PCGen on Mountain Lion

  • Eric C Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 20 5:49 PM
      Hi Folks!

      I run a Mac with Snow Leopard and I've been contemplating moving to Mountain Lion. Are there any other Mac users who are already on Mountain Lion?

      Does GateKeeper interfere with PCGen at all?

      Thanks!

      Maredudd
    • Henk Slaaf
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 20 11:28 PM
        Partial answer:

        I'm on Lion. Works fine.

        Best,

        Henk
        On Sep 21, 2012 2:49 AM, "Eric C Smith" <maredudd@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi Folks!
        >
        > I run a Mac with Snow Leopard and I've been contemplating moving to
        > Mountain Lion. Are there any other Mac users who are already on Mountain
        > Lion?
        >
        > Does GateKeeper interfere with PCGen at all?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Maredudd

      • Eric C Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 21 8:22 AM
          HI Henk and thanks for the reply but I don't think that helps. :-)

          Lion either did not have Gatekeeper or Gatekeeper wasn't fully functional yet. What I'm looking for is someone who uses Mountain Lion and can report how Gatekeeper does, or does not, allow PCGen to launch . . .

          Thanks!

          Maredudd

          On Sep 21, 2012, at 2:28 AM, Henk Slaaf wrote:

          > Partial answer:
          >
          > I'm on Lion. Works fine.
          >
          > Best,
          >
          > Henk
          > On Sep 21, 2012 2:49 AM, "Eric C Smith" <maredudd@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Hi Folks!
          > >
          > > I run a Mac with Snow Leopard and I've been contemplating moving to
          > > Mountain Lion. Are there any other Mac users who are already on Mountain
          > > Lion?
          > >
          > > Does GateKeeper interfere with PCGen at all?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > >
          > > Maredudd

        • Stefan Radermacher
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 21 8:57 AM
            Eric,

            PCGen runs fine on my MacBook wth Mountain Lion. Bear in mind though,
            that I do not use the installer but run the program directly from my
            workspace. I don't think this should make a difference, though.

            Regard
            Stefan

            Am 21.09.12 17:22, schrieb Eric C Smith:
            > HI Henk and thanks for the reply but I don't think that helps. :-)
            >
            > Lion either did not have Gatekeeper or Gatekeeper wasn't fully functional yet. What I'm looking for is someone who uses Mountain Lion and can report how Gatekeeper does, or does not, allow PCGen to launch . . .
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Maredudd
            >
            > On Sep 21, 2012, at 2:28 AM, Henk Slaaf wrote:
            >
            >> Partial answer:
            >>
            >> I'm on Lion. Works fine.
            >>
            >> Best,
            >>
            >> Henk
            >> On Sep 21, 2012 2:49 AM, "Eric C Smith" <maredudd@...> wrote:
            >>
            >>> **
            >>>

            >>> Hi Folks!
            >>>
            >>> I run a Mac with Snow Leopard and I've been contemplating moving to
            >>> Mountain Lion. Are there any other Mac users who are already on Mountain
            >>> Lion?
            >>>
            >>> Does GateKeeper interfere with PCGen at all?
            >>>
            >>> Thanks!
            >>>
            >>> Maredudd

          • Eric C Smith
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 21 9:38 AM
              Hi Stefan,

              I've done some looking around and it looks like it might make a difference. Software installed from a disk, or that was installed prior to the upgrade to Mountain Lion are not checke, but as I understand so far, anything d/l'd from the internet, and that will include PCGen's dmg for the mac version, gets flagged as a d/l. As I understand it Gatekeeper checks the file to be loaded to see if it was d/l'd from the internet and if it was then it must be signed with an Apple Developer ID.

              I understand that it is possible to bypass Gatekeeper. I just what to verify what exactly will happen with the Mac version of PCGen.

              Maredudd

              On Sep 21, 2012, at 11:57 AM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:

              > Eric,
              >
              > PCGen runs fine on my MacBook wth Mountain Lion. Bear in mind though,
              > that I do not use the installer but run the program directly from my
              > workspace. I don't think this should make a difference, though.
              >
              > Regard
              > Stefan
              >
              > Am 21.09.12 17:22, schrieb Eric C Smith:
              >> HI Henk and thanks for the reply but I don't think that helps. :-)
              >>
              >> Lion either did not have Gatekeeper or Gatekeeper wasn't fully functional yet. What I'm looking for is someone who uses Mountain Lion and can report how Gatekeeper does, or does not, allow PCGen to launch . . .
              >>
              >> Thanks!
              >>
              >> Maredudd
              >>
              >> On Sep 21, 2012, at 2:28 AM, Henk Slaaf wrote:
              >>
              >>> Partial answer:
              >>>
              >>> I'm on Lion. Works fine.
              >>>
              >>> Best,
              >>>
              >>> Henk

              >> Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Stefan Radermacher
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 21 9:42 AM
                I'm check out how it goes with the current dmg file.

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 21 9:44 AM
                  Thanks!

                  When you get back, please also confirm what your Gatekeeper setting is . . . :-)

                  Maredudd

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 21 9:58 AM
                    OK, so I've dragged the program from the dmg window to my Applications
                    folder. When I start it from there (or via Alfred), PCGen starts up
                    without a problem an without a warning dialog. My Gatekeeper is set to
                    the default of allowing programs from the App Store and from verified
                    developers.

                    I would have expected the dialog ("PCGen is a downoad from the Internet.
                    Do you really want to start it?") but it might be that my MacBook has
                    already cleard PCGen since I've previously run the self-compiled
                    version. I don't know if I can remove it from that list to test again.

                    Stefan.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 21 10:12 AM
                      Hmmm, you could be right but I think we'll need to dig a little deeper.

                      When I upgrade, which will be in the next month or so, I'll start with a clean slate and try it out as well.

                      Thanks!

                      Maredudd