Re: [pcgen] Re: Arcana evolved

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 27, 2012

      I have. What is the issue you are having?

      On 8/27/2012 7:53 PM, Toras wrote:
      > Okay I have to ask. Has anyone ever managed to get this to work? I know I've looked at it a few times but I've never managed to get the script to update to work.
      >
      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...> wrote:
      >> Hi Folks!
      >>
      >> If the files are the original files the problem is that PCGen has changed enough that they will no longer work. The last version of PCGen that CMP supported was 5.12.x. The files can be updated to the latest version of PCGen but that will require a bit of work on your part. There is a script floating around that will get you started in the conversion but I believe that will only get you to PCGen 5.14.x. After that you can use the Batch Converter that comes with PCGen to do the bulk of the conversions for you.
      >>
      >> Maredudd
      >>
      >> On Aug 26, 2012, at 2:28 PM, retrev42 wrote:
      >>
      >>> Has anyone been able to get the data files from Arcana Evolved working on a recent version of PCGen? They were originally developed by Code Mokey Publishing which appears to be defunct now. I tried loading the files in daily 41716 and there's a crash on startup (during the data file loading) if I have the game system files in place. Using 5.16.4 I can load and select the AE game system but none of the sources show up in the load screen.

    • Toras
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 2012
        I've downloaded the script from the wiki page, and loaded perl to my computer but when I try to run the script I get nothing. Trying to run the automatic updater in pcgen on the theory that the script might not have a visual confirmation just leaves me with the updater function locked up and having to kill the process to shut it down.

        The only other way I saw to update was to try and load in the current version of PCgen, copy all of the errors to another file and then go through one line at a time and fix it. That obiously takes to damn long so I leave the old datasets sitting in a backup directory unused.

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 29, 2012

          Have you read the instructions?

          The perl script needs a BAT to work. You should see a command prompt pop up and then close once the
          script finishes.

          On 8/28/2012 10:18 PM, Toras wrote:
          > I've downloaded the script from the wiki page, and loaded perl to my computer but when I try to run the script I get nothing. Trying to run the automatic updater in pcgen on the theory that the script might not have a visual confirmation just leaves me with the updater function locked up and having to kill the process to shut it down.
          >
          > The only other way I saw to update was to try and load in the current version of PCgen, copy all of the errors to another file and then go through one line at a time and fix it. That obiously takes to damn long so I leave the old datasets sitting in a backup directory unused.

          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> I have. What is the issue you are having?
          >>

          >> On 8/27/2012 7:53 PM, Toras wrote:
          >>> Okay I have to ask. Has anyone ever managed to get this to work? I know I've looked at it a few times but I've never managed to get the script to update to work.

          >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
          >>>

          >> --
          >> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
          >> Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
          >> Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

        • FerretDave
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 31, 2012
            >I've downloaded the script from the wiki page, and loaded perl to my computer but when I try to run the script I get nothing.

            That's the bit to try and fix, you really need to run the scrip before trying to use the built in converter.

            If you open a command window up, and run the bat from that (instead of double clicking it to run), you'll see all the output and perhaps from that we can figure out where the problem lies... I.E is perl on your PATH?

            Cheers