Re: Advanced Race Guide?

  • dave_the_ferret
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 13, 2012
      Greetings,

      >I also foresee some potential difficulties from the fact that this book
      >overlaps or borrows from every previous Paizo Pathfinder hardcover
      >rulebook, and a few of the paperback ones as well. Getting them to play
      >nice together may take some work.

      While I (still!) don't use Pathfinder (soon I hope...) I have had similar issues with homebrew around 3.5 and the Forgotten realms stuff.

      One of the approaches I took (which is fine for my own homebrew) was to assume that certain combinations would always be used, and I built those together.

      A more appropriate method however, that I've toyed with (and with some success) is to effectively build just about everything into a 'core set' (so it's all defined regardless of which other sets you include), but essentially have a 'PRE' on relevant 'expansion' bits to prevent them from being used unless the relevant expansion is used.

      In context: feat X is defined (slightly differently) in books B & C, but not in the core rulebook A. If I include A,B & C as sources, the feat is duplicated, and complains, while it's fine if I only include B *or* C.
      Solution - define the feat in A (with little or no detail - perhaps just a note to which sources you need for it), with a PRE to prevent it from being used, and then in each of B & C, they .MOD it to the appropriate description and remove the PRE.
      The .MOD's should be applied in the date order of the expansion, so it's then safe to include one or the other, or both.

      It may be prudent to consider something like this approach for sources to alleviate this issue?

      Cheers
      Dave