Re: [pcgen] [Pathfinder] [Core] [Race] [Vision]

  • Stefan Radermacher
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 7, 2012
      > OK, so I've literally spent the last 45 minutes scouring the LST
      > files trying to figure out how the core races are assigned vision
      > type. I seriously cannot find where this occurs.

      I'm gussing you are talking about Pathfider? They are probably hidden
      inside abiliy objects so that they can be swapped out for alternate
      racioal abilities.

      Stefan
    • tripleduck
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 7, 2012
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Radermacher <stefan@...> wrote:

        > > OK, so I've literally spent the last 45 minutes scouring the LST
        > > files trying to figure out how the core races are assigned vision
        > > type. I seriously cannot find where this occurs.
        >
        > I'm gussing you are talking about Pathfider? They are probably hidden
        > inside abiliy objects so that they can be swapped out for alternate
        > racioal abilities.

        I'd like to know where they are, specifically.
      • Stefan Radermacher
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 7, 2012
          > I'd like to know where they are, specifically.

          I've checked, they are actually coded in the racial subtype templates in
          core_rulebook/bestiary_core/pfb_template_types.lst

          Regards
          Stefan
        • Eric C Smith
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 7, 2012
            Hi Folks!

            If I recall correctly the racial vision is granted by the Race Subtype Templates. Look in the pfb_templates_types.lst file under the Bestiary folder in the Core Set.

            Maredudd

            On Sep 7, 2012, at 4:07 PM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:

            > > OK, so I've literally spent the last 45 minutes scouring the LST
            > > files trying to figure out how the core races are assigned vision
            > > type. I seriously cannot find where this occurs.
            >
            > I'm gussing you are talking about Pathfider? They are probably hidden
            > inside abiliy objects so that they can be swapped out for alternate
            > racioal abilities.
            >
            > Stefan

          • Doug Limmer
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 7, 2012
              I don't think they're currently in swap-out-able ability objects, but
              they probably should be. I know the Advanced Race Guide swaps out
              visions of some of the races, including core ones. (Example: the dwarf
              Surface Survivalist alternate racial trait loses darkvision for another
              non-vision-related trait.)

              DS/DL

              On 9/7/2012 4:07 PM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:

              > > OK, so I've literally spent the last 45 minutes scouring the LST
              > > files trying to figure out how the core races are assigned vision
              > > type. I seriously cannot find where this occurs.
              >
              > I'm gussing you are talking about Pathfider? They are probably hidden
              > inside abiliy objects so that they can be swapped out for alternate
              > racioal abilities.
              >
              > Stefan

            • Stefan Radermacher
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 7, 2012
                > I don't think they're currently in swap-out-able ability objects, but
                > they probably should be. I know the Advanced Race Guide swaps out
                > visions of some of the races, including core ones. (Example: the dwarf
                > Surface Survivalist alternate racial trait loses darkvision for another
                > non-vision-related trait.)

                Yeah it looks like they are not yet swappable. The ARG as traits at
                least for elves and drow that swap low-light vision for darkvision or
                vice versa, true.

                Stefan
              • tripleduck
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 7, 2012
                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Radermacher <stefan@...> wrote:
                  > Yeah it looks like they are not yet swappable. The ARG as traits at
                  > least for elves and drow that swap low-light vision for darkvision or
                  > vice versa, true.

                  And, there are a few feats in Ultimate Combat that rely on lowlight or darkvision racial abilities.

                  So, who do I need to buy a beer for to work on this? :)
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 7, 2012

                    Me. Open a jira and assign to me.

                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 8, 2012
                      > > So, who do I need to buy a beer for to work on this? :)
                      > Me. Open a jira and assign to me.

                      http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/DATA-598

                      However, I currently do not have permissions to assign. :)

                      Thanks! Now then, about that beer...
                    • David R. Bender
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 8, 2012
                        Assigned to Andrew.

                        -- david
                        Papa.DRB

                        My better half and me (jpg)

                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 9, 2012

                          Completed, I tested against the base races to verify nothing got broken.

