Bracketed bonus on skill

  • FerretDave
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2012
      Greetings,

      I'm seeing the number of ranks in one skill appearing inside of square brackets on the PDF sheet, what does this imply?

      I.E Ranger with 7 ranks in survival, and +1 from stat displays as:

      Survival WIS 8 = 1 + 7
      Survival (Find or Follow Tracks) WIS 10 = 1 + [7] + 2

      (the +2 is from synergy with Search 7 ranks)

      Why is the 7 bracketed on the granted/sub skill ?

      Cheers
      Dave
      Using 5.16.17, RSRD
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2012

        Survival (Find or follow tracks) is a subskill gaining ranks from another skill, the brackets
        indicate you didn't spend those points in the ranks.

        On 8/1/2012 4:00 PM, FerretDave wrote:
        > Greetings,
        >
        > I'm seeing the number of ranks in one skill appearing inside of square brackets on the PDF sheet, what does this imply?
        >

        > I.E Ranger with 7 ranks in survival, and +1 from stat displays as:
        >
        > Survival WIS 8 = 1 + 7
        > Survival (Find or Follow Tracks) WIS 10 = 1 + [7] + 2
        >
        > (the +2 is from synergy with Search 7 ranks)
        >
        > Why is the 7 bracketed on the granted/sub skill ?
        >
        > Cheers
        > Dave
        > Using 5.16.17, RSRD

      • FerretDave
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2012
          :-) makes perfect sense, thank you!

          > Survival (Find or follow tracks) is a subskill gaining ranks from another skill, the brackets
          > indicate you didn't spend those points in the ranks.
          >
          > On 8/1/2012 4:00 PM, FerretDave wrote:
          > > Greetings,
          > >
          > > I'm seeing the number of ranks in one skill appearing inside of square brackets on the PDF sheet, what does this imply?
          > >

          > > I.E Ranger with 7 ranks in survival, and +1 from stat displays as:
          > >
          > > Survival WIS 8 = 1 + 7
          > > Survival (Find or Follow Tracks) WIS 10 = 1 + [7] + 2
          > >
          > > (the +2 is from synergy with Search 7 ranks)
          > >
          > > Why is the 7 bracketed on the granted/sub skill ?
          > >
          > > Cheers
          > > Dave
          > > Using 5.16.17, RSRD

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > --
          > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
          > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
          > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

        • Susan Dittmar
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6, 2012
            Quoting FerretDave (ferret.griffin@...):
            > Greetings,
            >
            > I'm seeing the number of ranks in one skill appearing inside of square brackets on the PDF sheet, what does this imply?
            >
            > I.E Ranger with 7 ranks in survival, and +1 from stat displays as:
            >
            > Survival WIS 8 = 1 + 7
            > Survival (Find or Follow Tracks) WIS 10 = 1 + [7] + 2
            >
            > (the +2 is from synergy with Search 7 ranks)
            >
            > Why is the 7 bracketed on the granted/sub skill ?

            This starts to become a FAQ :-)

            The brackets indicate that this is a doublicate entry (in this case, a
            special use of the Survival skill). It tells that you paid for the skill
            ranks of "Survival", but (correctly) not for the additional skill "Survial
            (Find or Follow Tracks)". Thus, if you want to calculate your skill point
            total, you must not take into account those bracketed values. On the other
            hand, if you think about what to raise on next level up, you need not
            consider those bracketed values, as they are raised together with their
            base skill.

            Hope that helps,

            Susan
          • FerretDave
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 28, 2012
              Drew had already beaten you to the answer, but it all helps, thanks!