Re: [pcgen] Re: Pathfinder Skill Point Calculations

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 27, 2012
      Hi Allen,

      One thing that might be causing confusion here is that the skill rank from
      your favored class (if you choose that option) is selected on the feats an
      abilities tab rather than the Skill tab.

      Cheers,
      James Dempsey
      PCGen Code SB

      On 28 September 2012 11:09, Allen Cohn <allen@...> wrote:

      > But shouldn't the "1 point minimum per level no matter what the INT
      > penalty is" be applied *before* the human bonus of 1 point per level and
      > before the favored class bonus?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Allen

      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > It's correct.
      > >
      > > Math is math. There is no limiter on the Int penalty. PCGen will still
      > give you 1 skill point per
      > > level if the negatives outweigh the positives.
      > >
      > > On 9/27/2012 3:23 PM, allencohn wrote:
      > > > Hello!
      > > >
      > > > The number of skill points granted doesn't match my
      > expectation...either I'm wrong on the rules or there may be a calculation
      > error.
      > > >
      > > > I loaded the basic Pathfinder for player dataset, created a human
      > cleric with INT 7.
      > > >
      > > > I thought that such a character should be granted three skill points:
      > > >
      > > > 2 for class
      > > > -2 for low INT (but actually -1 because INT penalty can't bring it
      > below 1)
      > > >
      > > > +1 for human
      > > > +1 for favored class (if I choose that favored class bonus)
      > > >
      > > > For a total of 3.
      > > >
      > > > But I only get 2...
      > > >
      > > > Thoughts? Can anyone reproduce?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > > Allen

      > PCGen List File Help:

    • Allen Cohn
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 27, 2012
        Thanks, James.

        I don't think that's it. Just to confirm, I leveled the character to 2nd and only 1 point was added, not the two I expected (1 for 2nd level and 1 for human).

        Allen

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 27, 2012
          Hi,

          Please cite the source of the rule that states it is only from the class skill points.

          Cheers,

          On 9/27/2012 7:31 PM, Allen Cohn wrote:
          > Thanks, James.
          > I don't think that's it. Just to confirm, I leveled the character to 2nd and only 1 point was added, not the two I expected (1 for 2nd level and 1 for human).
          >
          > Allen

          >> Hi Allen,
          >>
          >> One thing that might be causing confusion here is that the skill rank from
          >> your favored class (if you choose that option) is selected on the feats an
          >> abilities tab rather than the Skill tab.
          >>
          >> Cheers,
          >> James Dempsey
          >> PCGen Code SB

        • Allen Cohn
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 27, 2012
            I just did some research. Although it's not crystal clear in the rules, James Jacobs (Paizo exec) has stated that the "minimum function" is applied before the human race and favored class bonuses, and this interpretation has become part of the unofficial FAQ.

            http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/pathfinder-faq#TOC-Acquiring-Skills-4-13-10-

            Allen

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 27, 2012
              Thanks for the research -
              I dislike "unofficial" in any title, even if it's quoting a person involved in the book. We have to
              go by the book and 'official' errata put out by the publisher. I can't justify pushing for a change
              for an unofficial ruling this late in the cycle.

              However, you can open a Feature Request for it. What you're asking involves either a Code Change
              (Which at this point would be a NEW TAG Request) or a Data Change. It won't likely get addressed
              till after the 6.0 release though. Beta phase and rapidly moving towards our final release.

              I'll take into consideration such things, when an object's design is unclear - like a bad
              abbreviation, or wording that makes it difficult to determine intent.

              Cheers,

              On 9/27/2012 9:50 PM, Allen Cohn wrote:
              > I just did some research. Although it's not crystal clear in the rules, James Jacobs (Paizo exec) has stated that the "minimum function" is applied before the human race and favored class bonuses, and this interpretation has become part of the unofficial FAQ.
              >
              > http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/pathfinder-faq#TOC-Acquiring-Skills-4-13-10-
              >
              > Allen

              >> Hi,
              >>
              >> Please cite the source of the rule that states it is only from the class skill points.
              >>
              >> Cheers,

            • Allen Cohn
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 28, 2012
                Thanks, Andrew.

                It sounds like the PCGen team thinks that PCGen is following the rules correctly now. So, no need for PCGen change.

                I'll just use the interface to force an extra skill point each level. That should solve the needs of my table's alternate interpretation.

                Thanks,
                Allen

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 28, 2012
                  We endeavor to follow the official rules of the source, even if they might be outdated. Looking at
                  that page, the comment was made April 2010, and it's now September 2012.

                  I can have a PL monkey poke them and see if they put it in an errata update and we missed it.

                  Like I said, make a JIRA. We can work something out in the alpha cycle of 6.2. But we're a bit too
                  late to alter things for 6.0.

                  If you want to make it work without the manual adjustment - Remove the BONUS:SKILLPOOL from the
                  human trait, instead change it to 'BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Human Skill Point|TL'

                  Create the 'Human Skill Point' Abilitycategory. Make an ability (You can model it from the one I use
                  in Eclipse)

                  ~ Full Skill Buy KEY:Full Skill Buy OUTPUTNAME:~ Skill Buy Choice
                  CATEGORY:Skill Buy TYPE:SkillBuy.FullCost STACK:YES MULT:YES
                  CHOOSE:SKILL|TYPE=AdeptChoice BONUS:SKILLRANK|%LIST|1 COST:1

                  Hope that helps.

                  Cheers,