                          Kill Switch to disable any Racial Vision - Variable 'RacialVision' not equal to 1.

                          Default Monsters have this automatically set to 1 by the gamemode. So no breaking anything here.

                          Races with a Racial Vision Mode that may swap out - Grant follow the model set up. Dummy Ability for
                          the Vision. Set the RacialVision to 1, and set it's TYPE to 'RacialVision' - This DISABLES the
                          GameMode Granted Bonus. Any Ability that prevents the Race from having it's Default Racial Vision
                          Mode should have the TYPE:RacialVision to prevent the GameMode from kicking in.

                          Please test it out. Any issues, let me know. But for a quick fix with expandability, I think this
                          solution is perfect. Though, if someone thinks of a flaw and wants to suggest an alternative, I'm
                          open to suggestions. But I think the solution is pretty solid in concept.

                          Also, please note the TEMPLATE still grants the visions, only the visions have been broken out into
                          abilities, and Darkvision now allows a Variable to adjust the range. 'DarkvisionRange' Since I heard
                          mention of altering the Visions.

                          Cheers,

                          On 9/8/2012 11:34 AM, David R. Bender wrote:
                          > Assigned to Andrew.
                          >
                          > -- david
                          > Papa.DRB
                          >
                          > My better half and me (jpg)

                          >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:
                          >>> Me. Open a jira and assign to me.
                          >> http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/DATA-598
                          >>
                          >> However, I currently do not have permissions to assign. :)
                          >>
                          >> Thanks! Now then, about that beer...

                          >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Rick
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 9, 2012
                            Any way to have Human (Normal Vision) added to the output sheets?

                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 9, 2012

                              Uh, which sheet are you using? And which version of pcgen?

                              Any race without a vision type should be displaying 'Normal'. That was implemented by me a long
                              long time ago.

                              Cheers,

                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012
                                > Kill Switch to disable any Racial Vision - Variable 'RacialVision'
                                > not equal to 1. [...] Dummy Ability for the Vision. Set the
                                > RacialVision to 1, and set it's TYPE to 'RacialVision' - This
                                > DISABLES the GameMode Granted Bonus.

                                I truly wish I understood how to implement this :) I'm feeling frustrated at my lack of understanding of the system as a whole. I'm trying to make a feat that relies on Darkvision or lowlight, and I'm not having a lot of luck with the PREABILITY line.

                                The only way I've gotten it to work is to specifically call out each race's Darkvision or Low-Light ability as such:

                                PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Darkvision ~ Half-Orc|Darkvision ~ Dwarf|Darkvision ~ Aasimar|Darkvision ~ Dhampir|Darkvision ~ Drow|Darkvision ~ Fetchling|Darkvision ~ Goblin|Darkvision ~ Hobgoblin|Darkvision ~ Ifrit

                                It works, but it's ugly as all get out. Using only "Darkvision" doesn't work. There's got to be a simpler way, but I haven't been able to figure it out.
                              • Doug Limmer
                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012
                                  Why aren't you using PREVISION:?

                                  DS/DL

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012

                                    That is ugly and definitely won't work properly. Only core races have the dummy names, I see Races I
                                    didn't code up, for those races, and shucks, all the rest all you need is:
                                    PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Vision ~ Darkvision,Vision ~ Low-Light

                                    If you are seeking to use the system for PF Swap system.

                                    Though, if you want to use PREVISION, that is still a Viable method as well. The above was set up as
                                    part of a system to allow swapping out vision modes visa vi traits. Since that was the request.

                                    Cheers,

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012
                                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer <adventure@...> wrote:
                                      > Why aren't you using PREVISION:?

                                      My understanding is that PREVISION doesn't care from where the Darkvision and Low-Light are gained, only that the character has them. I'm working specifically on the Moonlight Stalker Feats from UC, which require racially gained darkvision or low-light. So if the character has darkvision or low-light, but aren't from his race, they cannot take the feat(s).
                                    • tripleduck
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012
                                        > PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Vision ~ Darkvision,Vision ~
                                        > Low-Light
                                        > Though, if you want to use PREVISION, that is still a Viable method
                                        > as well. The above was set up as part of a system to allow swapping
                                        > out vision modes visa vi traits. Since that was the request.

