class skill points.

        Cheers,

        On 9/27/2012 7:31 PM, Allen Cohn wrote:
        > Thanks, James.
        > I don't think that's it. Just to confirm, I leveled the character to 2nd and only 1 point was added, not the two I expected (1 for 2nd level and 1 for human).
        >
        > Allen

        >> Hi Allen,
        >>
        >> One thing that might be causing confusion here is that the skill rank from
        >> your favored class (if you choose that option) is selected on the feats an
        >> abilities tab rather than the Skill tab.
        >>
        >> Cheers,
        >> James Dempsey
        >> PCGen Code SB

      • Allen Cohn
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 27, 2012
          I just did some research. Although it's not crystal clear in the rules, James Jacobs (Paizo exec) has stated that the "minimum function" is applied before the human race and favored class bonuses, and this interpretation has become part of the unofficial FAQ.

          http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/pathfinder-faq#TOC-Acquiring-Skills-4-13-10-

          Allen

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 27, 2012
            Thanks for the research -
            I dislike "unofficial" in any title, even if it's quoting a person involved in the book. We have to
            go by the book and 'official' errata put out by the publisher. I can't justify pushing for a change
            for an unofficial ruling this late in the cycle.

            However, you can open a Feature Request for it. What you're asking involves either a Code Change
            (Which at this point would be a NEW TAG Request) or a Data Change. It won't likely get addressed
            till after the 6.0 release though. Beta phase and rapidly moving towards our final release.

            I'll take into consideration such things, when an object's design is unclear - like a bad
            abbreviation, or wording that makes it difficult to determine intent.

            Cheers,

            On 9/27/2012 9:50 PM, Allen Cohn wrote:
            > I just did some research. Although it's not crystal clear in the rules, James Jacobs (Paizo exec) has stated that the "minimum function" is applied before the human race and favored class bonuses, and this interpretation has become part of the unofficial FAQ.
            >
            > http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/pathfinder-faq#TOC-Acquiring-Skills-4-13-10-
            >
            > Allen

            >> Hi,
            >>
            >> Please cite the source of the rule that states it is only from the class skill points.
            >>
            >> Cheers,

          • Allen Cohn
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 28, 2012
              Thanks, Andrew.

              It sounds like the PCGen team thinks that PCGen is following the rules correctly now. So, no need for PCGen change.

              I'll just use the interface to force an extra skill point each level. That should solve the needs of my table's alternate interpretation.

              Thanks,
              Allen

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 28, 2012
                We endeavor to follow the official rules of the source, even if they might be outdated. Looking at
                that page, the comment was made April 2010, and it's now September 2012.

                I can have a PL monkey poke them and see if they put it in an errata update and we missed it.

                Like I said, make a JIRA. We can work something out in the alpha cycle of 6.2. But we're a bit too
                late to alter things for 6.0.

                If you want to make it work without the manual adjustment - Remove the BONUS:SKILLPOOL from the
                human trait, instead change it to 'BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Human Skill Point|TL'

                Create the 'Human Skill Point' Abilitycategory. Make an ability (You can model it from the one I use
                in Eclipse)

                ~ Full Skill Buy KEY:Full Skill Buy OUTPUTNAME:~ Skill Buy Choice
                CATEGORY:Skill Buy TYPE:SkillBuy.FullCost STACK:YES MULT:YES
                CHOOSE:SKILL|TYPE=AdeptChoice BONUS:SKILLRANK|%LIST|1 COST:1

                Hope that helps.

                Cheers,