Re: [pcgen] Re: regarding Class Features / Special Abilities listing within pcgen

  • Susan Dittmar
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 7, 2012
      Quoting Andrew (drew0500@...):
      > Though, you need to remember, besides the RSRD, SRD, MSRD and Paizo, the rest of the publishers DO
      > NOT want all the information displayed. After all, they want to be able to sell their products, and
      > we are an adjunct to making their customers happy. If we displayed everything, the feeling is the
      > customer might not purchase the book.

      No problem with me. If the mechanics is in, I can add those texts in my
      personal files without violating the publisher's intention. I did buy the
      books after all :-)

      > So, current code practices supported that stated goal. I think BENEFIT was brought into play for
      > licensed set by CMP. Anyways, that's a short history.
      >
      > And, I'm the one that did the [Normal] - It aids those coming behind trying to add the extra crunch
      > mechanics. ;)

      I think I am adverse to adding a NORMAL tag. Here's my reason.

      OK, Pathfinder (and SRD) do have a NORMAL section sometimes in the
      feat/ability description. I agree that adding this same text to the
      character sheet is a good step to take. I do so in my personal files.

      But this division into "introduction", "benefit", and "normal" sections is
      just *one* possible style of writing up an ability. I think we should not
      trap ourselves into accomodating this one style to the fullest, and by that
      blocking any other styles.

      Thus I think we should use the tags like this:

      DESC for a very brief description what the ability is about

      BENEFIT for the detailed description, maybe split into several paragraphs
      (adding newline is an existing feature request).

      Thinking of it, I am even adverse to having PCGen concatenate those two
      texts. Once we remember that the tags names do not automatically correspond
      to the sections of pathfinder's feat descriptions, we can make sure that
      the BENEFIT text contains *all* the details the user might need (in this
      case, the introductory line, the crunch and the reminder what would happen
      without this ability). It might be a bit more work when entering the data
      (though that can be helped with a clever editor macro), but it makes for
      much better texts than what auto-concatenation can yield.

      Well, just my thoughts,

      Susan
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 7, 2012

        On 9/7/2012 12:54 AM, Susan Dittmar wrote:
        > Quoting Andrew (drew0500@...):
        >> Though, you need to remember, besides the RSRD, SRD, MSRD and Paizo, the rest of the publishers DO
        >> NOT want all the information displayed. After all, they want to be able to sell their products, and
        >> we are an adjunct to making their customers happy. If we displayed everything, the feeling is the
        >> customer might not purchase the book.
        > No problem with me. If the mechanics is in, I can add those texts in my
        > personal files without violating the publisher's intention. I did buy the
        > books after all :-)

        And you may do that.

        >> So, current code practices supported that stated goal. I think BENEFIT was brought into play for
        >> licensed set by CMP. Anyways, that's a short history.
        >>
        >> And, I'm the one that did the [Normal] - It aids those coming behind trying to add the extra crunch
        >> mechanics. ;)
        > I think I am adverse to adding a NORMAL tag. Here's my reason.
        >
        > OK, Pathfinder (and SRD) do have a NORMAL section sometimes in the
        > feat/ability description. I agree that adding this same text to the
        > character sheet is a good step to take. I do so in my personal files.
        >
        > But this division into "introduction", "benefit", and "normal" sections is
        > just *one* possible style of writing up an ability. I think we should not
        > trap ourselves into accomodating this one style to the fullest, and by that
        > blocking any other styles.
        >
        > Thus I think we should use the tags like this:
        >
        > DESC for a very brief description what the ability is about
        >
        > BENEFIT for the detailed description, maybe split into several paragraphs
        > (adding newline is an existing feature request).

        New Line exists today.

        I also concur I don't intend to split out a new tag for Normal. I use a Newline and encapsulate it
        in Brackets.

        > Thinking of it, I am even adverse to having PCGen concatenate those two
        > texts. Once we remember that the tags names do not automatically correspond
        > to the sections of pathfinder's feat descriptions, we can make sure that
        > the BENEFIT text contains *all* the details the user might need (in this
        > case, the introductory line, the crunch and the reminder what would happen
        > without this ability). It might be a bit more work when entering the data
        > (though that can be helped with a clever editor macro), but it makes for
        > much better texts than what auto-concatenation can yield.

        AS a data monkey, I find the Benefit and DESC are easily done. The Text blocks are already set up
        with the separation

        A Feat Name
        blurb which is the desc
        prexxx goes here
        Benefit: More text with crunch
        Normal: If applicable.

        What would be nice is the UI to show both, depending on the User Preference, you'll either See the
        DESC and BENEFIT text (sweet) or only the BENEFIT text.

        Cheers,

        > Well, just my thoughts,
        >
        > Susan

      • tripleduck
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 7, 2012
          > Though, you need to remember, besides the RSRD, SRD, MSRD and
          > Paizo, the rest of the publishers DO NOT want all the information
          > displayed. After all, they want to be able to sell their products,
          > and we are an adjunct to making their customers happy.

          Understood. So, for the publishers that want limited information displayed, all the data is there in the datasets, but PCGen is just not allowed to show it all? Or is it limited data with the intent of directing the user to the book?

          > If we displayed everything, the feeling is the customer might not
          > purchase the book.

          I personally think this logic is flawed. :) I was going to get all into a heavy discussion about it, but realized half way through typing that it is the way it is and my not agreeing doesn't matter for two reason. 1) They aren't my companies, and 2) I usually stick to Pathfinder. :)

          > And, I'm the one that did the [Normal] - It aids those coming
          > behind trying to add the extra crunch mechanics. ;)

          :) It makes me happy.

          > I also concur I don't intend to split out a new tag for Normal. I
          > use a Newline and encapsulate it in Brackets.

          Sorry, I didn't mean to imply PCGen should have a NORMAL tag. There are so many things about the inner-workings of PCGen I don't know, and trust that those of you who do are far more capable of determining what will work and not work. :)

          > What would be nice is the UI to show both, depending on the User
          > Preference, you'll either See the DESC and BENEFIT text (sweet) or
          > only the BENEFIT text.

          +1 :)
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 7, 2012
            in line -

            On 9/7/2012 8:33 AM, tripleduck wrote:
            >> Though, you need to remember, besides the RSRD, SRD, MSRD and
            >> Paizo, the rest of the publishers DO NOT want all the information
            >> displayed. After all, they want to be able to sell their products,
            >> and we are an adjunct to making their customers happy.
            > Understood. So, for the publishers that want limited information displayed, all the data is there in the datasets, but PCGen is just not allowed to show it all? Or is it limited data with the intent of directing the user to the book?

            The info in the set is only what the publisher allows.

            >> If we displayed everything, the feeling is the customer might not
            >> purchase the book.
            > I personally think this logic is flawed. :) I was going to get all into a heavy discussion about it, but realized half way through typing that it is the way it is and my not agreeing doesn't matter for two reason. 1) They aren't my companies, and 2) I usually stick to Pathfinder. :)

            Long history. Paizo has bucked past trends, but we must continue to make our existing publishers
            happy. Tis is what we as a community have stated we will adhere too.