                                        Swapping out vision types is definitely a big part of it, since the ARG has racial traits to do just that. However, the Jira also specifically mentions using "racial trait" darkvision and low-light as feat prerequisites. It was like the first thing I said :)

                                        Really, if PREVISION and/or the PREABILITY line as given above take into account whether or not the vision type is a racial trait only, then it's all a moot point and your method or PREVISION would work dandy.
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012

                                          Oh, then I can help there. Let's make it really simple -

                                          PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,TYPE.RacialVision

                                          Any Race with the swappable Abilities HAVE this TYPE in those "Dummy" abilities.

                                          Hope that helps. (Lot less bulky then spelling out each ability).

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012
                                            Will that be able to tell the difference between Darkvision and
                                            Low-Light Vision, if a specific one is required (e.g., darkvision as a
                                            racial ability is required; low-light vision doesn't let one qualify)?

                                            DS/DL

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012

                                              PREMULT:2,[PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,TYPE.RacialVision],[Second Qualifier]

                                              Second qualifier - PREVISION or PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Vision ~ <Z>

                                              z= Darkvision or Low-Light

                                              Whichever you'd like ;)

                                              Cheers,

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012
                                                Using PCGen v5.17.16 and output sheet csheet_fantasy_std_blue_light.xslt

                                                It also does not show up in the character sheet tab.

                                                Rick Davis

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012

                                                  Try the 'Condensed Spell Sheet', see if it appears.

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012
                                                    I missed your character sheet tab. Yes, it does not appear there. Different programming languages,
                                                    the same fix/solution doesn't handle the htm output code.

                                                    But since you've asked, I'll see about Putting 'Normal' in the vision field when no other vision exists.

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012

                                                      Vision added to the Standard Preview - Completed: At revision: 17223

                                                      There you go.

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Sep 10, 2012

                                                        Works for me with the specified sheet - sent a pdf to your email.

                                                      • tripleduck
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Sep 11, 2012
                                                          > Oh, then I can help there. Let's make it really simple -
                                                          > PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,TYPE.RacialVision

                                                          lol, I swear I tried this. :/ Well, it works now.

                                                          > Any Race with the swappable Abilities HAVE this TYPE in those
                                                          > "Dummy" abilities. Hope that helps. (Lot less bulky then spelling
                                                          > out each ability).

                                                          Absolutely! Very nice solution and not bulky.

                                                          There is one other issue, though, that is related to vision, but not this specific issue.

                                                          PREVISION now requires that each given vision type have a range given (ex Darkvision=30). The problem with this is that Low-Light doesn't exactly work like that. As per the description from Paizo, low-light races "can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light." And since how far a human can see is subjective to visibility and line-of-sight, no real number value can be assigned.

                                                          Take this example:
                                                          PREVISION:1,Darkvision=30,Low-Light

                                                          As a result of the =x requirement, half-elves (and other low-light races) fail the PREVISION=Low-Light, because PCGen is forcing the 30' range from Darkvision (or so I suspect) onto Low-Light.

                                                          Now, this is solved by using:
                                                          PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Vision ~ Darkvision,Vision ~ Low-Light

                                                          As you had suggested as an alternative. But I guess my point is, forcing PREVISION to take a range basically makes it useless for Low-Light. Unless there's something I'm just missing :)
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Sep 11, 2012

                                                            Uhg, we slipped into LST coding, we really should move this over to the PCGen List File Help
                                                            section. Please follow up over there.

                                                            It shouldn't be cross-polluting, but if it's the case:

                                                            PREMULT:1,[PREVISION:1,Darkvision=30],[PREVISION:1,Low-Light]

                                                            If that works, then you have a bug.

                                                            You may try:

                                                            PREVISION:1,Low-Light,Darkvision=30