Re: [pcgen] Re: [Pathfinder] [Core] [Race] [Vision]

    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012

      That is ugly and definitely won't work properly. Only core races have the dummy names, I see Races I
      didn't code up, for those races, and shucks, all the rest all you need is:
      PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Vision ~ Darkvision,Vision ~ Low-Light

      If you are seeking to use the system for PF Swap system.

      Though, if you want to use PREVISION, that is still a Viable method as well. The above was set up as
      part of a system to allow swapping out vision modes visa vi traits. Since that was the request.

      Cheers,

      On 9/10/2012 12:00 PM, tripleduck wrote:
      >> Kill Switch to disable any Racial Vision - Variable 'RacialVision'
      >> not equal to 1. [...] Dummy Ability for the Vision. Set the
      >> RacialVision to 1, and set it's TYPE to 'RacialVision' - This
      >> DISABLES the GameMode Granted Bonus.
      > I truly wish I understood how to implement this :) I'm feeling frustrated at my lack of understanding of the system as a whole. I'm trying to make a feat that relies on Darkvision or lowlight, and I'm not having a lot of luck with the PREABILITY line.
      >
      > The only way I've gotten it to work is to specifically call out each race's Darkvision or Low-Light ability as such:
      >
      > PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Darkvision ~ Half-Orc|Darkvision ~ Dwarf|Darkvision ~ Aasimar|Darkvision ~ Dhampir|Darkvision ~ Drow|Darkvision ~ Fetchling|Darkvision ~ Goblin|Darkvision ~ Hobgoblin|Darkvision ~ Ifrit
      >
      > It works, but it's ugly as all get out. Using only "Darkvision" doesn't work. There's got to be a simpler way, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

    • tripleduck
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer <adventure@...> wrote:
        > Why aren't you using PREVISION:?

        My understanding is that PREVISION doesn't care from where the Darkvision and Low-Light are gained, only that the character has them. I'm working specifically on the Moonlight Stalker Feats from UC, which require racially gained darkvision or low-light. So if the character has darkvision or low-light, but aren't from his race, they cannot take the feat(s).
      • tripleduck
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012
          > PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Vision ~ Darkvision,Vision ~
          > Low-Light
          > Though, if you want to use PREVISION, that is still a Viable method
          > as well. The above was set up as part of a system to allow swapping
          > out vision modes visa vi traits. Since that was the request.

          Swapping out vision types is definitely a big part of it, since the ARG has racial traits to do just that. However, the Jira also specifically mentions using "racial trait" darkvision and low-light as feat prerequisites. It was like the first thing I said :)

          Really, if PREVISION and/or the PREABILITY line as given above take into account whether or not the vision type is a racial trait only, then it's all a moot point and your method or PREVISION would work dandy.
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012

            Oh, then I can help there. Let's make it really simple -

            PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,TYPE.RacialVision

            Any Race with the swappable Abilities HAVE this TYPE in those "Dummy" abilities.

            Hope that helps. (Lot less bulky then spelling out each ability).

            On 9/10/2012 1:14 PM, tripleduck wrote:
            >> PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Vision ~ Darkvision,Vision ~
            >> Low-Light
            >> Though, if you want to use PREVISION, that is still a Viable method
            >> as well. The above was set up as part of a system to allow swapping
            >> out vision modes visa vi traits. Since that was the request.
            > Swapping out vision types is definitely a big part of it, since the ARG has racial traits to do just that. However, the Jira also specifically mentions using "racial trait" darkvision and low-light as feat prerequisites. It was like the first thing I said :)
            >
            > Really, if PREVISION and/or the PREABILITY line as given above take into account whether or not the vision type is a racial trait only, then it's all a moot point and your method or PREVISION would work dandy.

          • Doug Limmer
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012
              Will that be able to tell the difference between Darkvision and
              Low-Light Vision, if a specific one is required (e.g., darkvision as a
              racial ability is required; low-light vision doesn't let one qualify)?

              DS/DL

              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012

                PREMULT:2,[PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,TYPE.RacialVision],[Second Qualifier]

                Second qualifier - PREVISION or PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Vision ~ <Z>

                z= Darkvision or Low-Light

                Whichever you'd like ;)

                Cheers,

                On 9/10/2012 4:26 PM, Doug Limmer wrote:
                > Will that be able to tell the difference between Darkvision and
                > Low-Light Vision, if a specific one is required (e.g., darkvision as a
                > racial ability is required; low-light vision doesn't let one qualify)?
                >
                > DS/DL
                >
                > On 9/10/2012 7:02 PM, Andrew wrote:
                >> Hi,
                >>
                >> Oh, then I can help there. Let's make it really simple -
                >>
                >> PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,TYPE.RacialVision
                >>
                >> Any Race with the swappable Abilities HAVE this TYPE in those "Dummy"
                >> abilities.
                >>
                >> Hope that helps. (Lot less bulky then spelling out each ability).
                >>
                >> On 9/10/2012 1:14 PM, tripleduck wrote:
                >>> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>,
                >>> Swapping out vision types is definitely a big part of it, since the
                >> ARG has racial traits to do just that. However, the Jira also
                >> specifically mentions using "racial trait" darkvision and low-light as
                >> feat prerequisites. It was like the first thing I said :)
                >>> Really, if PREVISION and/or the PREABILITY line as given above take
                >> into account whether or not the vision type is a racial trait only,
                >> then it's all a moot point and your method or PREVISION would work dandy.

              • Rick
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012
                  Using PCGen v5.17.16 and output sheet csheet_fantasy_std_blue_light.xslt

                  It also does not show up in the character sheet tab.

                  Rick Davis

                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012

                    Try the 'Condensed Spell Sheet', see if it appears.

                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012
                      I missed your character sheet tab. Yes, it does not appear there. Different programming languages,
                      the same fix/solution doesn't handle the htm output code.

                      But since you've asked, I'll see about Putting 'Normal' in the vision field when no other vision exists.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012

                        Vision added to the Standard Preview - Completed: At revision: 17223

                        There you go.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012

                          Works for me with the specified sheet - sent a pdf to your email.

                        • tripleduck
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 11, 2012
                            > Oh, then I can help there. Let's make it really simple -
                            > PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,TYPE.RacialVision

                            lol, I swear I tried this. :/ Well, it works now.

                            > Any Race with the swappable Abilities HAVE this TYPE in those
                            > "Dummy" abilities. Hope that helps. (Lot less bulky then spelling
                            > out each ability).

                            Absolutely! Very nice solution and not bulky.

                            There is one other issue, though, that is related to vision, but not this specific issue.

                            PREVISION now requires that each given vision type have a range given (ex Darkvision=30). The problem with this is that Low-Light doesn't exactly work like that. As per the description from Paizo, low-light races "can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light." And since how far a human can see is subjective to visibility and line-of-sight, no real number value can be assigned.

                            Take this example:
                            PREVISION:1,Darkvision=30,Low-Light

                            As a result of the =x requirement, half-elves (and other low-light races) fail the PREVISION=Low-Light, because PCGen is forcing the 30' range from Darkvision (or so I suspect) onto Low-Light.

                            Now, this is solved by using:
                            PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Vision ~ Darkvision,Vision ~ Low-Light

                            As you had suggested as an alternative. But I guess my point is, forcing PREVISION to take a range basically makes it useless for Low-Light. Unless there's something I'm just missing :)
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 11, 2012

                              Uhg, we slipped into LST coding, we really should move this over to the PCGen List File Help
                              section. Please follow up over there.

                              It shouldn't be cross-polluting, but if it's the case:

                              PREMULT:1,[PREVISION:1,Darkvision=30],[PREVISION:1,Low-Light]

                              If that works, then you have a bug.

                              You may try:

                              PREVISION:1,Low-Light,Darkvision=30